Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Towing car in rain - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Towing car in rain

gdr

Has anyone towed their cars on an open trailer with the cover on? I have the proper Lotus cover with soft inner lining, but am concerned that doing this might result in wearing through the paintwork as cover flaps in the breeze.

I've just acquired a launch edition 2-Eleven after some years of Exige ownership. Although I know it is the soft option, I think I will probably tow the car to trackdays, some of the time at least (my nearest circuit is Knockhill, 1 1/2 hours away, Oulton is 6 hours, one of the drawbacks of living in NE Scotland).

I've been looking into trailers, and while best option probably the Brian James RS3, its a tad expensive so am considering an open trailer, but would like to protect the Lotus from wet and muck if towing in poor weather. Alternatively a pvc fabric covered trailer might work.

Advice appreciated.

Errrr, not wishing to do young Bibbo out of a sale :ball: ....but TBH I'd be very wary of putting a cover on a car and then subjecting it to a 50 - 60 MPH buffetting. I had an expensive so called "supersoft outdoor cover" for my Carlton and in just one windy season it rubbed the paint off the ends of the wing mirrors and other rubbing points. Even if this cover it up to the job on a clean car, IMO all of the dust and grit on the car once its used will get in the fibres on the way back and thereafter scratch it to bu**ery.

I've got a BJ A310 trailer which is excellent but open, so as you rightly fear, the tow car covers the towed car in yucky smegma - very bad if the towed car is open! So

1st Choice - get the RS3 (or similar) that your car deserves...http://www.brianjames.co.uk/downloads/BJT09_Shuttle_Price_List.pdf

2nd Choice - revert to your Exige ways and put the closed car on an open trailer.

3rd Choice - Get some custom made waterproof seat covers (and steering wheel cover) like the mud pluggers use in expensively leathered 4x4s and then use an open trailer.

http://www.climatecovers.com/?gclid=CPHC34qB950CFWlr4wodnUANqQ

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Thanks - the cover supplied with the car is pretty good, so I think little advantage in upgrading that. The point about dirt and grit causing mayhem on a dirty car is very valid, it might leave home clean, but after a track day not practical to wash for return journey.

No intention of reverting to the Exige, good though it was, so left with the 2 options mentioned!

I guess the RS3 could double as a caravan.

Can't you use the Lotus cover with the cover Bibs suggested over it? The outer cover would flap about but it would beat against the Lotus cover rather than your paint.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

RS3 is the way forward - at least that's what I think having used one for 2 years now. It keeps all sorts of weather out!

Has the added advantage of preventing the pickey fraternity collecting souvenirs (fuel cap, elctrical shut-off switch) and stops cheeky kids climbing in/being planted in by their care-nothing parents and playing with all the knobs and switches.

Unlike ScottyC, I am no driving god so needed to prepare for the day when I bined it into the barriers and it wasn't drivable.

Of course you could hang on for the long promised Lotus Leather Tonneau, but don't hold your breath!

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

RS3 it is. But looks like I will be picking up the car before trailer arrives, so may have pleasure of a quick winter run from Edinburgh to Banchory this weekend, possibly via Knockhill and/or Glenshee.

Woolly hat, shades (and a fullface lid as back up) at the ready.

If going for an RS3, I strongly recommend getting the longer (2m) ramps as ground clearance is not great on the 2-11 (especially with the track splitter on the front). Also I have found the electric winch useful (when I binned the car).

Don't forget that you will need to reverse the 2-11 onto the trailer to keep the c of g in front of the rear axle (i.e. the bulk of the weight must be in front of rear trailer axle). I have found that with the track splitter on the front, this needs to be as near to the rear of the trailer as possible (just in front of trailer door shut line) to give very stable towing.

I have also fitted a rear view camera at the back of the trailer to eliminate the huge blind spot where small cars and motorcycles like to hide and to act as a parking aid - it really is a distinct improvement.

Apart from yourself and Scotty, how many other 2-11's on the road up here in Scotland?

• 2 weeks later...

RS3 it is. But looks like I will be picking up the car before trailer arrives, so may have pleasure of a quick winter run from Edinburgh to Banchory this weekend, possibly via Knockhill and/or Glenshee.

Woolly hat, shades (and a fullface lid as back up) at the ready.

If you want to drive it without helmet i strongly advise you a touratech windscreen you can clips on te windscreen. Especially if you are a bit taller. Keeps the flies and grit out of your face! I tend to drive it with helmet. My dealer has a brian james but don't know the type. Its a perect fit !

post-8966-125899436031_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nicely painted RS3 trailer. The 2-11 does fit really well with enough room for 4 jerry cans of fuel, a spare set of wheels, trolley jack, axle stands, tyre inflator and the standard toolbox (flat blade screwdriver plus a large roll of duct tape and an oily rag). I even find room for a folding chair for those sitting back and relaxing moments.

and how is the car?

Think you need to do a "my first impression" post?

I like. But unfortunately for various work/weather/family reasons have only had short run apart from the drive up from Edinburgh. Impressed though, like a less lardy Exige S to 6000 rpm, then feels properly quick thereafter (maybe the upgraded 260 ECU helps). Handling excellent, lighter and sharper than Exige as anticipated. Screen free motoring much less blustery than expected and is a very entertaining experience although enjoyment might wear thin after 300 motorway miles in the rain.

Will try and line up a TD before Xmas, a trek to Cadwell or Oulton could be on the cards. At this time of year will be less daunting with the trailer and I need to justify the purchase.