Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 12 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Exhaust now on - two man job D & D!

Mustard Davey Boy. :lol:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Mental Note. Label up All wiring before removing :lol::D:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

censored.gif

gathering.gif

thumbsup.gif

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

The exhaust went on ok, aligned perfectly. will not know what it sounds like til its going up the road.

speak later when i have cleaned up and are back indoors

cheers guys

• Gold FFM

Dave,

More importantly did the girls break out the chilled bottle of champagne? Just arrived in the States at the CT house. Catching a few winks then off again tomorrow.

Christopher

Dave,

More importantly did the girls break out the chilled bottle of champagne? Just arrived in the States at the CT house. Catching a few winks then off again tomorrow.

Christopher

I reckon that was his plan all along Chris. More champers for Meg, Katie and the local posse me thinx coffee.gif

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Or you would be laughing your head off :lol:

Dave Freeman you have a PM :(

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Glad to hear you're getting closer Dave. Did you guys unwrap the wiring harnesses? Otherwise I don't see how you could have even gotten some of those connectors where they were.

And that braided ground wire you found goes from the chargecooler to the turbo heat shield. I'm assuming it's a ground for the MAT sensor in the chargecooler.

1995 S4s

Thanks Jim I knew I had seen it some where. The champoo is still on ice. Paul, will send PM later.

I have put the new coil pack back on, and cjhanged some vac pipes, its looking good. The roll over tank breathers are a pain, all the bloody sizes seem different, going to make some adaptors to suit. Next job is putting the air pipes put in and then the charge cooler pump, then it is ready to start properly, hopefully it should run longer than than a few seconds. Will have to use the freescan to check that everything else is in place. No time the rest of this week so its going to have to be Saturday morning instead. Glad to hear your home safely Christopher.

Dave

Hi all, going to be doing some of the finalassembly on Saturday. Hopefully getting the car fit for the road

if anyone wants a nice drive in the sun, you are welcome to pop over

Dave

Well, success. Got all but the charge cool finished. Started her and she runs like a dream. Just one niggle the rev do not drop as they should. Now off the jack stands, tomorrow it's prime and connect the new cc pump, nuts check, fluids check, thens it's time for a run up the road to see if I have a full set of gears.

Will give final update if all goes to plan tomorrow, if it's running I will come to the r and d martyn.

Take care

Dave

Oh well, here goes the first problem, the bloody engine has eaten one of the belts. The vac pump belt is now just a bit string.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?, my first thoughts are incorrectly fitted (it looked ok) wrong pulley's, wrong belt?

Need ideas

Dave

If the pulleys are correctly aligned, the belt correctly tensioned and all components free to move then I can't think of any reason for this to happen...

Do all the pulleys move freely? Was there any significant noises prior to failure? Rubbing, grinding, squeeling etc?

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

There was a sweek but I put this down to the exhaust which is rubbing a bit, the give away something was wrong was a large amount of black dust all over the top side front of engine.

Is the dust collected in a specific place?

Chances are that if there is one location with a high concentration of the belt material then this is the point to look for the culprit!

Is there a bolt head sticking out? a casting thats in a slightly different place on the newer block causing interference? A bracket not quite on right? or a pully binding?

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Going to cut what left of the belt of and see if all pulley's are free to rotate

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifcoffee.gif

dave

dust is near top hose

Belt removed, no teeth left on it at all, now just a flat belt, both WP and VP pulley's rotate ok, good alignment of pulley's, and no obstructions anywhere I can see !

Picies of the offending belt.

Looking at the pair of beltsin place, one looks new the other old, I am now thinking the belts were not changed ?

I have just looked at the failed belt and the writing is still on it, so this one may well have been new, it looks like the steel wire on one side has failed, you can see it on the first pic, its the bit pointing down in the middle.

Edited by Dave Freeman

How tight was the belt?

The rotation of the crank would put most tension on the belt between the vac pump and the crank leaving the length to the water pump the loosest length, maybe if the belt was too loose it's been slipping constantly around the water pump pulley? It's a long shot!

The dust up the top end would indicate you need to be looking around the pump for ideas I'd say, although it's difficult without looking in person.

Chunky Lover