Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Who's upgraded their rear braking system ? - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Who's upgraded their rear braking system ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Jonathan found this in my computer I am on travel with at the moment...

post-4361-125977754611_thumb.jpg

of interest...and I will have to find the article...was a discussion about caliper placement...really made no difference in force but one car manufacturer was toying with idea of being down on the bottom of the rotor for keeping weight low thus changing the CG of the car. Will try to recall and find that article too because it was a great read. Yes I have way tooo much time in the airports...lol

Christopher

Jonathan,

if interested in, TAROX is working on rear calipers, 10 pistons, WITH parking brake.

They told me they wanted to have ut ready for september, but is not ready yet, I hope it will be ready in a short time because I want to upgrade my rear brakes too.

I already put this calipers in the from (see pic) and I am going to have same calipers on the rear when ready.

Disc will be 325 or 330 mm diameter.

Nick

post-643-125985497307_thumb.jpg

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

THanks Sanj!

I haven't actually seen pics of Neil's brakes before. I did talk with him a bunch about them last time he was in Denver.

Oh and he had talked about selling me a similar set, but then he was too busy and I found my NASCAR Brembos.

P.S. Neil must be brave... no parking brake... or did he use an in hat drum brake?

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

P.S. Neil must be brave... no parking brake... or did he use an in hat drum brake?

He had a pair of Wilwood spot calipers, but I can't recall if he ever installed them. Methinks not...

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

• 3 weeks later...

Jon, et al,

I haven't studied the issues nearly as much as many of you have so I'd like to pose this question:

Is there anything about my Hi Specs (the PNM Kit I had fitted back in 2004!) that would preclude them being used on the rear if I had the necessary bracketry fabricated?

Also, does anyone (presumably PNM) sell a complete Hi Spec 6 pot kit for the front of the pre-Brembo cars?

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Only thing I can think of Lucas is the disk thickness, if I wanted to put my AP's on the rear for example I would need a 32mm disk - you cannot really go thinner than that for that caliper because of the risk of pistons slewing and piston pop - in short there is a minimum thickness you must obide by on the caliper.

This may affect your choice of hand brake caliper and so on.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Lucas,

As Jon pointed out, the PNM 4 piston calipers do no act as a parking brake, so you'd need to add a parking brake caliper.

Most parking calipers use a spacer system that would allow them to work with nearly any thickness rotor.

Also, some calipers are designed to run in a certain orientation due to differential piston bore diameter or bleed pipe orientation.

My Brembos are designed to be specific to a corner of the car. My fronts are trailing and my rears will be leading the axles. You can move a front left trailing caliper to a front right leading caliper, only if you flip the bridge pipe and bleed screws, but at least the pistons will be in the right orientation for the rotor sweep... get it.

Not sure if the PNM have the location specificness...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Lucas,

... get it.

Got it. Thanks Travis.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a full Hi Spec upgrade from PNM. For $3K (6 pot/320mm 2-pc F and 4 pot/300mm 1-pc R w/hand brake) you can't go wrong, not for the type of driving I *mainly* do.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I was waiting to get a quote back from the guy who I bought my brembos from.

He wasn't able to give me the same price that he gave me years ago, but it may still not be bad.

He might be in a good mood since he was building the car that won the championship, last time I talked to him was just before the final race.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 4 weeks later...

Found it Jonathan...rather interesting...right up your alley

ABS dynamics with regards to brake upgrades

Might have come to haunt me this one.

Tried it out late this evening on my way to a friends - ABS chips in very harshly.

Thing is my tyres are brand spanking new, roads arn't exactly warm either (tyre temp not over 20c/68f - ambient 4c/40f) so not ideal to say the least.

If you ease the brakes OMG the car stops like hitting a wall - it's at least twice the power for the same effort.

However if you emergency brake the ABS just goes nuts and the solenoids just open robbing you of any power - I think this is more to do with the deceleration than locking.

What is further strange is that if you get the ABS to cut in, any further braking ~10secs after goes straight into ABS mode which is quite frightning.

I'm hoping this is part worst case scenario, cold, new tyres, low grip coef.

The force of the fronts alone is staggering - very might night/day (when the ABS leaves it alone !!!)

don't forget that a stiffer suspension also can effect ABS... My Acura has very good AS, but I added very stiff suspension, and over bumpy pavement (especially in the wet) the ABS will freak out, lock up the brakes and then suddenly quit braking in an attempt to prevent the wheels from locking.

It would definitely be safer with no ABS in that case.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 1 month later...

A short question from a novice when it comes to Lotus brake systems:

If you fit a bigger brake caliper on an S4/V8 without a handbrake mechanism at the rear and plan to fit a separate (spot) caliper for the handbrake, where do you fit the spot?

There is as far as I can figure out only one set of bolt holes in the hub carrier and wouldn't it be difficult to fit the handbrake caliper in the same place?

Thanks for a great forum and good input.

Well you ca either do a leading rear caliper with a bracket that mounts to the rear swing arm, and a trailing parking caliper, like this.

DSC02580.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusAPRacingBrakes#

Or you can do a trailing rear caliper with a leading parking caliper on a bracket, like this.

P8010499.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusWilwoodBrakes#

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I'm planning on the former - the S300/X180 had longer bolts through the end of the radius / swing arm into the caliper mounting, fairly easy to do.

That AP setup looks serious! I likey!

The AP is nice, very good on the track. I'm modeling mine after those.

here's what I'm doing

P1180303.JPG

P2080309.JPG

P4150186.JPG

P7070001.JPG

Brembo Racing 4 piston monoblock fronts with vented titanium pistons, and rotor is 328mmx35mm

The rear are Brembo Racing 4 piston bolted calipers with vented titanium pistons and a 313mmx25.4mm rotor.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I agree with the formers here: That's one serious braking system. It looks $$$ and with that brand and those dimensions it's going to slow the car down like nothing else. Real beauties!!

And thanks all for the really helpful advice. This forum and it's members are invaluable.