Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine mounts and other bits. Advice needed - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine mounts and other bits. Advice needed

wayneb911

Should be dropping my engine in for a trial fit in the next week or so and will need to renew all the engine mounts. Where is the cheapest place to get a complete set of engine and gearbox mounts including the main centre bolts?

What is the best paint to spray the gearbox with. Does it generate that much heat that a standard silver spray paint could not be used??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual suspect (PNM, SJS etc) will have them, as they are Lotus specific parts not sure if they will be any cheaper than a dealer.

If not then Stratton may be chaeper due to member discount.......

Why paint the gearbox?

Unless you use an etch primer anything you put on won't stay on for long and look worse than just cleaning up the bare alloy.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Only to make the gearbox look nicer but then if it will just come off then may leave it as it is and just get the wire brush on the end of the drill to remve th last few stubborn staines!!

OK, speaking from experience just clean up the box, but don't use a brush with steel in it as little bits will break off an get embedded in the alloy and then promptly rust and make it look terrible.

The other thing to bare in mind is that due to the inboard brakes, the gearbox will get filthy in next to no time with brake dust and road grime, so I wouldn't go too mad with cleaning it up.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

When I cleaned up a similar vintage citroen box for sale, it cleaned beautifully with marine clean and a stiff brush (toothbrushes) but very quickly gained surface corrosion in the form of a whitish bloom.

Rather than paint, I wonder if there is a suitable ?polish? to help seal the cleaned alloy? Having said that, maybe a thin film of oil would be better anyway?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

SimonWhen my garage leaked the other day i had snow on the box as well from where i had cleaned it, maybe i should ask what preserver is best!!

I do wonder how metal polishes would fair? Probably quite difficult to apply to anything other than a pristine surface.

Would need to be reasonably heat resistant.

I might try some out and see what happens.....

I currently have Peek and autosol. Thoughts?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Wayne,

Im with you on this one. I am going to use Sperex Aluminium engine paint on my gearbox. Sticks really well and makes it easier to clean. I painted my MGB engine and gearbox with it 10 years ago and it is still holding up ok.

I think Sperex is owned by Simoniz and they are merging the names so may be called Simoniz aluminium engine paint now.

Frank