Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear light cluster - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear light cluster

Just thought I'd post this lovely little touch. Looking at the car in darkness more last few weeks I've noticed that each rear light has a pair of side facing red LED's to highlight the side profile. :beer:

post-7988-126097287672_thumb.jpg

post-7988-126097289377_thumb.jpg

post-7988-126097289657_thumb.jpg

Sorry if a bit of an anorak post for some but I liked it. :hrhr:

Edited by Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good spot Allan! Is this to comply with the US you think?

Edited by botus

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

Don't know for sure but will be something like that. I suppose the same reason that you have to have side repeater indicators these days as well. I've also noticed a lot more cars front side lights can be seen from the side, so I suppose this will be part of that. Sso you can judge the length of a vehicle in side profile in darkness. Trouble with LED's are although bright from one direction have very little side scatter like traditional tugsten lamp so you then have to set up something like this.

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Al,

Your last post is pretty well spot on.

It is a statutory requirement that all cars are visible from the side. If, for example, you are reversing on to a road (which you shouldn't be), traffic approaching will be able to see you and gauge your overall length.

These units have been used on Elise/Exige since 2006MY and have always featured the side illuminations. Prior to that, because traditional bulbs do, indeed, offer a wider "scatter" you could create sufficient side illumination by mounting the units so they protrude further out from the bodywork.

Most mainstream manufacturers mount the light cluster on the corner of the car so that the "wraparound" provides the required amount of illumination.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guy. LOVE the number now seeing it for real. Worth every penny. Wait until Lotus are F1 World Champions again and you will be minted selling it on!!