Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New colour for my 1966 Elan FHC - Classic Elan - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New colour for my 1966 Elan FHC

Robert Crooks

I am trying to decide what colour to repaint my 1966 Elan S3 FHC restoration project. It is currently in non-original pale blue (see first photo below). However, I want it to be in an original colour for the year. I am led to believe the choice is BRG, Cirrus White, French Blue, Wedgewood Blue, Carnival Red, Burnt Sand or Lotus Yellow. I have included photos of cars (not all Elans) in these colours also. I am tending towards white but I would really appreciate your thoughts on this as I am far from decided.

Look forward to your comments.

post-5375-126419341115_thumb.jpg

post-5375-126419342587_thumb.png

post-5375-126419344429_thumb.png

post-5375-126419387684_thumb.png

post-5375-126419390159_thumb.png

post-5375-126419391917_thumb.png

post-5375-12641939982_thumb.png

post-5375-126419400121_thumb.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the white one above looks fantastic. (Pauses to wipe drool off the keyboard.) But can you find out what the original colour was? I'm glad you aren't going to paint in Sprint colours.

If you don't or can't go back to the original colour, I would recommend a bright colour which rules out British Racing Green. It's a small cat and many motorists aren't very observant. Yellow always seemed to suit the car very well. Not so keen on the burnt sand. That looks best on a +2. Red's too much the default colour for a sports car so I would choose something else.

So, original colour, white or yellow are my preferences.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks for all your comments.

I think it looks lovely in green, but I am also concerned about visibility. Many with green ones have found they have had to add a yellow stripe to make them visible, and I don't want to have to do that.

I am trying to find out the original colour. At some stage it has also been lime green, but we can't tell yet whether that was a previous repaint or the original colour. It wasn't a standard original colour in 1966, but I understand it would have been possible to have it as a special option. I think it's more likely that somebody has done a lime over white 'sprint' respray in its past. However, lime green is definitely not a colour for me as a repaint colour.

Assuming the original colour wasn't lime green, burnt sand, carnival red or wedgewood blue, I might just be tempted to go back to it. I'm kinda hoping it was white though based on the photo above. I too think it's stunning.

Further comments very welcome.

Alex, any time mate. Are you going to be able to join us for the NMEG/NWEG meet on 07/02?

Robert

Have you tried DVLA logbook history to get original colour (VQ7 fee paying enquiry), appreciate it may be a bit old for that.

Otherwise you should find it in an inaccessible overspray area (inside the boot lid or somewhere like that that would not get rubbed back so hard for respray - maybe inside the door carcass)

Original first for me. If you like brg or another dark colour, why not upgrade side light bulbs and drive lights on like a Volvo

May not help, but to me that light silver blue looks best

Edited by simonb

I quite like the Beige/sand/gold colour on 60's cars. Sure you could argue it's a bit 'grandaddy' but we are talking about a car made in the 60's with a wooden and chrome trimmed dash, slim steering wheel, tiny gearstick, the works.

I'd go with that to be striking and different, also i died on my arse trying to find a pic to post of that colour elan, there were hundreds of the other colour options to pick from. It's such a rare colour it's easy to dismiss, but when you see it on a car (IMO) it's really nice. Even works on some modern stuffy:

lotus_eco_elise.jpg

Would be a really nice colour on an Elan, keep it looking very period, then you just need to get modding on the interior and give it one of those now generic 'Esprit interior restyles' with aftermarket steering wheels, gearknobs, start buttons, shiney sill plates, etc etc...

:(

Wheels+Of+Britain+03-02-2008+431.JPG

Why not go the whole hog and nail a wing to the boot !

Pink ! erk, it's a shocker, the finish on the dash is terrible, the door trim is held on with self tapers. I'll grant you the original steering wheel was too big, but at least it wasn't pink. Could try pink dice hanging from the mirror. My daughter hand pink wind deflectors on her wipper arms, how about a set of them?

Actually you can see the dash is not original because it should have each switch labeld, looking at the finish he may have used last years destemper brush. Mine had 14 coates of Laquer before I was satisfied with the finish.

There's not much wrong with the interior of the Elan IMO, I like wooden dashes, but by almeans loose that nasty plastic seat and door covering. But use something tasteful to replace it.

:(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The factory will still hold the original build records for this car.

I always try to restore my cars back to factory original, even if it is Pistachio (lime) green, which it won't be in 1966.

Why not, therefore, acquire the original record and paint it the "correct" colour?

If you PM me, I can tell you who to contact to get the information.

• 6 months later...

Factory, couldn't help on the original colour, but when the pain shop stripped it back they found the roginal colour to be white. It had received 8 colour changes since. Here it is in it's new white paint. Photo doesn't do it justice, the paint finish is absolutely amazing, better than my SE even. Some interior bits to finiish off, but nearly done.

post-5375-069423500 1280956291.jpg

How about Bermuda Blue -- I think that's a period Lotus color. . .

:)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE