Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How Many Lotus Elite Type 75 Survive? - Page 2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How Many Lotus Elite Type 75 Survive?

Guest mkelite

there are two 78 elite 503,s in port seton near edinburgh,both motd but only one on road,i am busy stipping paint of the other one(slowley),hope to get it finished before mot expires in august

I think that the retort to MKELITE's posting on the Elite being snubbed by Bibs was harsh and shows a big brother attitude to free comment. MKELITE appears to be making a fair statement and whether or not Bibs finds it factual or jovial is not the issue. Surely forums such as this should be a place for debate as well as merely practical or technical issues or for the merryment of senior posters.

Mike

Hi, I have bought my 1975 Elite in France, it has been imported from England,those cars are very rare in France, I've only seen 3 cars, one 4 years ago, well restored, mine, half working when I've purchased it, and another in need of a complete restoration,

I've never seen any Elite for sale in the french classic cars magasines,just an Eclat a few moths ago, only two other ones for sale on internet during the 2 last years! so I think that there is maybe ten Elites in France.

Mine is just out of mechanic restoration and my mechanic who works on a lot of sports cars (Lotus Ferrari Porsche...)told me that he never see anyone...

I have driven a lot of sport cars and this Elite is my first Lotus, I've really been surprised! "it's working like a plane" as we say in France, very comfortable, powerfull and driving too fast regarding to the french cops...

So for the ones who don't like it, I understand, it's because it's 5 times less expensive... there's no justice...

If someone has a list of the English Elites there was the MOT sticker on mine, it says that the plates number was LNO 10P, expires 30/11/06, and it's written into the engine compartment that it has been rebuilt by Mr G.J.LEWIS from 1985 to 1987. If someone knows the english story of my car please let me know!

• 1 year later...
Guest saraphee

I think that the retort to MKELITE's posting on the Elite being snubbed by Bibs was harsh and shows a big brother attitude to free comment. MKELITE appears to be making a fair statement and whether or not Bibs finds it factual or jovial is not the issue. Surely forums such as this should be a place for debate as well as merely practical or technical issues or for the merryment of senior posters.

Mike

Mike, I too found the put down left an unfortunate impression on me for what is, after all, the Chat section. This forum has not the usage it had before it transfered here so I feel we need positive encouragement for our postings provided they comply with forum rules.

As a contribution to a possible register I believe there are 3 Elites in Thailand, my own, which is registered and slowly returning to regular use on the road. There is one running regularly in Bangkok and a third which is alleged to be the the central provinces but no one seems to know quite where.

The How Many Left? evidence seems to suggest there are around 400 cars being regularly 'looked after' in UK and an unknown number languishing unsung and/or being broken. Taking Graham Robson's [disputed} figure of 2535 as total production this would represent a survival rate of almost 16%. From this distance that seems a very creditable result.

Are there compatible figures for Eclat-Excel-Esprit?

It would be interesting to compare those stats with similar numbers for other Lotus models - and then with conventional cars from the same period.

Is there a statistician in our midst?

Since the guy was banned (1 of 7 in 10,500+ members) you can appreciate there's a back story to this. No Lotus owners are snubbed anyway, certainly not on here as we all have a common passion for the green & yellow.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I'm amazed that there are 3 in Thailand!

I looked at the DVLA figures via awebsite when one of the classic car mags posted their "shock findings" as to there being hardly any of model x left.

What did strike me as interesting was the seasonal swing in registrations suggesting a growing proportion of elites/eclats are only taxed in the summer months. Also the numbers of elites plumeted faster than eclats, which struck me as odd, but is perhaps related to sales of later cars being mostly eclats, giving them a younger demographic. I did think about dropping the figures into excel (no pun intended) and run a few graphs over time to show the trend, but got sidetracked with something else. If I get round to it, I'll post them up if they are interesting.

Edited by Dunc

Nice first post, Mike.

I would hardly call this forum anal. It's always seemed relaxed to me without the stirrers and unnecessarily argumentative types that populate some other forums I have been on. To keep it that way, some people have to be excluded. They account for less than 0.01% of the membership.. Hardly anal.

However, you are entitled to your opinion as free and fair comments are what makes the forum entertaining.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I think by your response Andretti?! you have confirmed my suspicions... I was a regular user of the 'old' forum and have commented on this forum previously.. First post or not your 'welcome' stinks. Free speech I believe is the order of the day, certainly in my country and as I have an opinion I will voice it. Seems like the moderators need to keep things in perspective.. It is just a forum. Look it up if you feel the need to know what that is....

Guest saraphee

I would like to get this thread back on song. The original question is, I think, an important one and should be of interest to us all.

It seems that the only way to approach anything like an accurate figure would be to attempt to re-establish a register. The logical place for the register to be held is the country where the cars where hand crafted and most remain.

Is there anybody out there in the UK bold enough to take on this time consuming challenge please?

Well, I don't see any sign of anyone censoring what you are saying so you are enjoying the benefits of free speech. However, as always, there are limits to what is acceptable behaviour in a social group and some people have, sadly, crossed that boundary and found themselves excluded from that group. I think this sort of thing goes on in any country, even those which which promote free speech.

By the way, I would love to see any pictures of your Elite that you would care to share with us. I imagine yours is probably a particularly nice example as you seem a long-time enthusiast of the model.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

For what it's worth, I know of one (not mine) with a flawless interior, but exterior in need of some major TLC, in a secret bunker in New England, protected by Dick Cheney and his shotgun, as well as TrunnionFree's beautiful example seen at Tanglewood a few weeks ago, with some old fart in a fishing cap walking by...hang on...that's my old man!

post-6978-0-48358000-1309585522_thumb.jp

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

edit - seems my view missed all the posts on page 3.... but hey-ho the comment is still valid

Chillax Mike.. were all friends here.

Every forum needs moderation, even our old one. Free speech is a worthy ideal, but with it comes things which aren't desirable on a forum, like racism and abuse.

I guess being a mod is a bit like being a traffic cop. Even if they just do their job, someone will always be unhappy at them and have an anti-mod murmer now and then. In fairness, I don't think Trevor's post is unfriendly.

But welcome to the elite and eclat section of TLF!

I for one hope you stick around and add to the conversation and traffic as it is a nice place to be. Stick around and give it a chance and you'll find there are lots of friendly helpful people on here who are keen to make a community for like minded individuals. Interest in the 4 seaters from general Lotus enthusiasts is rising.

NB - have you seen the garage system? It's quite nifty. Post some pics of your elite and some text as a description so we can all have a look at your car.

"Is there anyone in the Uk who might take on the register....."

uhm - maybe.

But another idea would be to create a section of the TLF garage as a register? Dunno if this could be done. Mods?

I suppose I could take on the registrar duties if it cant. It can't be any harder than keeping a big excel database surely? Does anyone have Mike Marsh's current contact details? His list would be as good a place to start as any.

I reckon "TLF - home of the Elite & Eclat register" might be just what we need to gather the owners of these cars together under TLF. Thoughts?

D

Edited by Dunc

• 1 year later...

I have now taken over the role of membership secretary for the Elite and Eclat register from Mike Marsh and have taken over the data, which will form a foundation for the soon to be re-launched Elite and Eclat Register, which I hope to house in some format on "TLF - the Home of the Elite and Eclat Register!" I expect to make model, type and colour and condition available for public viewing - (perhaps utilising a wiki function) with the rest of the information that could be classed as "personal data" held securely and not publically viewable (name/address/chassis number/registration number). Hope to have a proper chat with Bibs next time I see him for some guidance.

The data is old, archaic and not very user freindly. Microsoft Word is not a great storage medium for any database. I will drop it into excel when I get a spare hour or so and attempt to reach out to the owners to see if they still have the cars. Looks like it will be via snail mail as I have very few email addresses within the data from 2002.

Being an incredibly sad Elite/Eclat anorak, I already recognise some of the cars/owners and know that they have moved on to pastures new.

I'm hoping a register of these cars here establishes TLF as the first port of call for discussion on these cars. We once had a great little forum, but with cessation and migration, we lost a lot of old freinds - probably some going elsewhere for 4 seater discussion, and some perhaps losing interest.

Let's build what we have.

I hope to do some promo via the club Lotus newsletter and will contact them once I have the hosting details worked out.

Stay tuned folks!

Edited by Dunc

Guest saraphee

You're a good chap Dunc - and a brave one.

I've been secretary for a few different groups and I know of all the work you will have coming your way - unheralded and unsung.

But you're right, it is an important matter that we get a proper register working if only to let the great world wide public know that these cars are valued if not valuable. TLF is the natural host for this and clubs world wide should be told of the register once you're ready for lift off.

I await the results of your efforts with interest & enthusiasm.

Well Done & Good Luck

Rex

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Update time.

I have transferred all the S2 Elite details from Word into excel manually. I already recognise a few of the cars, and they mostly have new owners.

I'll do the eclat type 84's next, then look at the type 75 & 76 S1's.

I've had a conceptual chat with Bibs about data hosting, but can't seem to get the tool to work - will follow this up later after pressing on with typing the data into excel.

I also know of a few S2 Elites that aren't on the register, so will look to chase them up.