Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit weight - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit weight

Jonathan

• 5 years later...

completely stoked, took my esprit to the weigh bridge and it came in at 1.30 tonne with me in it. Accurate the the nearest 10kg (ie could be 1295kg or 1305kg and would round up/down. Outside these figures it would have read 1.29 t or 1.31 t).  I then went and filled up the tank to see what was missing, 57L.  So my 89 turbo with me in it (70kg) and a full tank of fuel (extra 57kg to the 25L that must have been in there) plus my 6kg engine cover (which I left at home) gives a total car weight of 1364kg.   With me in it!  That means the advertised kerb weight of 1290kg was true!  I thought they always underestimated the esprits weight? The only weight saving mod I have in the car are aluminium fuel tanks.  Actually I guess that means the original kerb weight would have been 1310kg, not sure how much weight I saved with the new tanks (20kg?), but still, pretty damn close!  I always saw "realistic" figures for the kerb weight to be 1386kg.  

That's good to hear! I don't think you save that much weight with the alu tanks, perhaps a few kg, but certainly not 20kg. When I replaced my tanks, I found the difference in weight barely noticeable (when handling the tanks).

I have been thinking about taking the Esprit to a local weigh bridge, if I ever get round to it, I'll post my findings in this thread.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Great read bibs thanks shame this info can't be merged.  I noticed I forgot to account for the fact that fuel is not water...1L of fuel is 0.737kg.  That means my esprit fully laden without a driver is 1278kg.  With me in it is 1348kg.  Thats bloody light.  Makes more sense now given the weight savings from AL tanks is actually a substantial 7kg saving using the ones from SJ as I did. That means after a days long drive with a nearly empty tank the car is sitting at ~1300kg (a full 82L tank weighs 60kg).  That's a bloody light car to haul around even for the relatively modest 160kw/300nm engine!  Also helps explain why my 5th gear acceleration time 100kph-140kph is 7.0 -7.2 not the 8.8-9.2 recorded by the magazines. 

Edited by benjamincalleja

• 2 weeks later...

In May, 2012 I drove past a quarry and saw they had two drive-on scales available. Since the quarry was closed that day I decided to weigh-in with a half tank of fuel and roof-less (1424kg). If the roof (8kg) were in, and I (75kg) were out, my Federal FE weighs 1357kg (2993lbs) with that half tank of fuel.Esprit_Weight_Without_Roof_and_Half_Tank