Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyre replacement for NCT's - Page 5 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre replacement for NCT's

As an on going reply to this thread.... i realised yesterday i had my MOT tomorrow, and so thought id check my tyres.... only to find they were completely bald :P

so i've just had to order some Dunlop SP2000 225/60 W 15 as they were the only tyres anybody could do me at such short notice. And i wasn't having P6000 anywhere near my car, after coming off the nurburgring on them.

Interesting to see if they're any good.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I purchased a set of Michelin Pilots in the 235 and 195 sizes. What I gave up was the speed rating, going down to an H rated tire for 130+. I don't track the car and much prefer the twisties rather than flat out speed so it made sense for me. Not everyone wants to give up the V speed rating, though.

I understand why you are doing this, but don't insurrance companies use this as a get out cluase if you have a prang by saying the tyres are not correct for the vehicle? I may be completly wrong anyone know?

out of interest I know some dubious dealers stick 4x4 tyres on Bentley Turbo R's as they are a lot cheaper, bloody dangerous!!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I wouldn't go against what Lotus are pushing. They spent a large amount of money and had their test drivers over every type of surface testing which available tyres would be best suited to replace the now 'out of stock' sizes.

Did Lotus happen to recommend any particular tire brand and model as a 'best' alternative from this exhaustive testing?

---------

As of 2007, I honestly believe we have little choice in size, but much in brands and compounds in a 225 size.

I am in need of new tires now, to replace the 245/50 and 225/50 set I have. I feel that 245/50 are great for rears but 225 a bit wide for fronts. A 205 or maybe a 215 would be better IMO.. (225 fronts seem a bit road surface sensitive).

Is there any possibility of one of the manufacturers, like Dunlop or Goodyear, being convinced to do a run for a group buy?

Edited by f1karting

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Did Lotus happen to recommend any particular tire brand and model as a 'best' alternative from this exhaustive testing?

---------

As of 2007, I honestly believe we have little choice in size, but much in brands and compounds in a 225 size.

I am in need of new tires now, to replace the 245/50 and 225/50 set I have. I feel that 245/50 are great for rears but 225 a bit wide for fronts. A 205 or maybe a 215 would be better IMO.. (225 fronts seem a bit road surface sensitive).

Is there any possibility of one of the manufacturers, like Dunlop or Goodyear, being convinced to do a run for a group buy?

I spoke to someone at goodyear re. this a couple of years ago. He said the moulds were in Germany. He thought they might do a run if there was enough demand. I suggested that maybe Club Lotus (I wasn't aware of this forum then) could maybe drum up a list of potential buyers via the magazine. I telephoned and suggested the idea but nothing ever happened.

Perhaps we could start a list on here and then approach Goodyear to make a run of the original 195/60 and235/60 Eagle NCT with the extra stiff sidewalls. I am convinced we could all then have the outstanding grip / handling these tyres gave the early Esprits which, sadly, we no longer get.

The Pirelli P600 235/60VR 15 that used to be available was designed for the XJ6. Soft sidewalls and a heavy car gave comfort but they were never really suited to the Esprit. Higher pressure helps but they couldn't approach the NCT Eagle design which was specifically designed for the Esprit.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

I know of one pair of goodyear eagle gtII 235/60/15 available in canada!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

The Goodyear Eagle GT II are the right size, but unforunately only available in an SR rating.

Jan could probably round up a set of Dunlop 8000's in 205/55/15 ZR and 245/50/15 ZR If he is prepared to hunt around as a few places still have some stock of these now discontinued tyres..

I got mine that way, the fronts came up from the USA via ebay and the rears were in stock at a Tyre shop in London Ontario. I had them UPSed to my place and I mounted and ballanced them myself.

You just cant expect to wander into your local Dunlop tyre outlet and pick them up anymore. :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

If we can get the right tyres remanufactured, and it's a matter of needing 10 or 20k as an upfront payment...I could be convinced to provide it, as long as somebody else looks after the stocks resulting.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The Goodyear Eagle GT II are the right size, but unforunately only available in an SR rating.

Jan could probably round up a set of Dunlop 8000's in 205/55/15 ZR and 245/50/15 ZR If he is prepared to hunt around as a few places still have some stock of these now discontinued tyres..

I got mine that way, the fronts came up from the USA via ebay and the rears were in stock at a Tyre shop in London Ontario. I had them UPSed to my place and I mounted and ballanced them myself.

You just cant expect to wander into your local Dunlop tyre outlet and pick them up anymore. :whistle:

thx Wayne.. Ill check around J

OK so I know that this has been debated at length and every now and then there is talk of trying to get goodyear to remake the orginal 235 60 VR 15 NCT 1 tyres....

So why doesn't Goodyear simply come out and say something like..

a) We don't have the moulds so can't make them

B) We have the moulds but won't make them period.

c) We have the moulds and will restart manufacture

d) We have the moulds and will restart production but only if we're guaranteed money in advance for XXXX tyres.

You know it really hacks me off that there are suppliers or people around to supply just about any part we need but not tyres. Ahhhhh.

Rant over, I feel a bit better now so I'm going to start doing some work.

Bazza

Guys, I've just merged two very similar topics. If you go back to the previous page you'll see there was talk about having the tyres re-manufactured; looks like Nifty volunteered to carry out the necessary research...

[Where can I find old production or discontinued tires for my classic or restored vehicle?

For information about Dunlop brand vintage tires, please call Vintage Tyres Limited Dunlop's North America classic tire distributor.

US: (717)534-0715 CAN:(902)228-2335

jeff

www.espritturbo.com

[Where can I find old production or discontinued tires for my classic or restored vehicle?

For information about Dunlop brand vintage tires, please call Vintage Tyres Limited Dunlop's North America classic tire distributor.

US: (717)534-0715 CAN:(902)228-2335

jeff

what if you are looking for these..265/50/15

265-50-15.jpg

Guys, I've just merged two very similar topics. If you go back to the previous page you'll see there was talk about having the tyres re-manufactured; looks like Nifty volunteered to carry out the necessary research...

Tentenths, you are absolutely right, I did volunteer to undertake some research in a bid to try to get a re-run.

However, what I didn't tell you is that I'm up to my eyeballs with Lotus Seven Club affairs until after our 50th anniversary bash in September.

I actually envisaged starting to tackle this in the autumn/winter.

What I could benefit from is anyone who already has contacts or info to let me know, I can be contacted by E-mail here.

I'd particularly like to hear from Nick Whiting who posted on the previous page saying he'd spoken to Goodyear a year or two back and had some info. regarding the whereabouts of the moulds.

I would also be interested to hear from any of the US contributors as to whether there may be any legal issues fitting new "old design" tyres to your cars because we may need US sales to get sufficient numbers to attract Goodyears attention.

Such an issue might be that the tyres (tires ;) ) would need to have a new type approval etc.

I'm more than happy to act as a co-ordinator for any information or research that others have already done or may do in the future.

I'll get the ball rolling my contacting a few of my friends in the automotive business and get some contact names etc.

(Ironically, my Grandpa was a fairly big cheese in Michelin back in the '60's - pity they didn't make them, would have been significantly easier to access the top!)

Edited by Nifty

Keep off the straight and narrow

• 1 year later...

Just about to buy 4 black circles of joy, any recent updates or recommendations?

I'm currently opting for the Pirelli P6000 195/50/15's front and P600 235/60/15 rears.

Anyone had any issues with the different mix of patterns front and back?

Chunky Lover

Thats what I've got an my S3, I've only ever had it with these tyres so can't say for certain if anything else is better, but it seems OK to me.

Need for tyres is becoming acute...been doing some research; read good things about Vredestein Sportrac 3 tyres; they do a 195/60 R 15 V and a 225/60 R 15 V. Modern sticky rubber, supposedly good in the wet too...and Giugiaro designed tread pattern!! Not horrendously expensive, either. Anybody know anything about them?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If you can get a deal together on the Sportrac 3's, Simon, I'd be in for a set... By the way, I have two good NCT fronts and one of the Jaguar type rears if anybody wants them...

• 4 weeks later...

Stinker... i need some rear tyres badly. i currently have the NCT's on the back. I did get the chance to have a look at the p600's or the 6000 at the weekend; they just dont look right. look skinny and agricultural to be honest;

IMG_0689.jpg

does anyone have any photo's of the Dunlops on?

i was thinking about heading down the route of the Goodyear F1's what are peoples thoughts? i dont track the car or drive like a mentalist either.

BUT........

Driving back from snetterton at the weekend.. i managed to hit some debris in the road and burst my front tyre... an original NCT. are these still available for the front? then i will just have to replace one. If not i will neet two new fronts. What to go for? or does anyone have a spare NCT knocking around?

Help me!