Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
electric pump? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

electric pump?

sylba

Hello,

I've driven my 1989 Esprit Turbo the first time this morning...rolleyes.gif Everything seems OK, but after stopping the engine, I can hear something like an electric pump that doesn't want to stop...

Do you know what it is? Is there something wrong? How long should it turn?

Many thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody may have fitted an after market electric water pump to help cool the engine and/or turbo, they can be set to run until the water temperature drops to a certain point.

It could be the fuel pump, but they should only be energised when the ignition is set to the run point.

I assume it does not have an electric brake vacuum pump, but if it does then it's after market, but I see little value in having it set to run after the engine is switched off.

You really need to have a good listen to understand where it is located.

I cannot recall if it runs off a separate relay, but doubt it, so if it is the fuel pump, I'd check relays that act on the ignition switch.

Do any other electrical items appear to work that you would not expect to work?

OK, I'll look after the relays. It seems also that there is something wrong with the alarm, all the turn lights are on (like the warning, it isn't!) for a few seconds...

On the USA 89 Esprit with GMP4 fuel injection it is this relay (second from right on top) in the rear relay panel behind the engine.

P5211012.JPG

P8160142.JPG

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

What about the air pump that extracted the hot air from the airbox in order to make restarting easier, did Stevens carbureted cars have these fitted???

Cheers,

John W