• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

They come pre-oiled, it's when you clean them you need to re-oil them. Get the K&N kit.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I put one in my 88 Turbo last week- the noise from the air intake is now so loud it's almost annoying. I'm tempted to put another paper filter in to make it quieter, as despite the claims on their website, the K&N makes no obvious difference to performance at all. Call me a grumpy old sod, but i t wasn't worth the $79 it cost me to get ear-ache.

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

They dont improve the airflow any more than fitting a new paper filter, but they do last upto a million miles, hence save you money in the long run.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Steve, put your window up!

I actually enjoy the noise when the turbo really winds up.

When fitted mine soon into my ownership I found the PO had made a right B's up of the carburation and induction, so I got Cape Canaveral when I had all set up properly.

My problem with the paper ones is, every time it rains it's going to get very wet due to the car inducting from the outside, the filter will distort and never recover, thereby restricting you induction.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi Chris,

K&N Make no difference to air flow ?

I've seen a demo at P&M Eng. were two pinpong balls are supsended vertically in transparent tubes with equal air flow applied to both tubes passing through a K&N and a stanard paper filter. The K&N tube is able to suspend the pinpong ball twice as high as the standard paper filter tube.

Also, if you put you hand at the back of the paper filter and try and blow through it, you hardly feel a thing, not so with the K&N.

I would not hestiate to put a K&N in any performance car I own over a standard filter. I'm not saying it gives you 10hp or anything, but if the engine is able to breath easier, then it is more likley to provide optimal performance and mpg.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Hi Carl,

Yes, you are absolutely right !

The K&N (or other green fabric/textile oil filters) actually do improve air flow, because they have less resistance compared to a yellow paper filter ... what actually is open for discussion is the question "do they actually have a similar or equal filtration ability ????"

Sabine

I'm not saying Don't fit K&N

There have been tests that show a K&N does not flow any better than a NEW paper filter NEW being the important bit. K&N will flow better after the paper filter has been used, What I was saying is that a K&N or Green is worth getting as it will save you money in the long run.

I have K&N in my Prelude. And will be fitting the Esprit with one

Chris

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark