Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brake upgrade - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake upgrade

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, the bracket is made from a block of high grade alloy. The finished bracket is 11mm thick. I rounded the internal corner off with a special round cutting tool, which left it with no sharp edges.

Ralph, what I did was, I tapped the 11mm bracket and I also added a nut on the protruding side with loctite for extra security…

Cheers

Felix

Felix

Sounds like you have thought a bit about it. Threads shouldnt pull out but if you are going to use your brakes hard, I would make a point of checking the bracket as part of the service as Aluminium weakens over time especially when heat is around to anneal it.

Once again, well done.

Cheers

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have the brakes sorted and working like they should with lots of stopping power!.

Chris(internets) and I spent hours bleeding the calipers and I just could not get the right feel out of the peddles. (too much travel)

One day I decided to have another go at it... As soon as I popped the wheel off I noticed right away that each caliper had two bleeder nipples! So, I bleed the two bleeders on both sides of the caliper an what do you know.... I can stop on a dime! I'm going to blame this one on Chris, because I was the peddle boy and he was the caliper boy... :)

Great work Felix, if it is any consolation I had the same issue but I only have myself to blame as I was both peddle boy and caliper boy.

I have got to start thinking about the back ones now, I reckon 300mm 20mm thick, ventilated with a 2 pot caliper is a good target.

Cheers

Ralph

Thanks Ralph... Yes I am also thinking about the rear brakes... Sounds like you already have a disc and caliper in mind :) please do share... If I come up with something I will pass on as will.

Cheers Mate

Felix

Felix your looking hot!

I fell in love with the High wing many years ago in silk red, Nick Warren sold the actual car I first sat in At the motorshow many years ago not so long ago. I would have loved to have bought it, even though it had been butchered a little... I'll never be able to buy those memories with my dad and late grandfather ever again. What a complete knob I was!

Chunky Lover

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to say thank you to Felix and all others who have contributed to this topic. I kept the original uprights, added the Peugeot discs and even the Brembo calipers as they look very much like the later Esprit brakes. Should I add AM calipers or Porsche GT3 brakes, the Porsche brakes are actually cheaper to buy, I could never pass MOT in Belgium. It's very strict and when there is AM or Porsche on them I'm quite sure they will spot, it ain't original ;).
It took a while to create all the pieces and a lot of help from a good friend of mine, but my "Monza" brake conversion, as my friends call it, is finally ready. Thanks all!

Now I want to have a new master cylinder fitted as the pedal is too deep imo. Any one who has a cross reference for it? much appreciated.

the "Monza" is referring to the shape of my adapter plates ;-)

monzabrakeconversion.jpg

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Hi Gert,

Looking good, but Again I am sorry to say, that such a solution will never pass mot here in Denmark.

Some individuals may pass it, because it can actually brake ;)  but any fabrication at all is illegal; any deviation from standard originally fitted brakes (incl. pads, but they see through that) is illegal, unless the parts Company and the carcompany (here Lotus) have made Danish approved crashtests with the Danish Technical Institute, with propper documentation, followed by new extra registration tax on the kit/parts etc. And then you have to have it approved by your Insurance Company, and if they aprove it, then you have to pay a higher Insurance.

This in reality makes it completely impossible to make any changes what so ever.

The fact that there may be some or many out on the roads in Denmark with all kinds of mods, is just pure gambling. The Danish authorities have started (a few years ago) to bring in special technical assistants at traffic razzias, who if they suspect any deviation, will impound the car (or motorcycle), take it completely apart to find the differences, and take you to Court. Punishment is taxation on the changes, plus the procedure of test described above, and a fee of twice the taxation (which they themselves decide), plus all costs for the state to have all this done.

It is possible on some cars, to get approval on say brake kits from for example Brembo, and have it written on your registration paper, after paying the extra tax, costs for documentation etc. but this is valid mostly for comsumercars sold in high numbers, that will initiate a braking Company to go through all the needed procedures.

The EC is looking into this and the 180 % extra taxation on all cars and motorcycles, but as we all know, it's stranded somewhere on top of a desk. And as far as I know, the 180% taxation is not to be removed, as an EC country have to uphold the law of the EC, but can still claim special locally (Denmark) needed taxation.

Meanwhile the dealers here and abroad continue to sell lot's of kits, parts etc, to everyone.

So, in reality it's a hide and seek with the extra plus of a courtcase from the state and Insurance Company, because you as a comsumer, are telling a "lie" by violation the rules.

Another thing on this is for example changing a brake set to someg bigger from another model of the same car. This may in certain cases get approved, but then you have to pay another 180% tax on the car, as now, it's another model, by having changed it's original identity. The same goes for seats, aircon, spoilers etc. by the way.

So far, I can just read all the good info you Guys splash all over here, and wish ;)

Meanwhile, I still want bigger brakes, as they are laughably bad...

Congrats and good luck on your Monza brakes (my favourite F1 course).

PS: I will update this info, if I find out something have changed.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)