Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s replacement Timing belt - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s replacement Timing belt

glynherron

Hi Guys

Over Easter i am replacing the timing belt on my s4s and S3 HC. Has anyone cross referenced the Lotus part number for the Gates part number?

What is the gates part number?

Also I have been looking at the Facom tensioner device (advertised on ebay for

Edited by glynherron

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Glyn,

The timing belt is off a nissan Maxima nis133. If the Lotus Part number is A910E6697F then the Gates part number is T188.

Sorry haven't got the tensioner afraid.

Don't forget to tension it anticlockwise not clockwise.

Thanks Dave

still can't get over how gorgeous your wheels look in real life! B)

I will check the lotus part number,

Does anyone know what is the direction of rotation of the enigne when viewed from the front, as I think that I read somewhere that the charge cooler is damaged if you go the wrong way.

Glyn

ps. Anyone know a cross ref for the S4s tensioner bearing

SJ' website - a mine of information!!

Hi there

This MAY be it?

Engine | Timing belts & chains

CAMBELT TENSIONER BEARING

SJ907E0014

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Thanks Tim for (as usuall) a great response.

I intend to 'do' the belts every 2 years as per the manufacturers service intervals in the uk, so will go for the standard belt T188.

Thanks again

Glyn.

I'm a little confused...

The old belt from my S3 says 5168-58133 x 26.4mm

When I cross refer the Peugot 405 details I get a belt with a different Gates part number 5206, and looking at the new belt, the width is 25.4mm and not 26.4mm on the old belt.

Do we think that this 1mm difference is OK, or is it more complicated with different materials etc

Thanks

Glyn

Edited by glynherron

Glyn,

The key belt features would be PowerGrip HTD and 133 teeth. I've measured the width of HTD belts for the Lotus engines as supplied by various independent parts suppliers

Hi Maurice,

are you in the UK?

did you buy from Lotus?

If not what part number did you use and from where?

Still looking for the part, but not willing to pay over inflated Lotus prices

Glyn

ps how did it go for you

Ok an update.

Just spoken to gates power transmissions in Scotland in think

The T188 (US part number) and 5168 (UK part number) have the same tooth profile, the same number of teeth and same size teeth. (133 teeth x 26.4mm wide).

My local factor had never sold the 5168.

Dr Hess on Pistonheads is using a Peugeot 405 1.9L DOHC belt on his.

This is a 5206 (UK part number)

Gates confirm that this belt is made from the same material (Corapreen (if thats how its spelled)), and the same in all other details except from the width which is 25.4mm

The 5206 is a common belt, and costs about

I used the Cambelt from SJS sportscar Gates Powergrip HTD B912E6697F - cost 50 quid from them. I have had my esprit for 2 years and did about 2K. I was too scared of the belt snapping not to change it, but once off - it looked fine - could have gone for another year I believe. The one thing I did find was the Tension Bearing was stuffed, so it was worth it - cost about 20 quid.

The job was not too bad, took about 4/5 hours over a month period - I was not in a rush as it was off the road for winter. Used the instructions from Piston Head and the Rodent website together.

Based in Swindon and SJS posted the belt and bearing so I got it the next day

How high did you need to get it off the ground to give you enough elbow room, and not be too high to reach from the bottom?

I may have a buyer for my S3, so I am concentrating on polishing my wheels. Will probably do the belt on my S4s at next half term - 5 weeks.

Glyn

How high did you need to get it off the ground to give you enough elbow room, and not be too high to reach from the bottom?

I may have a buyer for my S3, so I am concentrating on polishing my wheels.  Will probably do the belt on my S4s at next half term - 5 weeks.

Glyn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I jacked up he body and place 2 spare tyres under he chassis this gave the height required whilst spreading the wheight over a large area. I done mine in the garage which left my 12 inches down one side to crawl under, with one rear wheel off. The place to work underneath is quite far under - almost the middle of the car.

If you want a hand, let me know which area you are in and I come over and make the tea.

It is not a hard job to do, just take your time and it can be done in half a day.

But I only drink coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Chesterfield, and have a double garage to work in !!!!!!!!

Thanks for the offer, if I get stuck, I'll give you a shout.

Where in the country are you?

Cheers

Glyn