Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lambo doors on Esprit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lambo doors on Esprit

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? I think proper gull wing doors would be cool, and functional. You would need a ton of reinforcement, if it's possible at all. But scissor doors? Lame.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Why? I think proper gull wing doors would be cool, and functional. You would need a ton of reinforcement, if it's possible at all. But scissor doors? Lame.

Possibly but with gull wings I have visions of Esprit owners pushing their cars into the garage :wacko:

M250 had butterfly doors

1433747376_b2ea5c9d55_b.jpg

:wub:

So glad they made it in the end - the Evora that is.

I agree, Lambo doors, the clue is in the name, leave them on Lambos FFS

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Our resident style and taste guru, Karl, looked into this a while ago. Obviously, he knows a few people in the bodywork modifying profession who are familiar with the scissor kits and unfortunately, they all deemed the Esprit to be unsuitable for the conversion. It's mainly due to the Esprit's construction around the door hinge and wheelarch area which is different to normal monocoque cars.

Naturally anything is possible and if you throw enough money at the problem then you will be able to do whatever you want, however none of the 'off the shelf' kits will work and it will be up to you to design and produce a bespoke solution.

• Gold FFM

+1

the issue for aftermarket kits is that they usually tuck in behind the fender - in the hollow space between the body and fender (where the average car has the stock door hinge). The Esprit does not have this area - the end of the door frame is sealed flush - so no room to tuck the aftermarket scissor hinge.

lambo-door.jpg

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• 2 months later...

I looked into this option a while back. Found that there is no room to mount the hardware, at least so it would look " right " Gull wing doors on the other hand will work but some stiffining on the roof will be in order to handle the weight. Best bet here would be to make two new doors from carbon fibre. If you know how to make molds that is.

Hello,

I thought about this idea at one time but I had a friend install the scissor kit on his Gallardo and he's had nothing but issues with the doors. I quickly passed on that thought after seeing the issues he had...

J

I'm really keen on gull-wing doors (a la the SLR, DMC-12), but it's definitely a $20K+ project.

Doesn't this old Veilside Supra look amazing? ...anyone? :-)

veilside_toyota_supra_gullwing.jpg

I have seen and played with a 1990 SE with full gull wing doors, it looks great, and they do fit well. however they were a one off made by a local engineering company. If you contact Scott or Brett at Custom exotic in Harlow they may be able to help you with a supplier, worth a call. contact me if you want more information, they have a web site.

Dave

Take a look at the scissor hinge assemblies you can buy for honda civics etc. They are pretty big and beefy...I have no idea how you could possibly mount the same in the A pillar area on in an Esprit. But...people told me I couldnt fit inboard rear disks on my TVR 2500M. About 400h of labor later, voila!

Lastly, even Lambos dont have lambo doors anymore, at least my Gallardo doesnt :)

Marcus

That would be amazing, Dave! Thanks a million.

I don't think Scott and I will get to work together though. I'm in the US.

• 1 month later...

Somebody on the TurboEsprit Yahoo! list recently asked about putting Lambo doors on their Esprit, oddly enough not for style but because the guy is big and wants to get in and out more easily in crowded car-parks...anyway, a shop that does the conversions turned him down because of lack of ability to get behind the front wings, and then the engineers on the list went on about lack of structure in there for affixing the things with their very heavy hinges. I was rather pleased to hear all of it! Our cars should be safe from such bastardisations...

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 1 year later...

As my first post and I know this is an old topic and as its my car Dave was talking about I thought I had better add a couple of pics work on the car is still ongoing and only gets done when I can dig it out a corner and fit it in around my paying work .Will prob start a new topic on it soon as work is about to restart after a year of it being stuck in that corner. regards to all

Oh just a note holes in the wings have now gone was going to vent it after using to get to the hinges for the mock up work but then decided didn't like them

post-14998-0-71760900-1351721024.jpg

post-14998-0-52776000-1351721080.jpg

Edited by Custom Exotics