Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Water temprature - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Water temprature

rogerch

That might be it, the drip tube comes out just off centre of the car almost under the front of the passenger seat area. It's only about 2 feet in front of the water pump on the same line, so an easy mistake to make. I thought you were going to say that he doubled the price of a seal kit when he saw it was for a Lotus and not an old banger.

You'll be able to have a closer look at the water pump / hoses when you get around to changing that cambelt. :construction:

Too many Toys are never enough !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm leaning towards "Water Pump" :no

Minimal water lose, drips in the right area, bottom pulley location. Oil change coming up so I'll pull the tray off and investigate.

I'm just surprised it doesn't seem to be coming out under any pressure even when the engine is hot, and it doesn't seem to be there the whole time.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Anyone know if there's a "How To" on this anywhere, is it up there with fuel tanks ? :censored:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It still might be a leaky hose if you're lucky. For now be thankful that water is still only 18c for a 1,000 litres ( unless you pay $3 a litre for it at Woolworths.) Top it up while you can afford it, next year the Labor government might be charging you a 'leaky water pump levy' :zorro:

Too many Toys are never enough !

Steve it's a Lotus, by definition it will be the worst option, ie pump. Back in my Elan days a engine never went back in without a new fuel pump, oil pump, and water pump. The very thought of doing any of them in situ was enough motivation, I'm not supposing the Esprit is any different.

I'm not so sure now, no water loss for 3 days (used it every day) so where ever it was coming from, it's stopped. That doesn't mean problem gone. I'm sure it will be back.

We did have some very hot days, I've still got a very erratic temperature gauge. With the top of the tank I can see the jet of water returning from the Turbo so I know the pump is moving water. I'm going to take the undertray off and go for a run and see it that revels anything, if it's not leaking then I ain't gonna see where it's coming from. I'm thinking maybe under extreme heat and or pressure a seal in the pump.

Any thoughts ??????????????/

Mine has variously been leaking from the water pump (Replaced) the thermostat housing (Corrosion cleaned and ned hose clip) and the larger left hand hose (crappy old clip)

If you are thinking of tackling the waterpump then it's a cambelt off job, certainly on the S4, and the pump comes out the bottom.

The pump bolt behind the oil pump pulley is a right swine... :wallbash:

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

I think I'm going to bore a hole in an old radiator cap and get my tyre guy to put a valve in it. Then I can pressurise the system and see what happens. If the cap is rated at 15 psi something should give at or around that point.

DSC_0870.jpg

Sparky would be proud of me ! A valve in a radiator cap allowed me to pressurise the cooling system and find where the water was leaking from.

Didn't need to go anywhere near 15psi, about 5 gave me the answer, I already had the undertray off and the car on stands, at 5 PSI it wasn't dripping, there was a veritable stream, easily traceable to the pump (I'd have preferred a hose) but that's life, so I'll order up a replacement or kit, may as well do the belt at the same time. :construction:

Edited by Roger the Dodger