Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Upgrade... - Forum Info & Help - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Upgrade...

Bibs

IPB 2.1 has been out for time now and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to upgrade as it will be about 10 hours in front of the PC to do it, if not more...

Here's what you get...

IPB 2.1's new features high-lights include:

Rich Text (WYSIWYG) Editor

Allow your members to easily format their posts, signatures and personal messages.

RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Import

Import RSS content from all over the 'net as new topics in any forum you choose.

RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Export

Allow others to syndicate your content by setting up exclusive RSS export streams from forums of your choice.

Multiple Question Polls

Create new polls in our easy to use interface. Set different questions for multiple question polls.

Member's Display Name

Optionally allow your members to choose thier own display name which is separate from their log-in username, and change it as often as you allow.

Components Framework

Download pre-written components and install them with a few clicks. Create new functionality without needing to

touch a line of IPB's code; future-proof your modifications!

Improved Forum and Topic Marking

Forum are topic markers are now stored in the database. Our comprehensive system accurately tracks all your unread

topics regardless of which computer you use to access your account.

Topic Rating

Allow your members to rate each other's topics. This can be set per forum and per usergroup.

Concurrent Post Capture

Optionally merge concurrent posts within a settable time-limit. Prevent "And another thing..." from creating a new

post!

In-line Topic Editing

An IPS innovation: Edit topics from the forum listing without a need to refresh your page!

In-line Post Editing

An IPS innovation: Edit posts quickly from the topic view page without reloading the topic!

Member Name Suggest

An IPS innovation: When composing a new PM or pruning a forum, enter part of a member's name and IPB will bring up a

list of suggested matches, instantly!

MyAssistant Re-Designed

An IPS innovation: A combined floating palette comprising of instant notification of new PMs with the ability to

cycle through recent PMs. Instant "new posts" listing, and quick search - all used without a single page refresh!

Re-designed Admin Control Panel

A totally re-worked ACP. A new tab system categorizes the ACP menu making it much easier to find what you want!

Re-designed Template Editing Screen

Taking advantage of the very latest scripting tools, we've totally re-worked the template editing interface making

it much easier to find the correct template bit you need to edit and even allowing you to edit several at once.

Choose between different types of authentication. Use existing member databases to authenticate your users; allow

a single password for your current member systems and your forums! LDAP and .Net PassPort modules being developed

now.

New Feature: WYSIWYG Editing

IPB 2.1 comes with Rich Text Editing capabilities (also known as WYSIWYG). This editor, which works in IE 5.5+, Mozilla and Firefox (Safari is being worked upon) makes it much easier to generate posts which require a lot of formatting.

To enable rich text editing, make sure you're logged into the board as a member. Click on "My Controls" and click on "Board Settings".

This is a per-user option and the administrator has the option of disabling the rich text editor board wide.

The standard editor has been recoded to look like the rich text editor for consistency.

New Feature: Topic Rating

IPB 2.1 can now let your members rate topics. This can be enabled on a per-forum basis and you can enable rating on a per-group basis. You can also allow your members to change their rating (on a per-group basis, also). We have enabled rating in our community forums and in the customer's chat forum.

New Feature: Multiple Polls

IPB 2.1 can now let your members create multiple question polls. The administrator can set the maximum number of allowed questions and the maximum number of allowed choices per question. The poll form utilizes javascript to enable you to manage your poll without the need to refresh the page. You'll notice that there no longer appears to be a "Add Poll" button. When creating a new topic you can optionally create a poll at the same time. Editing the first post in a topic with a poll lets you edit the poll (when allowed) or to delete the poll (where allowed)

New Feature: In-line editing

Moderators can now edit a topic's title simply by double clicking the topic's table cell. This changes the topic title into a little text box. Clicking away from the text box updates the topic title and saves the edit. All without refreshing the page!

New Feature: PM Notice

IPB 2.1 has a new style PM notice. When you have a new PM, you'll notice a semi-transparent box in the bottom left hand corner of your browser. You can drag this to any point on the screen and IPB will show the PM notice box there from then on. You can click the "1/2" link to cycle through your PMs without leaving the screen.

New Feature: Get New Posts

When you click "Get New Posts" in the board header, you'll be provided with an instant review of them without the need to leave the page you're on. This is a very handy feature and will auto-update on each click!

New Feature: Member Name Auto Complete

When you compose a new PM, typing three characters or more into the "Recipients" box will bring up a list of possible matches. You can use your cursor keys to scroll through them, or your mouse or simply continue typing and the list will update until you click away from the name box.

Any good? Yes/No?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh. Looks good :(

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

10+ hours? :(

Wow. I really underestimated how much work this is.

I nearly fell asleep looking through all that stuff... I think I'm fine with the way editting, PMing, polls etc. are now.

Always wondered what went into forum creation. Is this software free? I've been thinking of attempting to start up one of my own (that probably none of you would be interested in)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Have to say I like the idea of RSS support...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how simple is real simple? :(

"RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Import

Import RSS content from all over the 'net as new topics in any forum you choose.

RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Export

Allow others to syndicate your content by setting up exclusive RSS export streams from forums of your choice."

I'm not sure if I've ever knowingly seen RSS content before, so I'm not sure how likely I would be to import or export it :lol: (alright I just figured that out but still don't understand how it relates to the forum)

could someone please explain? :lol: wikipedia didn't help much Basically we can post blogs? or am I wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Most browsers and email applications support RSS feeds nowadays with stuff like active bookmarks.

Basically, you set up a bookmark in your favourites for LEF, and each time you click the bookmark it instantly pops up the new topics which have posts in them. Alternatively you can use a browser based RSS reader which keeps you updated on new posts from a sidebar. It's like clicking 'view new posts' without having to visit the forum.

Most browsers and email applications support RSS feeds nowadays with stuff like active bookmarks.

Basically, you set up a bookmark in your favourites for LEF, and each time you click the bookmark it instantly pops up the new topics which have posts in them. Alternatively you can use a browser based RSS reader which keeps you updated on new posts from a sidebar. It's like clicking 'view new posts' without having to visit the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Description :lol:

I have previously used SharpReader [http://www.sharpreader.net/] at work. It is quite a competent RSS aggregator, just sits in your start bar and pops up a window in the corner when there is a new item.. (be that a post, news article or dilbert comic!) http://feeds.feedburner.com/tapestrydilbert :(

Google desktop will also let you do RSS aggregation if that is your preferred choice.

Ben

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Alright. Thanks for that one :lol:

I guess that's useful. But still sounds too complicated for me to use :( I'm too used to visitting the forum. Never thought I'd peg myself as stubborn in my dated ways...

slade

Edited by slade

Had a look at the GLC site :P

Kinda got a JPS theme going there Bibs :(

Besides seeing you have a mega ammount of Emocions there , Im not sure I can grasp the differences. :lol:

I kinda like LEF as it is, but what do I know :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

The only thing I think needs doing to your forum, is finding a way of encouraging more members to post. :(

Us forum regular posters are still in the minority of the forums thousand odd membership. :P

Maybe if they lost there viewing privilages if they didnt make at least 1 post a month? :lol:

Or is that a despicable idea? :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Haven't set up any polls and would not be a good idea for me to have an alert for new posts on my computer at work and I only go on the computer at home to look at the forum so wouldn't use that feature but I'm sure many would.

So I could live without it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The only thing I think needs doing to your forum, is finding a way of encouraging more members to post. :D

Us forum regular posters are still in the minority of the forums thousand odd membership. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. There seem to be a lot of quiet folks around. guess not everyone's as obnoxious as me.

I think the reason is that because one must join the forum to view posts, we have way more members than forums where anyone can look at what we're doing. But they won't post, and wouldn't anyways.

As for rising membership...

We'll really be in trouble when we get people start asking about their newly purchased 08 Esprits and we'll have no clue what to say :blink:

Some of us should pool our money and buy one and test it out :P

slade

It kind of pisses me off that I noticed some of the newbies post and next to nobody will answer them :D

I have had 2 people PM me asking why nobody (besides me) will communicate with them :P

I just think some of the forum members in the British Isles are quite content to chat amoungst themselves............ :blink:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

People can use the forum as they wish, we can't force anyone to post if they don't want to although I do of course agree that it would be nicer if more people were more active.

Back to topic.

I've noticed a fair amount of resistance to change focuses mainly from Giugiaro owners. You seem to prefer the older, more angular forum and don't wish to accept the inevitable future of a faster, more streamlined forum. What does it mean, what does it mean!

Esteemed leader :D

After actually having posted on all of the other Esprit forums, I think the format of this one is great in comparison :P

Felt like I was in the stone age when I used Pistonheads last week :blink:

But, you are the expert, and as you have forgotten more about computers than I will ever know ,I respect your decision to upgrade or not to upgrade. :P

................Im off now to lovingly gaze at my beautiful Esprit B)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Exactly. The forum doesn't change much :blink:

there's hardly change to resist

And 10 hours would make us feel guilty to have you sitting behind your computer :D

Hell yeah! I find the best deals in pop ups

slade

Edited by slade

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the members to date that have contributed towards LEF the software is now registered and legal and I've got a stack of upgrades to install. These upgrades include major security fixes so are essential plus you'll get a host of new benefits, the images will work again and the garage will be back after that's upgraded too.

This process may take some time and screw things up every now and again while I go through all the hoops. I'd like to thank you in advance for your patience while I do this. <_<

Wish me luck :rolleyes:

good luck, or use the force bibs..........

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Might be useful for us potato heads to actually know whats different/improved etc. Any chance you could post some sort of "updates/upgrades" list somewhere? Bit like version lists on other software?

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg