Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Europa lives on as a Proton - Elise / Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Europa lives on as a Proton

USAndretti42

I stumbled across a recent issue of Autocar magazine today and I noticed a news article about the Lotus Europa being reincarnated, albeit in modified form, as a Proton Lekir. It says it's going to have a different engine and some styling changes and won't be on sale for a year or two. I wonder if it will be more successful that the Kia Elan?

EDIT The link crashed Firefox on my old Apple even though it is to Autocar's web site. Just beware.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there we all were thinking the Europa residuals were going to stay strong.

Well done Lotus/Proton for screwing it up for all those who own one already, they'll be worth about 50p once the market is flooded with cheapy protons!

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

I wonder if the same is planned for the Evora once Bahr can get one of the new cars out to market - shedding all the legacy Lotus.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

I actually think it's a bit more stirring than the Lotus attempt. It's even got the "new Lotus" front end. :D

Now if it had the 237 hp 2 liter turbo from the Jebat in it, I think it'd be a blast. :thumbup:

I wonder if the same is planned for the Evora once Bahr can get one of the new cars out to market - shedding all the legacy Lotus.

Isn't that what a lion does when he becomes the new head of the pride, kill off all the newborn cubs and create his own ? Fancies himself a lion.. whistle.gifHmmmm. True a lot of what Lotus has was created post- Chapman, but the lightness DNA has always been there with Chapman' s successors.

I think the man really wants to create e a "Bahar" , but no backers would go for that. Shame the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater. If you don't preserve the heritage, there is no point. Sad indeed! no.gif

Edited by comem47

• Gold FFM

sure - killing off the old cars is normal, moving to Proton to live again, could hurt the value of the Lotus badge ones - was my only point...

better to kill it than to recycle it at 1/2 the price.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

According to the news it will be powered by a Proton 1.6L Turbo! I thought the campro was a 1.5L!

What goes round comes around I'd say this say was originally a Proton before Proton decided to offload it on Lotus desk! Now it goes back to Malaysia! it's a bit of a nip/tuck botched job! They have modified the front and rear bumper but didn't put money to change the lights and did not add a rear diffuser!

It will be interesting to know how much they are going to sell them for.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

And there we all were thinking the Europa residuals were going to stay strong.

Well done Lotus/Proton for screwing it up for all those who own one already, they'll be worth about 50p once the market is flooded with cheapy protons!

I agree, and despite my dislike and almost total apathy of the new Europa, this really is a big cough in the face for the people that liked it, continue to like it, and actually bought one.

It's like being reasonably happy with an 'ok' hotel room, only to get back and find the maid has shat in the bed.

:)

Yippee! He's back! The Paul C worldview and pointed philosophical commentary thread synergy machine is back, and harmonic karma has returned!:D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.