Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit S1 Tyres - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit S1 Tyres

I have an older model Falken (Ziex 502 I believe) and like them , (much better at not flat spotting ). Whereas my V rated Goodyears developed a bit of thumping noise and the typical 55 mph front end shimmy Esprits of this vintage are prone to, the Ziex are vibration free. Not the most racey rubber , but decent consdering the choices. I don't know , but I would suspect the current line is close to what I have. (I was able to get 205/60 and 225/60 at the time)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't go near the FK-07Us unless you like pirouetting in the wet and the dry!! I tried them and they were a total disaster on the rears. Had them on for about 750 miles then binned them - lethal. Fortunately the Fuldas came back in stock.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Fulda Assuro 205/70/14 in H or V. They keep going in and out of availability but I've bought them through the like s of mytyre and blackcircles in the past. I haven't looked recently as not using the car as much as I've done in the past where I was getting through a pair of rears every couple of years. Used to buy 2 pairs at a time to make sure I had a backup but sold my spare set to MatK just before he sold his S2 to Nelly.

Sorry can't be more help.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

The S306 was last sold in the States at least ten years ago, maybe fifteen.

A quick look at a couple of UK tyre web sites suggests they are discontinued there, too, only maybe more recently.

I realize what they say about older tires, but I'd rather have a new old stock 10-year-old tire that has been stored indoors and looks and feels brand new than a fresh new tire in the wrong size . . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hmmm, look OK, H rating is to 130mph, OK for my S1.

I've done 140 mph in mine ;)

I'm with pete I use the tires he recommended they give good grip and keep the car well balanced

Hope this helps

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Please post up your thoughts once you've had a chance to try them out Mark. I'll be looking for some rears in due course.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 5 months later...

I have an S3 and will need tyres once the restoration is complete. I want an S2 look-a-like and so I thought about using the S1/S2 tyres as a guide regarding tyre size but with a15" rim. I found that the range of tyres is really good compared to the standard S3 size. I can get Continentals front and rear 195/55/15 V and 205/65/15 V respectively. BTW, according to Lotusespritworld, the original size is 195/60/14 for the front, not 205 as the start of this thread. Is that right? Anyway, as I have a normally aspirated car I reckon 205"s on the rear would probably be fine for that car.

Of course this means the speedo will be out. Is it a case of sourcing a speedo from and S2 or do I need a new drive in the gearbox. Anyone got an idea?

Incidentally, as original tyres are getting scarce I contacted Image wheels last year (regarding a different project) and they reckon that they can replicate a wheel in any size for the cost of a standard set of wheels plus £1000 on top. Very pricey but if they can replicate the S2 Speedline then that would be a great compromise between original look and modern rubber. I dont know if the bolts would be hidden (they are all split rims) but I think for that style I could live with it.

Nic

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

• 2 months later...

I did a search on Sumitomo tires and buyyourtires.com came up with all the right sizes. Watch out! This is a DEMO site, not for real. But I did not see the RED BANNER on top and provided my CC info and went as far as reviewing my order and saw the BANNER on top. I did not place the order and ended the session. Anyway, I called Ryan Snell, Manager of SCS Inyternational Inc., (818.349.2264), who has the domian name. He said SCS does not save the CC info and will not be charged. I sure hope so. Tom

I do not know much about Nankang tires but they make XR 611 in 205/60-14 and CX 668 in 205/70-14 for around $60-75 each. Do anyone have experience with these tires? Please advise.

What would you buy if you need to replace uour S1 front and back tires in the USA next week? The best matching comb that I came up with is Falken SN211 tires: 195/65-14 and 205/70-14. Other suggestions?

• 1 month later...

General Altimax RT (195/65/14 and 205/70/14) tires work great on S1. Steering feels light and quick. Note, these are touring tires, not high performance ones.

For anyone state side, Coker Tires sells a Michelin XWX tire in the correct size for the S1 rear wheel, 205/70VR14. Only problem is they are $500+ per tire, which is ridiculous for 30 year old tire technology. Worth a look for someone serious about their esprit though.

http://www.cokertire.com/205-70vr14-michelin-xwx.html

The new XWX are the original pattern but made with modern compounds. If they were good enough for Jag and Ferrari amongst others back in the day, they should be pretty good now. Agree with you on price though. They're about £250 on this side of the Pond...ouch.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 month later...

I installed barum bravuris 215 65 R14 94H on the rear wheels of my esprit s2.2. some weeks ago

They have about the same diameter as the original 205 70 R14 .

They look AND drive good. I am happy with my choise

th_100_2864.jpg

Geert

• 5 years later...

I have Maxis MA-P1 on at the moment. Very good for the money if a little modern looking. Other options are Dunlop, Vreidestein, Blockley if you want the period look but more expensive.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Is that a typo, Alp Esprit, with the 205/70/13? A thirteen inch wheel? Because there are a significant number of Touring tires available in the 205/70/14 size (none of which are high performance, and some of which come from manufacturers whose products appear synonymous with “cheap” rather than “quality”...). 

Just wondering; I have an S3 so am not familiar with the available sizes for the S1 & S2 Esprit. 

Cheers, 

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)