Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Water Pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Water Pump

rogerch

Got my bits today, including a re-con kit for the water pump. There are instructions, but is there a how to anywhere ? Not clear on what I need to measure before dismantling.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must heat the pump in an oven before trying to press out the bearing and seal assembly.

If you don't, you risk cracking the pump housing. Also remember to heat the housing before pressing the new bearing in.

I do have some photos here

https://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusWaterPump#

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

First question, probably one of many.

How do I stop the crank turning to undo the bottom pulley ?

It's in the air, in 5th, handbrake on, everything is still turning (never did think much of the handbrake)

I could jam a screw driver down a plug hole but that seems a bit extreme.

Maybe a screw driver jammed between the belt and the pulley, I'm talking maybe alternator belt.

Any other suggestions ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Place car in 5th gear, have assistant push brake pedal hard while you undo the crank pulley.

DO NOT loosen the tensioner before doing this!!!!!

Some people use the starter to bump the crank while a wrench is on the pulley bolt and leveraged against the ground...

I don't!

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I got an assistant to jam a screwdriver in the starter ring gear...

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

There's another one ! that one wheel that keeps turning even with the handbrake on,,,,,,,, jam a jack handle through the mag against the trailing arm, locking the wheel, then with a breaker bar and another jack handle as leverage, using my mighty 68 kilo frame, I just managed it. :construction:

Question Number 2

The vacuum pump seems to be also the tensioner for the all important belt driving the water pump. There's an allen bolt in a slotted hole (which I've undone) and another one I've loosened, but cannot budge the pump to slacken the belt. Just wondered if there is a worm drive there somewhere I'm missing, it would seem logical as setting the tension down there doesn't look easy. I'm so much enjoying myself grovelling around under a car, with limited space, light, etc. :thumbsup:

There is only the the top pivot (hex socket for an Allen key) We usually grind down an Allen wrench to reach that.

Then there is the lower adjuster bolt.

Remove both.

I often find it easier to remove the 4 bolts of the vacuum pulley and get that pulley out of the way in order to remove the pump (especially the first time).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Roger

When I did mine I just slackened the top and bottom bolts off and the pump just swung enough to adjust it with the lower allen head bolt used to lock it in place afterwards. Maybe it's just stuck and needs a little persuasion.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Yeah, I'm re-thinking this after a spate of chest pains, I'm taking the plenum off this morning, followed by the alternator, I know strictly they don't have to come off but I'm just going to take my time and make it as easy for myself as possible. Not sure about this vacuum pump, I don't want to be levering off the chassis. can't see where I might clobber it with a nylon hammer ?

Removing the alternator will make the job much easier along with making it easier to tension the belt too.

Don't get discouraged, it's a bitch of a job but take your time and be patient.

1995 S4s

Just check adn double check all the damn pipe clips when it goes back together! Chasing water leaks after it's been put together is a nightmare!

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Had a good day, all the belts are off, the alternator is off the plenum is off, I have set to TDC ready to go tomorrow, and no chest pains.

The tomorrow mission is to remove the timing belt and the water pump, weekend off to watch the Melbourne GP then go see best buddy with the press to dismantle the water pump. :thumbsup:

I won't forget, but do I need a press ? to either get it out or put the new one in, because a press is over to my local friendly workshop.

yes you do need a press.

I haven't done it for a while but I recall these steps: (I may be backwards...)

you need to heat the pump housing in the oven.

THen you press the shaft through the pulley mount using a small socket or something. As you do this, the bearing and impeller will fall out the other end.

Then you flip the press plates around for the smaller hole and press the bearing out of the impeller.

To reinstall (IIRC)

you heat the housing.

I usually coat the outside of the bearing with sealant like hylomar as a lube and gap filler.

place the seal on the bearing shaft, coat the outer lip with sealant.

press the bearing and seal into the housing while also pressing the shaft into the impeller. Stop before the impeller hits the housing. maybe place a plastic shim to maintain the gap.

then press the pulley plate onto the shaft while using a socket to only press on the other side of the shaft (not on the housing or the impeller).

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Question Number 3

The bolt holding the bottom pulley was a problem to loosen, looking closely at the thread it has been loctited, should have been ? in other words should loctite it back in ?

• Gold FFM

I have a 'how to' for this Roger. Please see below. Glad to help.

Empty coolant.

Take pump off.

Pull pump apart.

Remove old buggered bits.

Clean left over bits.

Install new bits.

Put back together.

Put back on engine.

Put coolant back in.

Job's right. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Question number 4

Is there a direction of rotation for this belt ?