Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ponder me this.... - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ponder me this....

cjtpb13

• Gold FFM

...so why is it that if I am on my boat 20 feet above sea level, and my nose is only about another 3/4's of an inch from the rest of my face, that it gets sunburned and not the rest of my face

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all to do with the sun-wise Proboscis Presentation Angle. It's worse if you are wearing a beanie hat and sporting a full set of facial hair as Nasal Magnetic Effects kick in, somewhat like having a concave mirror in front of your face at a distance approximating said mirror's focal length.

I believe that the effects can be mitigated if you are wearing a burka, but not in France.....

Edited by wookie

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Its called Karma for having nice weather :harhar:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

It's because you are on a boat...and the water reflects the sun's rays giving you a double dose. As your nose (presumably) sticks out of your face, it tends not to benefit from any shade there might be...like your ears, hair etc. Tops of the ears have a similar problem...and those of us who are follically challenged have to be very careful of the scalp, especially early season before it gets tanned. Too much sun on the bonce too soon and you end up looing like something from Quatermass....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Lucky you. In a similar situation I get cooked like a frikkin' lobster on any surface not liberally slathered with SPF 88000.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• Gold FFM

Could have been worse Chris. You could have been going for the 'all over' tan........ ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

There are billions and billions and billions of tiny little sunrays and they all reflect off my pasty whiteness in Devon, zoom effortlessly through space to your nose ensuring you have the tanned healthy look of someone who has just been on holiday.

Sorry about that.

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

• Gold FFM

Unfortunately it seemed more work than a holiday. flew back this morning to have a meeting tomorrow. Bit of work in the States and then fly back down to bring the boat back up. Have to say it was rather nice not to hear the phone ringing for the several days at sea.

Just always found humour that my nose is about an inch closer to the sun and that is what happens. Landed in miserable weather. Been in such great temperatures the last several months for work that I got so use to it...oh well...

• Gold FFM

Christopher,

You have become a victim of the little known formula called The Schnoz-Brim-Sun Thereom.

Hypothesized years ago, this thereom extrapolates years of data from doctors surgeries and pharmacies based on the purchases of after-event burn remedies. The thereom makes no allowance for the use of any sort of chemical protection as it is based on data from after the event. If everyone was to use chemical protection, the result would itself be a paradox and the thereom would not exist.

If you apply the following formula, you should find a range of answers which may, or may not, answer your quandry.

Sunburn degree = ((hat brim diameter/schnoz length)*time-(sun declination angle * month number))/(number of beers * compass direction)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)