Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
awful steering - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

awful steering

can anyone help me out. Got a 1990 SE and the steering is awful. i seem to get a lot of bump steer and at speed it starts to wander( very scary) ive fitted new upper wish bone ball joints new dampers and messed about with the shims but nothing changes. ive got the S4 wheels on, but to be honest it was the same with the stock wheels. ive checked and double checked for any wear, cant find any. does any one know of any good geometry places in the north east. need to get to the bottom of this as its not fun to drive. ps does anybody think it could be the steering rack???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

It's pretty easy to check for rack play, so you should be able to isolate or exclude that. when was the MoT?

I had a Carb Turbo that was atrocious like your SE, and I replaced everything - all bushes and joints - on the front. Difference was incredible. The worst wear was on the small bushes in the wishbones. I reckon that's where most of my problem was. They're not expensive, and incredibly easy to replace. It's probably worth replacing stuff before the geo as you'll end up taking it again afterwards.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

probably need to rebuild the manual steering rack.

If there is play when the wheels are on the ground. have someone can watch for movement at the tie-rod ends, if no movement when the wheel is moved in the area of play, then it is the rack.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/SteeringRack#

JAE has a rack rebuild kit.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

yea finally got the bulk of my farm work done. been mega busy since about this time last year. need to get this steering sorted its a bit scary. hows things with you & the tangerine dream machine.

What do you mean ?? "Tangerine dream machine"

more commonly known as the "Tangoed Turbo"

I dont think anything going on in the area at present, hope to see you out and about, are you going to the show at Corbridge next month ??

Dont worry,be happy.............