Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Finally a V8 esprit owner! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Finally a V8 esprit owner!

steve930

It's nice to know that others think Steve has got an oustandingly good well looked after car. That's what I think as well - and he got it at a bargain price . . .

His comments about the pipes are probably correct - but he has got plenty of reserve for whatever replacements might be necessary. There were no advisories in the March MOT.

There are three other minor non-standard parts: the four-beam headlight relay, intermittent wiper-delay relay and locking wheel bolts - and one larger one: the upgraded core in the radiator.

As Kimbers indicated, "CL" was the registration suffix for the licensing authority that covered the factory. In the previous log-book it stated that the car was registered by Lotus and enquiries indicated that it was indeed first-owned/driven by one of Lotus' Directors. This is consistent with the servicing history that Steve now has in the car's service-history handbook. The Federal bumpers and hence lamps in the side are exceptionally rare for domestic Esprits.

Mike Sekinger helped me considerably when I rebuilt the engine and that help was and is much appreciated.

Simon Armstrong at Ultimate Performance did the porting and valve seat/throat machining on the heads. Check out UP's website; it's worth a visit.

The respray wasn't just a quick flashover. The bumpers and valences were removed and all fastenings were replaced. I suspect those of you who have removed these items might well be wincing as you recount your experiences.

Ex-owner . . .

After 11 enjoyable years of Esprit ownership during which the car was my every-day transport, I recently took possession of a two-year old Ferrari F430 F1. Rosso red, crema leather, carbo-ceramic brakes and 383 miles (yes, 383) on the clock. It was one of an identical spec pair owned by twin brothers. The other was high-mileage: 410. I think that Steve and fiancee Marina were impressed when they saw it.

With the current Ferrari F458 Italia, the soon-to-be-generally available McLaren and my experience of the F430, Lotus will have their work cut out if the new Esprit is to compete effectively with current high-end sportscars. I hope it does, but it's going to be tough. As with many things, time will tell.

I will though be continuing my 36-year ownership of Lotus via my 1972 JPS Europa. It is number 63 in the 100 that Lotus built to commemorate both their 50th Grand Prix win (I think) and 1972 constructor's F1 title. I bought the car in 1977, wrote it off in 1985, bought the salvage and have been rebuilding it ever since. It and the F430 are in the attached image.

My first Lotus was a 1972 Europa twin-cam that I bought in 1975. Regency red, registration ENR 784L - anyone know of its whereabouts? - then a JPS +2S130/5 registration ?SWL 478L that was written off in an accident in 1977. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of that one?

post-190-0-59804300-1305020032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Winter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ed. Thought I recognised it!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

To Ed Winter:

Congratulations, that Europa is certainly a fine looking car, trouble is I can't see it properly as that red thing is in the way. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work restoring her as you'll need her back on the road soon as from what I've heard on the reliability on Dancing Donkeys, don't they keep bursting into flames?? :thumbdown:

Only joking, that Fezza looks superb. Well done.

Cheers,

John W

Thanks John.

And here is a picture that you might recognise:

post-190-0-58086600-1305030350_thumb.jpg

WOW, fantastic photograph - must be a bloody good photographer :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Excuse me for hijacking this thread...

Jammy-pop, how about coming along to the Angel PH at Harling on 16th May to meet the locals ?

Colin

Hi edward, glad to see you've started to make some more progress on the europa.

not totally sure about the lights, but one car i viewed before buying this one had the federal exhaust and it sounded a bit more like a v8! . All the cars i've owned for the last 15+ years have been either 5,6 or 8 cylinder . i don't really like the sound of the esprit as is (sounds too much like a 4 cylinder!)

Steve, initially (upon new ownership that is) most V8 Esprit drivers voice concern about the somewhat "off key" exhaust note (primarily owing to the "flat plane" crank, or so I'm told), but you'll get over it soon enough. And, as you've probably discovered, the sound improves quite nicely above 3000 RPM. Enjoy! :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Agreed Iconic. What you need Steve is some sports exhausts on it, that makes a difference to the sound. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when I give it some with the window down!!

Congrats Steve :)

Love the crests on the headrests ! Are those embossed / sewn in, or are they merely printed on / decals ?

The crests are sewn in, done at the factory they did a fantastic job

jammy-pop/iconic ride. I have got a fed spec central exhaust on its way :D If it looks visually good with the toyota lights then i will keep the lights, if not then will change to 2002 spec lights.

The other thing is my first car at 17 was a corolla AE86!!! If only back then i knew what they'd be worth today, :(