Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Air Induction? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Air Induction?

Hi, Just picked up my new S2 project and was wondering what is the best thing I can do for air induction, my car currently has two air sponge cones on it, is this the best solution? Thanks, Charlie;)

Edited by CharlieCroker

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The factory set up was for the air to enter the rear compartment through the left-hand "ear." It is then drawn across the rear window by the engine into the vent on the right-hand side of the rear compartment whereupon a hose takes it through a hole in the engine cover and into the air box.

Having two little sponge cones on the carburetors has a few drawbacks. When the engine is running at full throttle at certain speeds there is a cloud of fuel outside the carburetor entries. This is called stand-off. This can lead to the air filters getting soaked with fuel. Said fuel can then drip and below it lies the distributor, a great source of sparks. Too many Esprits have been burned to the ground by fuel fires. Another disadvantage is that air drawn from under the engine cover will be hotter than air brought in via the luggage bay which, while possibly leading to better economy, would lead to less power. The factory set-up may be quieter than the individual air filters but I doubt this would be noticeable.

If it were my car, and it isn't, I would go for the standard, factory set-up.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Try LotusBits. I got my airbox and airbox cover from them a couple of years ago. If Mike doesn't have them then SJ's can make you new ones.

Edited by GavinT

And you can always add a K&N rectangular filter instead of the stndard airbox filter. Don't know if it makes any performance improvements but sounds a bit better.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 year later...

A bit tenuous (and stupid) I know, but is there a right way round for the standard panel filter within the wonderfully designed air filter box?

I've only just got around to fitting the rubber seal around the panel filter and it looks like it can go in either way.

I'm sure there's an obvious answer that'll make be feel dumb but I can live with that!

Thanks,

Will.

page 29 owners manual shows pleated side out rubber seal gap up

Thanks Steve - spot on (seal fitted as described).

Does the K&N filter really make a difference? I thought about getting one but wasn't sure it was truely worth it.

Chris, I have no experience of after market air filters but do read this and other threads regarding potential safety issues i.e. possible fuel spilling onto ignition sources.

Will.

K&N does make a filter that fits in the original airbox, it will give you more flow and won't be a fire hazard as it is situated at the same remote location as the original one.

SJ lists it too.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for my stupide question.

In fact on the right side of my S2.2l engine cover they are 2 holes : 1 for the carb, 1 for the engine.

If I understand the carburetors air alimentation must come from the car trunk right rear window ventilation and the engine air alimentation must come from the right outside "ear"?

Thank you for your help.

Arnaud