Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Chris Evans wants one... - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Chris Evans wants one...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when ads read ' POA ' or 'Call for Price'. Just say what you want for it and be done. If the price is too high the phone aren't going to ring. If too low then you'll have a quick sale.

I hate it when ads read ' POA ' or 'Call for Price'. Just say what you want for it and be done. If the price is too high the phone aren't going to ring. If too low then you'll have a quick sale.

I hate it too, but it depends why they are advertising. If it's a wife-inspired sale he might want the advert to be deliberately off-putting so they can keep it, yet with plausible deniability when he shows her the ad.

POA ? - To be fair given what happened during the sale process of Essex 007 I can imagine an owner of something a bit different/special deciding not to put a price up for all to see (and comment on).

If anybody calls at least he'd have the chance to explain how much time/money has been spent on it before giving the price.

Edited by Bazza 907

Guest surferphil

I think with the prices being all over the place it's difficult to place a value on such a car.

Markets are fickle, too high a price will put people off and no sale, a low price will sell quickly and leave the seller feeling like they have lost out.

I have no Idea what mines worth because its a rare car. I would probably test the market before committing to a sale as well.

POA just opens you up to endless telephone calls from tire kickers. "How much? na too much for me mate. cheers anyway' . You have to decide what you would be willing to let the car go for. If you feel it's 20K than that's your price. So list it for 20K. Timing is everything with rare cars. It may sell one week for a high price then the next for a third less. All depends on who's sniffing around the market and what their criteria is. . POA just says I don't know what I want for it, so how much you got? and if you could stick your finger in the air and tell me which way the wind is blowing that would be great too.

Set your price and be firm but be realistic. Which can only be based on what the last comparable S1 sold for.

If you had two identical condition S1s but one was a right hooker and one was a left hooker I wonder which would pull the most money?

Edited by GavinT

Ian Heighway's red S1 was on ebay for a while for £15k with offers - not sure if he did sell but the ads not there at the moment.

£15k seems the right ballpark to me.

Guest surferphil

Yes but it's not that simple, with a VW Golf GTi maybe but these are rarer than that, how many comparable cars are there? Can you really compare a Red S1 with a White S1 one original, one with replacement engine, one over 100k and one under 35k these things are very difficult to value and compare.

I wanted an S1 that came out of the factory White, original chassis, original engine and gear box. If it was anything else I'd rather have a V8, that's what I mean by fickle.

I agree about the tyre kickers but you know they send silly offers with a price on the ad anyway 'do you you want my alpha and £500 cash?' I get it all the time 'I got a 3 series and £2k cash waiting mate' and time wasters are always going to turn up, but in my experience in selling cars there are the guys who know what they want and know how much they have, they turn up with the asking price in cash spend 5 mins checking it runs and the V5 is good and drive off with a massive grin. That's the way selling nice cars is.

Piston heads and here are much better places to sell than Ebay for this car for sure, because like you said people need time to see the ad.

James bond had a white one, originality is what the collectors want, condition and mileage are those things I think are what sets the ball park with the Esprit, who knows and that requires some research. Maybe Scott Walker is the best man to know as he knows his customers and the market well, I'd probably pay him to value the car and then advertise it but I don't think POA is a mistake, it is used all the time for collectors cars and is a sound strategy for those willing to suffer some low offers.

I agree "POA just says I don't know what I want for it, so how much you got?" but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I would sell my car to Chris Evens but it would have to be for BIG money, mines just going so well, they are such a joy to drive when fully sorted !

I turned down £20k for mine at Donnington Lotus show 2 years ago when it was on the Lotus stand and I don't regret it at all.

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Yes but it's not that simple, with a VW Golf GTi maybe but these are rarer than that, how many comparable cars are there? Can you really compare a Red S1 with a White S1 one original, one with replacement engine, one over 100k and one under 35k these things are very difficult to value and compare.I wanted an S1 that came out of the factory White,

Agreed Phil, hence the use of "Ballpark". As Barry mentioned in the epic Essex 007 thread we all knew what the car was worth but the general public had other ideas. Its not just the cars, its the right buyer too and as you mentioned the right man won't mess around.

I am still not sure if Ian's car did sell and if so what he got for it.

Chris Evans won't be shy of paying top whack but then I am sure he would want the best - original, or retrimmed wth a Nick Fulcher interior and if that means paying £50k he is hardly going to struggle with that is he?

Edited by Nelly9000

• 8 months later...

Looks like Chris Evans finally got a White S1 Esprit from UK Sportscars at £23000

http://www.uksportscars.com/view/lotus-esprit-s1-1978-one-of-the-last-few-s1-esprits-ever-built/

Nice car and willbe good for S1 value's.

Welcome to Lotus motoring Chris.... :unworthy:

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Guest surferphil

I think 23K was cheap, but I don't know how original the numbers are and what colour it was originally delivered in.

The interior is obviously a complete re trim throughout, which looks great but the wrong style. I bet an original one would go for more but these cars seem to be selling very quickly which suggests to me that they are under priced even fully restored in non original style.

I hope the new owner doesn't have any trouble with the seller. Looks lovely non the less.

The car was originally gunmetal in colour with chassis number 0337G, it has done over 110000 miles although since restored.

The car was also on ebay (270867574523)

Nice looking S1 though and agree with your comments as all S1's which come up for sale now go in days!

Interior was originally beige/brown

Do or do not, there is no try!