Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My new old Esprit. - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My new old Esprit.

lxesprit

Question

Well Hi all,

I have jumped into the depths of old Esprit ownership. Before this I had a 1999 GT3; loved it then twin girls came along and wife wanted it off the scene. But I have just purchased an 1986 Esprit Turbo. After looking at the price garages charge for work I will do some of this myself. So I have some general questions like what oil do people use? where is a good place to get filters and general stuff.

Although a lot has been done on the car there is a lot to do.

Replace wing mirrors.

Replace both indicator / washer stalks?

A complete re-trim.

New CD player.

I live in SE London (Greenwich) so if anyone knows of a coach trimmer it would be appreciated.

I also would like to replace the steering wheel, what have you got out there?

Here are some pics.

Take care all

paul

post-297-1112991555.jpg The old new one one.

post-297-1112991632.jpg The new old one.

post-297-1112991694.jpg The inside.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

24 answers to this question

Welcome to forum paul nice cars you have/had...

I use Valvoline Racing20W50 oil. Heard from somewhere that it's good for Esprit and I have used it before on my racecar, so think it's good for esprit also :)

I'm newbie myself and don't know yet those best places to get parts. And it's even harder here in north :)

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Guest Troy Halliday

Hi Paul

With the wing mirrors if they are still attached to he car be happy. They are nearly impossible to find and when you do find one expect to pay in excess of

:) Hi Paul, welcome to the Giugiaro zone. I use 15-50 Mobil1 in my Esprit. Have noticed it tends to seep more from some areas than mineral oil, but with the mileage I do, I only have to do oil changes once a year. Always use a Genuine Lotus filter or the Crossland one(they make them for Lotus) Cheap alternatives dont have a non-return valve ,which causes low oil pressure on start up and could lead to bearing problems. The mirrors seem to have been made from unobtaineum and various members have there individual theories where they were made and for what. I took mine off to paint them and could not find any markings to indicate who made them. I think they were aftermarket type accessory mirrors (kinda like the Vitaloni ones Ferrari and Lamborghini used) As for trimmers ,you pays your money and takes your chioce. I have used 4 different trimmers and they were all bad! Even the Lotus upholstry shop p1ssed off one of our members (evil dr fish) The steering wheel is a MoMo and they had a similar style wheel for sale up to last year(maybe Demon Tweaks have some old stock)another alternative is Ebay(used) or a re-trim /dye job. I think the signal stalks are late Spitfire/TR7. Before spending big $ on headlamp motors ,make sure all of the relays are working properly, there location is at the back of the L/H headlamp pod and if your boot seal has been leaking (like mine was) they will have been submerged in water ! As for where to buy parts I reccomend Paul Matty Sportscars www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk The independant Lotus parts places seem to be much cheaper and more willing to be helpfull. Remember it is a 20yr old car and will have all the problems that comes with its age and compromised design ! :) Wayne 83 Turbo B) By the way beautiful looking car you have there! Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wayne I wonder about the desirability of only using original oil filters. I have yet to cut open a filter. From what I can see the "one way valve" seems to be nothing more than a simple flat rubber covering the outer holes of the filter base. Easy to see when buying a filter and usually advertised on the packaging. Also the filter for early SAABs, Volvo and some other cars seem to be the same. The factory filter here is about four times the cost of a generic filter. Am I missing something?

DanR

Wayne I wonder about the desirability of only using original oil filters. I have yet to cut open a filter. From what I can see the "one way valve" seems to be nothing more than a simple flat rubber covering the outer holes of the filter base. Easy to see when buying a filter and usually advertised on the packaging. Also the filter for early SAABs, Volvo and some other cars seem to be the same. The factory filter here is about four times the cost of a generic filter. Am I missing something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dan, the Lotus filter (as you look through the threaded attachment hole) has a spring loaded non return valve. As the filter is mounted sideways on the engine, after the engine is shut down a quantity of the oil in the filter will gravity drain back into the engine(if no valve is there). When re-starting the engine there is a period where the oil pump will be re-filling the filter with oil instead of lubricating the engine bearings etc. The anti -drain valve ensures the filter remains fully charged with oil on engine start. I dont think not using the Lotus filter will immediately damage your engine ,but over time it will. The Lotus p.n. is C907E6000W Its your call, although the filter is 4 times the cost of a generic, using synthetic oil will mean you probably would only have to change your oil once a year instead of 4 times with an conventional oil so the cost would not be much more! :) Wayne 83 Turbo (came with some crappy filter on it with a unpronouncable name) :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Paul

very new to this siste but an old hand with Lotuses. Currenl;y own an excel (14 years) and an S2 esprit.

I can concur with all those who advise the use of Valvoline 20/50 racing I learnt to my cost many years ago that it is the only oil that is up to the job in the 907 and 912 engines. I do quite a bit of work with Mike Taylor at Lotusbits.com. we break excels,elites, eclats and esprits and many parts are comon across these models and we can advise on the best thing to do (run by lotus enthusiasts for lotus enthusiasts. check out the web site) prices a probably as cheap as you will find anywhere.

Cheers Dave

Just noticed that Valvoline's oils are changed a bit (more to choose from).

I think this might be similar http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr....asp?Product=95

When I used Racing it was just Racing20W50.

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Hey Paul

Welcome to the world of the rich and famous or is it the poor and foolish.

I am restoring an 82 dry sump turbo. It will run on Castrol RS but i am sure that the correct grade mobil 1 or valvoline will do the same job. I would only ever use the lotus filter -

From what I have found out about oil is that it has to cover the 20-50 range, so a 10/50, 20/60 or a 15/60 would all be OK. and use a Lotus filter. I think that Valvoline was what Lotus used originally but I know that my 99'GT3 used Castrol RS. I might look at Mobil 1 as Valvoline looks harder to find.

Cheers

paul

:rolleyes:

Yes mate, it looks like "Castrol Formula RS 10W-60" could be ideal. as the Mobil 1 is 15/40. I have been speaking to Bee Bee Racing, Paul Matty and SJ Sportscars about this.

Looks about

Edited by lxesprit

I went to Lotus (Mel Broome) through Bell and colvill (Andy). I (my Dad stripped) everything off, but preserved the seat foams. We took the remaining pile of bits to Hethel, where, many weeks later, they returned a very smart interior.

Bits I had done:

2 off seats (fixed back)

2 off Tunnel side trims, 1 off tunnel arm rest, 2 off door trims, 1 off rear bulk head cover/board, including map pocket, 1 off front headlining (full glass sunroof model), 2 off side headlining (full glass sunroof model), 2 off Sun visors (grey), gearlever trim, Centre console.

I sourced and supplied the Connelly leather (now UK hides).

My opinion:

Stripping everything clean saved money.post-829-1127167468.jpg

I could have done a better deal in the end if I had let Lotus supply the Leather.

I had the roof and seat backs done in Alcantara and the sun visors in the leather supplied, I like this effect and it gets rid of that awful nylon roof covering.

I replaced the front dashboard strip, which is difficult with the screen in and post-829-1127167303.jpgGliptone recoloured the Main dasboard and binnacle (Good result). post-829-1127167430.jpg

Get a quote, Be patient, whilst the price went up it was still only

post-829-1127167237.jpg

post-829-1127167344.jpg

wonderful richard, but it appears they went over the top with the ruffles. i don't think the original upholstery had that many gathers. it does look beautiful, but it's a bit prissy now. don't drive in your pinafore or you'll look the part.

Hi Teigan,

Leather and Humans are quite the opposite, as they age car interiors tighten, unlike me, and I don't fancy the knife!

I am quite happy with the outcome, and if you are as old as me you will remember whole (Italian) setees like this, fellows with big hair and Gold medallions parked outside nightclubs.

Face it the whole car still looks outrageous and is far from a modern style. If you want something quieter buy a later car!

I consider the effect to be reasonably authentic and I certainly trust the original supplier to get it right, even the thread used is the correct colour (red).

Had you picked up on the chrome door handles or the alloy seat belt guides yet?

The main thing is to do it and enjoy!

Richard

as i said rich, it looks beautiful. maybe that was the way some of the originals looked, but the press shots i have don't look that ruffled. i am from that era and remember spandau ballet and duran duran. don't let them drive your car though because they'll get makeup and hair gel on the leather.

Looks good Rich - Gotta agree it looks a little over-ruffled but still very nice indeed.

Every single magazine I can ever recall reading called that look 'Ruched' Leather?!........I can remember being a little disappointed when I first looked at my HC and found they had stopped that effect with the trim..........