Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New to me Esprit S1 - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New to me Esprit S1

b69lotus

Hello all

I had purchased a 1977 Lotus Esprit S1 in November. It is 108H and was in fair condition as it sat in a field and barn for the last 5 years. I am currently replacing the brown and beige interior it came with and all the required engine parts to get it running again. It has Weber DCOE 45's in place of the fedral carbs. Is it worth changing to Dellortos or just tune the Webers to suitable spec?

Has anyone used a 7" magnaflow muffler to replace the stock one?

I will add pics of the interior as it goes back in this weekend.....

Thanks

Jim

post-11330-0-91807400-1309384326_thumb.j

post-11330-0-72271900-1309384360_thumb.j

post-11330-0-25574700-1309384377_thumb.j

post-11330-0-38185900-1309384434_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Jim. Hopefully someone on here will be able to answer any questions you may have as your car goes through its journey back to the road.

I would stick with the Webers for now. If you can't them working properly, then you could invest in a pair of Dell'ortos.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Jim,

Thanks for rescueing a classic. My '77 still runs on the stock intake and CD 175's as well as points. Can't help you with your specific question. However, I've owned mine since new. If you have any questions about what goes where, should you try to take it back to original, please give me a shout. Congratulations.

Lyn

Thanks for the welcome

I have rebuilt the Webers so I hope they will be suitable. One carb had been on fire and the aux venturis had melted off. These were replaced with new ones and I put them through an ultrasound cleaning to ensure they were clean. I am going to use a Pertronix kit and coil for the ignition.

Lyn - I am going to keep it bone stock except for the interior. I have replaced the brown/ beige material with black/gray leather...Sorry, I hate brown. I have also replaced the plywood and carpet in the engine bay.

I am hoping to change the timing belt and rebuild the water pump in the next week so I can hear it run soon. I will have to repair some small areas in the gel coat as well. I look forward to sharing the adventure with others who can appreciate the S1.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the welcome

I have rebuilt the Webers so I hope they will be suitable. One carb had been on fire and the aux venturis had melted off. These were replaced with new ones and I put them through an ultrasound cleaning to ensure they were clean. I am going to use a Pertronix kit and coil for the ignition.

Lyn - I am going to keep it bone stock except for the interior. I have replaced the brown/ beige material with black/gray leather...Sorry, I hate brown. I have also replaced the plywood and carpet in the engine bay.

I am hoping to change the timing belt and rebuild the water pump in the next week so I can hear it run soon. I will have to repair some small areas in the gel coat as well. I look forward to sharing the adventure with others who can appreciate the S1.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

If the car is back together this Summer, please consider driving down to the Lotus Owners Gathering in Las Vegas in October. Yours will certainly be the oldest S1 there. Sure would be a great story to tell your Grand Kids! Unfortunately, I've kind of become somewhat expert on the timing belt thing :censored: . Need to do my water pump as well. Might wait till the end of the driving season though. If you do run the electronic ignition, keep a set of points, condensor and rotor in the car. You never know!

Lyn

• 1 month later...
:w00t: Awesome job on the interior, did you do it yourself or have a shop? Despite the barn-age, looks like you've got a pretty nicely intact S1. Enjoy and do keep up the pics and updates. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the encouragement. I had the sewing done for me and I did the rest of the work. I still have to replace the timing belt.

Lyn, I would like to ask you a couple of questions about your experience....

I am going to replace the foam bumpers with fibreglass copies of the originals.

I can't attach any more pics to this thread but I can send via PM if you want to see engine.

Jim

Guest surferphil

Nice work Jim, the interior looks top class!

I need to re trim my car, it should have been like the interior you have replaced.

I don't suppose you have any of the old Brown and cream fabric left do you?

Phil

Phil

Material had all broken down and faded to a green color. I think I saw a thread about the material you need and I think Tony K had a source in the US.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...