Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Why is there a ball bearing in my engine?! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Why is there a ball bearing in my engine?!

Hi guys, when i cold start my 89 Turbo it sounds like there is a large ball bearing rattling around (though sometimes the noise goes away for 4 or 5 seconds) until the car warms up (60-80 degrees). Then its totally gone, the white smoke stops blowing and everything seems dandy. is there something wrong? Is it just noisy cams? i heard the esprit has noisy cams... is the white smoke normal...its not blue, the turbo has been totally rebuilt recently, and when the car is warm there is no white smoke at all.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would isolate the noise ....maybe an alternator bearing but even worse a tensioner bearing .

the white smoke....does not seem to be an issue as long as it dissapears after it is warm....condensation

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

It could be a sticky tappet / bucket. It could be a small or big end bearing. Difficult to tell without hearing it. Why dont you videe the start up and post it on here? It might be easier to make a diagnosis.

The condensation is common upon start up.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

The "white smoke" sounds like steam, have you checked the oil filler cap for mayonnaise??

Cheers,

John W

What oil are you running, and how long since you changed it and the filter ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

What oil are you running, and how long since you changed it and the filter ?

its 10w 60 i cant remember the brand but its one off LEW. i topped it up a month ago but was done fully in Feb. Filter too, i thought it odd it needed topping up so soon...it didnt need very much maybe 150ml but still...i guess i could have left it, the line was stil between High and Low on the dip stick

The "white smoke" sounds like steam, have you checked the oil filler cap for mayonnaise??

I dont follow what you mean!

It could be a sticky tappet / bucket. It could be a small or big end bearing. Difficult to tell without hearing it. Why dont you videe the start up and post it on here? It might be easier to make a diagnosis.

The condensation is common upon start up.

whats a small and big end bearing?!

"mayonnaise" is referring to what oil and water look like after they have mixed and churned through the engine typically found after a head gasket is blown, a gooey paste resembling the texture of mayo. John was saying to check under your oil filler cap for evidence of that.

Big end and small end bearings are referring to the piston rod bearings, big end at the crank and small end at the piston.

1995 S4s

''Mayonnaise'' is a common slang term for the oil/coolant emulsion that you find in the sump/cooling system which would indicate head gasket failure

''Big End and Small End Bearings'' - the two ends of the con rod (the rod connecting crankshaft to piston). Big End is the crank end small end is at the piston end (the gudgeon pin swivels in the small end bearing)

The engine is likely to use oil (not only from the many small leaks you will find - I think only 1950s british motorbikes leak more) but also because the valves do not have stem seals so some oil will find its way into the inlet manifold especially if the valve guides are worn

In terms of your knocking which goes once it is warmed up. - it could be 'piston slap' - the pistons are slightly loose in the liners until everything has expanded at normal operating temperature and can make a knocking noise on the liner.

Its a necessary thing - set too tight and the piston can seize in the liner when it does expand!

Just my two cents... as others have said an audio or video file might help

Dont forget - a stethoscope can help enormously to pin down where the noise is coming from. If you haven't got one a screwdriver held up to your ear with the point pressed against the different areas of the engine can also isolate a knocking/rattle etc

John

edit LOL - what He ^^ said

Edited by Mr_John111

• 4 weeks later...