Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Walbro fuel pump upgrade for S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Walbro fuel pump upgrade for S4

dodge1979

Does anyone know where to get a hold of the right pump to upgrade my S4 fuel pump. I have read the Walbro ones are good and have been used by people before, I obviously dont want to take the risk and purchase a seemingly good deal off ebay and find its a fake that packs up! Anyone know the right part number Im looking for and a supplier here in the UK?

cheers chaps!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard some bad things about the Walbro not lasting or being noisy... no experience though

I just put this pump in on Saturday, and it is working great! Even came with the correct o-ring, and it has a hose to replace the pulsator damper, which can be a source of pressure drop (loose fitting in my case). Do need the strainer screen part for $4 though.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B001LRMK2C

It solved my boost cutout issue, car not running lean anymore.

It is from these cars

Chevrolet All 1994-1996 4.3L V8 Chevrolet Camaro 1985, 1986 5.0L V8 F Chevrolet Camaro 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 5.0L V8 F Chevrolet Camaro 1987 5.0L V8 Chevrolet Camaro 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 5.7L V8 Chevrolet Caprice 1994, 1995, 1996 4.3L V8 Chevrolet Corvette 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Pontiac All 1988 3.1L V6 Pontiac All 1988-1992 5.0L V8 F Pontiac All 1987-1992 5.7L V8 Pontiac 6000 1988, 1989 3.1L V6 Pontiac 6000 1989 3.1L V6 Pontiac Firebird 1985, 1986, 1987 5.0L V8 F Pontiac Firebird 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 5.0L V8 F Pontiac Firebird 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 5.7L V8 Pontiac Grand Prix 1989 3.1L V6 Pontiac Grand Prix 1990 3.1L V6

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Well im running the larger objectors and I think the standard pump is showing a weakness here. Question is will this be man enough with the flow rate and pressure!

Im also running injectors as well as objectors B-)

I do not know. Still trying to find the flow rate specs for this pump... It does flow better than the pump that was in my car (1991 X180-R pump).

What size objectors did you go to?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

The biggest injection is the passenger seat one....the missus! Jokin aside I went fir the ones recomended by Lucas from five-o mortality in America. Good reviews on them from other users. Ive. got the specs somewhere. Think I posted them on another thread I started

That was meant to say objector not injector...shes not an addict! Silly phone with its special typin...

Hi Darren

I think you will find the Sytec ITP 116 will do the job for you . It is what i have in my tank and very nearly did the whole power thing on my engine , it was pipe size that stopped it not pump performance.. Fairly straight forward fit ..very quiet...

It is available from most stockiest , but i purchased mine from Owen developments Oxford 01865 821076 Cost only £124.00 delivered..

Dave

Mine are 380cc mains I think. I can remember the secondary, I think like youthey were as or near standard but a better. Pattern. Dave, I did pm you but not sure it went through im using good old phone internet at min.wish id heard from you yesterday as I ordered a pump available from merlin mortality. Think its itp744 or 344,aparantly an far one with 255ltr 80psi capabilities, obviously dependant on aplication.

I did notice when looking on the five-o site the spec of the injectors are saying they run at 43.5 psi. How does this compare to standard esprit ones?

Merlin motorsports not mortality, and fse pump not far!

RC measured the stock injectors long long ago and got 370cc/min for the primaries and 190cc/min for the secondaries. The Esprit fuel rail normally runs from 43psi and higher with increasing boost.

When you install the new pump, I recommend you leave out the pulsator damper and use a submersible fuel safe hose with 2 clamps instead. My pulsator was loose on the tube, and that has been known to cause fuel delivery issues at higher pressures and with higher power engines like the corvette.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

That info on the pulsator is sound advise., i removed mine when i fitted the new pump. This allowed the system to get up to 5.3 bar but obviously with issues such as fuel temp. You should be able to achieve the circa 3 bar you require without problems with it removed. I would advise a remote adjustable pressure regulator to get set up correct . Plus the std. unit if anything like my old unit will be 9 parts shot.....

I have not had any recent pm's or e'mails from you Darren.

Also great typo's .....nice to see yow have sponner fungers too.

Yes the predictive text on the phone is doin my sweed in! Id already planned on an adjustable regulator, I was going to fit that before changing the pump to keep an eye on the pressure during driving to determine if the pump. Regulators was faulty. Decided to go the whole hog anyhow now. I was however trying to find a fuel rail adapter to fit it on the end of the rail in place of the existing unit as a more permanent solution. Failing finding one, looking at having one made. As theyre alloy surely not too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Well new pump fitted, minus the pulsator! My inertia switch decided to give up tge ghost at the same time so fitted another one off a spare I had...the surging effect was not present upon the first test run. However, it then decided to rear its head again on second run.on thd third run it was not present. So, I know ive not fitted the pressure reg yet but im now wondering whether it nay wrll be a wastegatevor actuator issue...its almost like its building up boost then leaking it then building up then leaking...even at a constant throttle and speed. Hmm.

hmm, try taking some data with freescan when you can, and look at the tps to see if it is holding constant when it should be.

You can also do this with the engine off, but in the ignition on position. then move the tps and try to hold it steady.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

well I just drove my Esprit to the store, and I was looking to see anything like you mentioned.

At low speed in 2nd (~25mph) if I wasn't slightly accelerating, then the car was surging.

It felt more like the inertia of the flywheel and crank were too low to get to that next compression stroke, but then it would get there and surge a head with the power from that stroke.

It's been so long since I drove with the old injectors, that I can't remember what they felt like, or even what the car felt like when I first bought it. But this surging is something that I never noticed, unless I was looking for it, so it must be pretty normal for my car...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Mine when it occurs is very noticable. Even the missus noticed it as a passenger! Its never occured at slow town driving speeds, just motorway or upon acceleration from town speeds.im begining to think boost leak...ie a weak actuator? Not able to keep the wastegate closed...but then surely this would then occur all tue time? My alternative thought, is the solenoid fir the boost...could this have gone faulty,vand in a double whamy give me the code26 engine warning light fault code...