Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
MY12 Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

MY12 Evora

Bibs

^ What he said although since they've taken a deposit (entered into the contract) and they need to stick with it.

Ditto. Not sure what it's like over there, but in the US you plunk down a $5K non-refundable deposit, but the price is locked in. But this kind of thing is exactly why I'm waiting for the MY12 pricing to officially be released, which I think was supposed to happen a week ago. Counting the days...

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Well, €4,000 more makes a loaded Evora S basically a $100K car. A long way from the $65K of the base model.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/latest-my12-update-105212/

Lotus just announced to dealers the latest upgrades/updates to MY12 Evora's which include:

Price

Base price increase of $2000 for Evora however Sport Pack is now standard so really a $500 increase in price since that option goes for $1500.

Sat Nav

One of the most prominent interior modifications has come from the change in Satellite Navigation System. Both the Evora & Evora S Tech Pack option will now feature the Pioneer F930BT.

Highlights of the new unit include:

• Direct Ipod or Iphone Control
  • An App mode that enables you to listen to music and video from your Ipod or Iphone apps
  • Eco Drive, which evaluates your driving performance including accelaration, braking and C02 emissions
  • TTS (Text to Speech) which provides detailed voice guidance messages in 18 languages, relaying traffic information and suggest new routes based on Traffic Message Channel

Exterior Colour Options

There is a selection of new exterior colours, including 3 colours unique to the Evora.

Standard colours - 2 colours

• Ardent Red
  • Solar Yellow

Metallic colours (optional) – 6 colours

• Racing Green
  • Sienna Brown
  • Starlight Black
  • Arctic Silver
  • Carbon Grey
  • Nightfall Blue

Premium colours (optional) – 3 common colours with the range

+ 3 Evora specific colours

• Velvet Red
  • Aspen White
  • Laser Blue
  • Amethyst Grey/Only available on Evora
  • Frost Blue/Only available on Evora
  • Autumn Bronze/Only available on Evora

Motorsport colours

• Motorsport Black
  • Motorsport Green

Floor Mats

A new design of floor mats will be available as part of the Premium

Packs. A new logo will be introduced along with refined, high quality

leather piping.

Brake Callipers

Red Caliper Brakes are now standard on the Evora S and are part of teh Sport Pack on the Evora.

New Wheel Styles

There will be a range of 7 wheels for the MY12 Evora with 2 new additions:

• Design wheel, Gunmetal Grey, forged (19" front and 20" rear)
  • Design wheel, Gloss Black, forged (19" front and 20" rear)

New Exhaust

The new exhaust for MY12 improves the engine note, giving the Evora a sportier tone. Within the exhaust a valve opens above 4700 rpm, changing the flow of exhaust gases, increasing the volume. When the sport button is depressed the valve stays permanently open, giving an

exhaust sound commensurate with the car performance.

The exhaust gas primary flow path goes through a multi chamber

silencing system which reduces noise. This silencing system generates

excessive back pressure at higher engine rpm and could damage the

engine. The valve activation occurs to protect the engine from the back

pressure, allowing only a small amount of exhaust gas to pass through

the silencing system.

The naturally aspirated Evora with no Sport Pack will open its valve at 4700 rpm but only the sport button in the Sport Pack will override it.

Interior

Three different optional Premium interiors can now be specified on the

Evora range: Premium, Premium Suede Tex or Premium Sport.

The leather grade has been improved over MY11 giving an immediate

better quality perception of the car. The interior colour break down will

also change. The cabin will now be fully trimmed in the colour of the

Premium Pack selected.

Premium

For the Premium option there is a wide range of leather colours including Ebony Black, Ivory White, Venom Red, Cognac Brown, Imperial Blue, Cocoa Brown and Ash Grey.

Premium SuedeTex®

A double material seat with Ebony Black Leather and Slate Grey Suede Tex® is also available.

White with premium option all stitching in piping is in the same tonal colour as the selected leather. It is also important to note that all seats also come with tonal piping and the Lotus roundel embossed into the headrest.

Premium Sport

On the Premium Sport option a range of four leather colours are available, Ebony Black, Venom Red, Cocoa Brown and Imperial Blue.

The seat itself now has a different stitch pattern, carbon effect leather inserts, a contrast stitch, which is also replicated throughout the rest of the interior.

In the Premium Sport Pack the Lotus roundel emblem will be embroidered onto the headrest.

Other improvements

• Chrome Door Handles
  • Headlights-Xenon standard fit
  • Gear Knob-Better
  • Vent & Door Surrounds-In leather
  • Close Ratio 6 Speed Manual Gearbox-Standard
  • Interior Grab Handle-From plastic to leather

Anyone know where the direct Lotus release is on this? I mean other than the Evora/Evora S comparison table they just put on the site? I mean brochure and pricing guide.

Leaving aside all the cosmetics (yes, important to some, I dare say) two changes stand out for me, way above everything else, and key from a driving and performance perspective. They are the new exhaust system, and the close ratio box now becoming standard.

On this and other forums there have been many discussions relating to performance aspects of "the Evora". IMO nothing said on this topic has any meaning without being clear re a CR or standard gearbox. In my small way, on relevant posts, I have always tried to make this clear, and also been forthright on my view that the CR box was the only one to have. (After a test drive of the first Evora (LE, of course) delivered from Lotus, I refused to believe the dealer's assurances that the LE box was actually intended to be sold for public use!) So you've caught up at last Lotus! After so many negative comments re Evora performance.

I believe it will become increasingly clear over the next few years that the key distinction between Evoras, and their SH values, will not be so much their year of manufacture, as whether they are CR or not. I do not envy the owners of standard box cars regarding resale values. A few months ago I scanned Pistonheads for Evoras for sale. Of some 65, there were only 8 CR cars. Statements such as "the SH market is flooded with Evoras" are equally meaningless as those that ignore the gearbox in performance comments. The market is not flooded - except with standard boxed cars. Of course, in the longer perspective, they will acquire some rarity value.

The exhaust change is also good of course, but perhaps not really significant as the existing sports exhaust can be retro-fitted anyway.

Edited by mdavies

I heard murmurs that there was also going to be a long-throw box as an option, but don't think I'd go for it anyway.

Anyone seen "Autumn Bronze"?

Not seen it (and not a fan of the current trend of brown/bronze) but if I was Lotus I would make the colour close to theJames Bond Esprit for a bit of marketing spin:

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_James_Bond_007.jpg

George

Leaving aside all the cosmetics (yes, important to some, I dare say) two changes stand out for me, way above everything else, and key from a driving and performance perspective. They are the new exhaust system, and the close ratio box now becoming standard. On this and other forums there have been many discussions relating to performance aspects of "the Evora". IMO nothing said on this topic has any meaning without being clear re a CR or standard gearbox. In my small way, on relevant posts, I have always tried to make this clear, and also been forthright on my view that the CR box was the only one to have. (After a test drive of the first Evora (LE, of course) delivered from Lotus, I refused to believe the dealer's assurances that the LE box was actually intended to be sold for public use!).

I am actually going to disagree with you on this one, I think it's totally down to personal preference and driving style. My father and brother in law both have the standard box and prefer it as it suits their driving style. I however, like the CR box. But If I was honest with myself the small percentage that I make full use of 3rd gear (sometimes it feels too short!) is probably outweighed by use of the higher 5th & 6th gear in the standard box.

May be you should let people make up their own mind?

Edit - just to say that the sports pack hasn't been standardised on the N/A and the chrome door handles have actually been discontinued.

Edited by JAWS

FYI, USA Brochure at http://gglotus.org/b...12-MY-Intro.pdf

No Burnt Orange or Paprika. :( So much for the blood orange look I had in mind.

post-6978-0-05706000-1314475956.jpg

Edited by Moxie

I am actually going to disagree with you on this one, I think it's totally down to personal preference and driving style. My father and brother in law both have the standard box and prefer it as it suits their driving style. I however, like the CR box. But If I was honest with myself the small percentage that I make full use of 3rd gear (sometimes it feels too short!) is probably outweighed by use of the higher 5th & 6th gear in the standard box.

May be you should let people make up their own mind?

That's fair enough regarding individual preferences, but my contention is that Lotus gave the Evora a bad start by launching without the CR box. The standard box gives (gave, now I think!) a very different feel and a character that was far less that of a Lotus, though obviously it met tighter emission figures. (Note that ALL press review cars had the CR box, I was told directly by a senior Lotus man directly involved, though some mags were ignorant of that.) A while back a dealer informed me that the majority of new orders were CR. In any case, Lotus has now - may I say - put it's foot down!

Put it's foot down? To make way for the additional packs and options it was dropped (along with chrome handles and 2 wheel options etc) to reduce option complexity and inventory thus reducing cost and making the base car better value. Why cloud the supply chain when the demand is for 'S' and/or IPS?

You're correct about the press cars, but that highlights the difference between a test drive and the realities of living with a car and what you actually do with it day to day. For example, I think the Tech pack is a must in this type of car, but others would disagree etc.

Jimbo,

Think it depends on what you want the car for. For me a more sporting focus was a priority (hence CR box, sports pack & sports exhaust). I may have taken a different view if it was a daily driver and did lots of motorway miles. My only requirement was a parking aid but the dealer fitted a beep beep parking detector which is satisfactory for me (hence tech pack redundant)

However realise that some people want a different focus on our cars, in the end we are all right :-)

I think that Lotus need to sort their options list akin to Porsche, I looked at a Cayman S as well and would have added approx £5k (money no object would have probably been £12k) to the price. Porsche gets a lot of additional revenue from their option list which Lotus is missing out on.

Cheers

George

Cheers

George

I may have missed it, but I don't think that "brochure" says the back-up camera is part pf the tech pack. Really needs something standard because you can't see jack out the back.

Matt,

Read the document and I cannot see it either, there are no sensors on the back of the car pictures so I can only presume the Pioneer has that feature.

However it is easy to fit if it does not have it (although agree it should be standard) as my dealer did it for me.

George

I may have missed it, but I don't think that "brochure" says the back-up camera is part pf the tech pack. Really needs something standard because you can't see jack out the back.

Save the money for the tech pack, I have parking sensors and a nav-head-unit retrofitted for 1/3 of the price of the tech pack. Parking sensors were c. €500.-.

The cabin looks nicely polished and as anticipated the Alpine unit is out and the Pioneer unit is in still not the complete factory look one will look for but the Pioneer will also be an improvement! Funny how the car exterior hasn't been touched! After Donato Coco's comments, I expected him to fiddle a bit with air intakes and side skirts but no not at all, Russell Carr's design remain untouched on the Evora and Evora S!

My thought is that they will leave the open intake look just for the GTE at present. Then a year or bit down the line the standard car will get that look.

Gives people the incentive to part with their money to get the GTE for the more aggresive look (although the additional power is also an major plus).

George

Good review and an interesting blog with a positive view for a change.

I think your link to the review page is broken though. Try this: http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Lotus-Evora-3.5-V6-S-%28MY12%29/259007/

Edited by gtornes78