Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What do Evora 280 hp owners think about the Evora S ? - Page 4 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What do Evora 280 hp owners think about the Evora S ?

Cedwat

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely loving the Evora, first service tomorrow so will able to explore more of the performance once that is out of the way. The alpine 910 I had fitted is brilliant and not put a foot wrong. All good at the moment and the car is starting to loosen up nicely :)

Must be getting close :guitar: as on the last offical number update I heardt it was in the mid 30's and that was about 4 or 5 months ago and a few we know of since then 2nd hand (sorry - previously enjoyed) imported from Englandshire or via MMC. I'm e-mailing MMC at the mo on another subject so will ask the question.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

This thread has covered a lot of ground, but many of the comments - mine included - have compared the NA relatively favourably against the S, taking price into account and outright torque out of it.

Now the current issue of Autocar has "contributed" with their discussion of the Evora in the Best Driver's Car 2011 write-up. In the overall article Autocar refers to the quality improvements, gearchange etc.but I'm wary of quoting from their results because of potential copyight issues. Strictly on the topic of this thread, referring to the MY12 S, they say:

............... But in the transformation from the original car to one that's now faster and much more polished, we also suspect that a certain je ne sais quois has faded from its repertoire in the meantime. For whatever reason, we don't think the steering is as delicious as it once was, while the extra weight that's arrived alongside the step up in overall quality might also have robbed the chassis of half a teaspoon of sugar...........

Leaving aside their choice of imagery, that's also my feeling after trying two S versions. (Pre-MY12 and road only.)

Edited by mdavies

Westover Sportscars kindly lent me their 2011 S demonstrator whilst mine was in for some warranty work. I liked that there were a few improvements - indicator lights for side and headlights, much better gearchange but still not a patch on my old S2000 and the exhaust sound, very good with the sports button on, a bit of "burble and pop" on the overrun and generally a throatier and more rewarding sound. The supercharger - yes, quite a difference but not "Biblical". Certainly quicker of the line and in the overtake but did to a degree make me appreciate how good the NA is with 60HP less. Car does feel stiffer but in a good way and perhaps it is the Corsas and bigger wheels but it seemed even more glued than the NA car. Overall - yes I want one and will when it comes time to change the Evora - but whether to go for the 2012 or get a good deal on the 2011?

Cedwat,

Leaving aside MY12, For the S, supercharger, larger wheels and tyres, front cooling radiators and piping and larger diffuser and a different exhaust spring to mind. I don't have the figure to hand, but I believe I have seen plus 65/75Kg stated. I have no idea regarding the MY12 weight changes.

M

Edited by mdavies

2012. I'm currently getting itchy feet in mine aswell..

What color would you get ? Since CO is gone ? Just curious because CO is so extremely good looking.

I had a short drive in a '11 S in Laser Blue, not bad looking but think Ardent Red would be my choice in today's offerings.

Like Yellow too but my Esprit is already yellow, too much of a good thing ? How much is paint to sample anyway ?

Persian blue has also been discontinued which is a shame as I think my car looks very good that colour. That said the Ardent Red demonstrator looked very sharp too, more aggressive and attracted perhaps a little too much attention for my liking. Burnt orange looks great I think too but believe that's another that's been chopped! Something bright......

Cedwat,

Leaving aside MY12, For the S, supercharger, larger wheels and tyres, front cooling radiators and piping and larger diffuser and a different exhaust spring to mind. I don't have the figure to hand, but I believe I have seen plus 65/75Kg stated. I have no idea regarding the MY12 weight changes.

M

I read 55 kg.

I just read a comment stating that the NA version feels more agile on a track. It says the big difference between both versions is: with the NA, you have to see Porsches and Ferraris pass you in the straights and hope to get back on them in the twisties. With the S, you stay ahead in any case.

A bit of bragging here, but that's the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fallen for this SP Evora S.... Should I just go or an N/A and save the mony for a few future upgrades?

http://www.hiltonand...a-s/2011/evora/

Forgot the link!!

Get it now. Wintertime is when you store your Elise but continue to drive the Evora. Tomorrow I will collect mine from the garage with newly fitted winter tires :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've fallen for this SP Evora S.... Should I just go or an N/A and save the mony for a few future upgrades?

http://www.hiltonand...a-s/2011/evora/

Forgot the link!!

Went to see this one on Saturday and it is gorgeous... also borrowed a Laser Blue S from Parky @ Lipscomb for the day which was great. It is a demo but he was very good at trying to get the deal to work.

We are going to face the N/A vs. S dilemma when we buy. In the real world where are the key differences. We will probably end up spending 40-45k. Likely to do a small number of track days so mainly weekend type use. Any wisdom appreciated.

"Simplify, then add lightness”

So now had the Evora for 3 weeks not counting the time I have been away at work. Having now clocked up 2200 miles I thought I would give a fuller impression of the car seen as I have now down a long run, Aberdeen to Norwich and a track day, Oulton Park.

Having ahd a couple of Porsches, Boxster and 911 and pretty much all the main stream hot hatch ilk and Elise, Exige and 2-11 I have plenty to compare it against.

On track is were you feel it's weight but if you give this due consideration the car is incredibly planted and not a great deal will unsettle it. There are a couple of bumps on the way into Druids and one on the exit that could make life a but interesting in the 2-11 but are not even felt in the Evora. Brakes are immense, no fade and the hotter they get the better they stop you. No fade and plenty of feel. The cars turn in is also worth note as it holds it's line and give plenty feed back of available grip. If you push to hard then the car starts to understeer as a reminder, all very predictable and controllable. Oulton isn't the place to see where the limit really lies specially not on a cold November but it would appear that it will handle quite a bit more than I have tried. Tyres stood up remarkable well given that hey are a road tyre as opposed to a track based tyre.

On the road the car really comes into it's own, quick, stable, comfortable and almost telepathic on A and B roads. Being NA it does require a down shift, usually to 3rd for serious overtakes but with the sports backbox that's more a pleasure than a pain. In fact if i didn't have to swap cogs as often I don't think it would be as much fun.

The main problem I had with the car is it's ability to mask the speed your traveling at. What feels like 70-80 turns out to be three figures not 2. Coming back from Oulton was certainly swift and with one stop for coffee in Glasgow was all done in a little over 5 hours.

The interior has come in for some stick in the past but for me at least it is a nice place to be. Seats in many of the cars I have owne end up giving me a soar back on long runs but not so in the Evora. The dash layout I quite like and love the look when it's dark with the red and green switches. Time will tell weather it holds together as well as some of the german cars but with 3 years warranty who cares.

When I bought my car I deliberated long and hard weather to buy a SC or NA, now I am glad to have bought an NA as I think the supercharger would change the character of the car much like it did with the Exige but without the cam change issue.

A few more ponies wouldn't go amiss, say another 20 but it's plenty quick enough.

So for me a least the cars a winner and the honeymoon continues.

Mike

A few more ponies wouldn't go amiss, say another 20 but it's plenty quick enough.

Mike

See the Radium "cold air intake" thread for 21.5! And it's really - really! - impressive in lots of ways.