Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tailgate Release Snapped, Help Please! - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tailgate Release Snapped, Help Please!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TLF shows it worth again!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Yes I'm well pleased, I would suggest to anyone who may get this problem don't go through the transom, its so much easier through the boot floor and another tip don't keep your boot full of junk it causes an obstuction.

I was unlucky that I had all the shopping in the boot when it happened. Had to be done that night or we weren't eating.

Said to Madame "If you hear me swear, pass the drip tray quick"

"You're not going to get oil everywhere doing that I hope!"

"No but with my luck the first pilot hole will either go through the wine box or a carton of soup..."

Luckily neither happened and only a pack of ham suffered. :B)

This subject re-awakened my bad dream of cable breaking, so I made up " Macgyver" quick-fix for my US V8. Have provided some photos, hope they're good enough to get general idea!!. I made an separate emergency cable release for right and left latches from braided SS fishing leader. If not clear in pictures, I wrapped the leader around the latch slider and used compression ferrels to secure the loop. On the rt. side; ran leader from latch down though small piece of air brake tubing ( drilled then attached to lower tail light bolt ) then out bottom licence plate mounting bolt hole which was not being used anyway. Taped pull loop behind licence plate. On left side; Attached same type of loop to latch then ran cable through small hole I drilled in mounting bracket for air injection pump through to finder-well. As I don't put a lot of mile on car I just tucked loop for this side under rock guard in fender well. I used drilled out solderless wire connectors and used them as sleeves to pass wire through fenderwell and licence plate bolt hole on rt. side.. You do have to pull hard to open latches " only have to work once"

post-5316-0-20495700-1317410863.jpg

post-5316-0-25815700-1317410877.jpg

post-5316-0-83479700-1317410889.jpg

post-5316-0-06361900-1317410920.jpg

post-5316-0-18794100-1317410933.jpg

post-5316-0-63931800-1317410960.jpg

post-5316-0-60734400-1317410979.jpg

post-5316-0-71488300-1317411005.jpg

Thats a good idea, I've decided not to fill the 111mm hole in and maybe find a rubber gromet or something similar so that if it goes any time in the future I can just push it through and grab the cable. I have also ensured it is properly lubricated and silicone greased which makes for a smoother operation.