Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How do you adjust the timing on an Esprit? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How do you adjust the timing on an Esprit?

cazna52

I am sure this must be covered somewhere else but I have done a search and I haven't been able to find anything on it.

I have to either repair or replace my distributor and I figure after I do that I will have to set my timing.

How do you set the timing on the Esprit? The distributor is practically inaccessible while the carburetters are installed but you need them there to start the engine to run the timing light. But if you have the carburetters installed you can't reach the distributor to rotate it to adjust the timing. It seems like a catch-22 to me but I am sure there is some trick to it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my strong recommendation that you remove the plenum, there are those who will tell you it is not necessary, however doing it for the first time I recommend it. Mark the body of the distributor against the block so can align it when putting it back.

Once the plenum is off you will be able to see the clamp that will allow to swivel the body.

Within the bell housing there is an access hole just to the left of the started motor, and a bronze pointer. The markings are in the manual, but you may need to clean and possibly paint the marks to aid picking them up with a strobe light. If you haven't already fastened the floor back against the wheel arches, don't, a bit more clearance for the strobe is useful.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Ahh, ok. So you run it with the plenum off but the rest of the fuel system on.

Thanks for that. Hopefully I will get time to give it a try tonight if I can get my distributor working by then.

Yes it will run fine for your purposes without the plenum.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Sparky also recommends a small retaining plate be installed which stops the dissy moving out of the oil pump shaft, personally I recommend not being silly enough to loosen it so much that it can slip out, but if it does it's pig to get it back in (180 degrees out doesn't fit and there's the spring in the end to contend with).

I was silly enough to let it pop out, took me 2 days to get it back in. You have been warned!!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Mine popped out last night but I think I have it back in ok. I was just trying to loosen the screw enough to rotate it but didn't realize it is spring loaded. Hopefully it is back in well enough, the rotor button seems to be locked in and not spinning.

You have checked you have spark from the coil haven't you ?

Car is running now, and not too rough. I do have one worrying problem still though. It looks like my temperature gauge isn't working anymore, it is just showing maximum temperature all the time. I will start another thread to ask for advice on that one just so that it easier to search for in future.