Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lets see your axes - Page 10 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lets see your axes

Mark Blanchard

Oh, er, that means I'll have to find some from the photo archive, as I haven't got any recent ones.

It's a wine-red 1999 '67 reissue I bought it off eBay from a recording studio where it have led a hard life. The pick-ups had been overwound and fitted with chrome covers and surrounds, and it was a bit battered, to say the least. But despite having others, I find it the most comfortable to use, I haven't got to take a guitar stand, cos it rests on the V, and it sounds really nice. Plus it doesn't matter if it gets another ding. Still love the Explorers, but I'm not sure I can justify another axe because I'd just end up using the V anyway!

ian st.jpg

2014-08-28 20.29.513.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Very cool guitar!!  I think you could pull off an Explorer easy.

I had a cheaper Gibson Flying V Faded a while back, loved the look of it, but couldn't sit down and play it, it kept falling forward.  And it had a nasty baked maple fingerboard.

No, no, I'm not buying any more guitars!

I nearly bought an Explorer in the late 70's when they had the Dirty Fingers pickups fitted, but in the same shop I spotted a wine red '69 SG Special with P90's that sounded astonishing and was half the price. I eventually sold it to pay for an exhaust on the car, but I've been kicking myself ever since.

I find the crook of the V sits over my right leg nicely when sitting down, so I don't have a problem with it.

Margate Exotics.

Is that an RG?  Looks 80sTastic!  Those V8 pickups are heavy and raw.  Had a set on a Partscaster I made a while back.

Ive got a similar looking Charvel Model 4 I've had since the 80s.  Has the Shark fin inlays and pointy headstock, it's looks tend to divides opinion but it plays and sounds great.

It was an RG570 made around 2002 which was finished in silver and had a few scars on it. I had the body repainted in Lotus Motorsport Green, I stripped the original Edge tremolo and repainted it in Solar Yellow (without the metallic flake), automotive paint was used but solvent based to get it to lay thinner. I play it through a Marshall valve amp and the pickups are powerful enough to drive the valves to a warm tone on the neck position.

I also have a PRS Custom 22 that is my grown up guitar and a blonde Fender Strat plus from the 80's with the gold lace sensor pickups for a bit more blues...

www.lotussilverstone.co.uk

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Matthew Haskins said:

Very nice...

That's nuclear Pink.  I only had one Ibanez back in the day, but it had 3 single coil pickups.  It was pink, but not retina burning pink like yours.  Don't see too many lefties.

What inlays are those?

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

As Photobucket removed my photos below are some of my other guitars.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 2005.

25806861627_9cdb9385d3_b.jpg

Charvel Model 4 1987

39967921624_0e6b78401f_b.jpg

Fender Strat USA 1995

39967921474_2fe274714e_b.jpg

Knackered old Fender Tele USA 1996. My main guitar.

39967918374_3db9e51e45_b.jpg

Gibson Explorer 2017

39968410084_806939161c_b.jpg

Fender Strat Special

38867445750_93da530288_b.jpg

An old 1979 Fender Strat USA.

38867445590_f37471a102_b.jpg

And a Squier signed by Kenny Jones (The Faces), Mike Rutherford (Genesis) and Bob Geldoff (Plonker) for my 40th Birthday :)

38867883150_0f1c67dc6c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Too late and too many to post, but this is my current favorite. 

3261ED1E-5747-4AD5-AACA-B16C76295BED.jpeg

• Like 1

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Well I'm guessing it's a Dingwall with Fan Frets and Ford GT40 Heritage Blue edition.  Canadian based, ehh?

http://www.dingwallguitars.com/

Very nice!

• Like 1

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Speaking of multi-scale guitars, I picked up this amazing Yamamoto baritone acoustic last December in San Francisco while out there for the 20th anniversary memorial concert for my old pal Michael Hedges. 

7678CE70-6007-41C1-A229-1BE7A2B85CF1.jpeg

Two hours after I picked it up I handed it to another pal, the great Andy McKee, who played it like he owned it and gave me a massive inferiority complex. Bastard. :) That’s master luthier/innovator Steve Klein on the left.

0E72754B-E65E-46B2-9F2B-5632DB3881DE.jpeg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

On 07/03/2018 at 18:26, bogle said:

What inlays are those?

"Disappearing pyramid inlays" - basically bits of colored paper that Ibanez charge an arm and a leg for.

On 07/03/2018 at 21:37, Mark Blanchard said:

Knackered old Fender Tele USA 1996. My main guitar.

39967918374_3db9e51e45_b.jpg

There's something SERIOUSLY magical about the USA Tele. I have one, and the neck pickup (stock!) blows everything else I've ever played out of the water when it comes to that heavy blues tubular sound. I recently sold my USA Strat because it sounded like ass no matter what tone I tried to use it with. Weird. 

Wicked guitar, basic meat and potatoes stuff and a baseball bat of a neck, just the way it should be!!!! 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Yes I agree.  The Tele is basic and just a slab of wood but the tone is amazing.  Usually have the selector between both pickups (and through a compressor),  to get that snap, cluck sound for country chickin’ pickin’.  

When I’m rocking it up, it’s the 76 Explorer.

The others just collect dust.

40 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I always use the Flying V, while the rest hang on the wall. That 76 Explorer looks gorgeous, I could easily succumb to temptation to one of those.

How do you manage to play that thing sitting down? I used to have a Jackson King V - it was gorgeous to look at but I found it impossible to sit back and relax when playing it - always had to be bolt upright with one hand holding the damn thing up all the time. I still have a Randy V which is a little better since one of the horns is short but still same issue having to hold up the neck while playing... 

DSCF0958

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8