Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Spa track day? - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Spa track day?

Bibs

Can I see a provisional show of hands please? Who would be up for a weekend away with a day getting there, hotel and meal then trackday at Spa then drive home? Cost/date/moon alignment dependant of course?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Sorry. Busy trimming dog claws.

(didn't see that one comin' did ya? No.)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Fantastic circuit to drive round, last time I did it was a passenger in a Ford Galaxy people carrier :ph34r: which was interesting to say the least we just turned up on our way back from a Grand Prix at the Nurburgring and they let us on for free think they felt sorry for us :( , subject to all the usual stuff, I would be interested.

1: Bibs

2: Cliff

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

As posted in the Spa in an Exige thread, I think it would be great to have others along for the trip even if they don't fancy going on track when they are there. If you like the idea of a Euro adventure (4 hours from Calais) then sign up. Obviously it will be subject to dates for everyone however it would be nice to get an idea of interest.

3: Trevor

4: Sparky

5: Felix

6: Internets

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

This is getting a bit more like it. You're right aswell, it's only a few hours past the tunnel and possibly the most amazing track in the world even to just come along and enjoy the day off the track at. Some excellent local hotels, great beers and beautiful scenery.

If anyone is worried about their old dear on track, I can speak with our RSR and see about prices for getting some Exige/Megane R26.R/911 GT3(?) type cars along?

Its a yes from me!

7: Gary (LO)

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

Forgot to mention, for those coming for the trip only, I'm sure a passenger ride/experience would be available certainly in my car and no doubt an Evora S with the Bibsmiester.

Trevor.

Having just come back from Spa & the Ring, when, on a day the Sun shone on the righteous, I will gladly put my name down for another go. Holy Mutha of a track..... breathtaking..... (Obviously Date Dependant of course)

8. X27EVE

:welcome:

8. X27EVE

9. Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

for those who can not wait BookaTrack is going to Spa 12 and 13 November.

My experience with them, is that it is a very good organisation, as is RSR of course.

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

8. X27EVE

9. Dodgy

10. Ken Baird

11. Dave Eds

Dave.

I've been given some very good advice from some people who really know what they're talking about (thanks Jo @ Lotus On Track & Paul Golding!) and Spa is not a track for the uninitiated, even experienced track day regulars come home on the back of a truck with bits of car in carrier bags and at a fast circuit like Spa trips to the hospital can and do happen. If you're not experienced, you'll even be black flagged for being too slow, not a good result for what could be an expensive weekend either.

What's been recommended is that we ease into trackdays before trying somewhere as intimidating as Spa and work up to the track. Jo has suggested that we start off at somewhere like Croft early next summer and take it from there, perhaps afterwards a day at Snetterton and then perhaps Oulton. I'd rather not see anyone in the barriers, I think this is a sensible route and hope you agree. Still interested?

One of the attractions of this, apart from driving through Eau rouge was the trip onto the continent for a few days .

Are any of the near to UK circuits any good for this ie Abbeville etc

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I disagree with their opinioin. I think the track was fantastic and didn't see any slow drive black falgging going on. The point of the visit and I believe the level of interest is based on a drive into Europe with forum members and those that fancy a drive on track would have that chance in atmospheric surroundings. I believe one of your original posts about the lack of interest in track days will prove true and if this is put forward as primarily a track focused event, interest will deminish.

Trevor.

I disagree as well, nowhere I have been on track, are the run off areas as wide as in Spa (and most of them in tarmac).

I agree that the raidillon, Liège and blanchimont could be dangerous especially the raidillon, once you go up the wrong way, it's hard to stay out of trouble, but who is after Michael Schumacher's lap record? The thing is, you need to find a good organisation, which focuses on driving with respect, such as no overtaking in corners or braking zones and overtaking only on your left. I was with book-a-track early this year, driving between mainly Ferrari's, Lambo's,911s, Lotusses, Nobles etc, expensive cars, those guys were there as well for the fun, not for the trackrecord. People who drive expensive cars, know what they could lose and drive accordingly a bit more careful and with more respect. Don't go for a cheap trackday where you are swamped between, peugeots, citroen, ford, with all bg turbo's on them. Those days always end in tears, but those guys drive without respect, when the crash they takeout their big turbo, buy another driving wreck for £500 add the turbo and off they go. Such people you need to avoid. Also don't go to Spa in the weeks before LOT cup drives there, this year it was crazy how those drivers were training like mad men. There was little respect then, otherwise I would like to recommend LOT. Was with them in Zolder 2 times this year, couldn't be much better.

Beginners shouldn't drive Spa before 10am and not too much after 4 pm (especially on sunny days).

And I do agree when they say this shoudln't be your very first track experience, but Spa is suitable for novices as well.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Well said and I can recommend Goldtrack which is the company I went with and do Silverstone with, very professional. Will have to look at a map of the track and see which corners you are talking about as I don't know what they are called.

Trevor.

Hot and contentious subject this. I have just come back from Spa (4/10) and it was quite utterly brilliant, probably the best track that I have ever been on... all 7.4kms of it. I will go again next year, either with LOT or with someone just as good... but would prefer LOT... To go with Esprits etc would be :thumbsup:

Whilst I accept what Jo is saying, and tbh she is very experienced in these matters and her opinions should not be overlooked, I do believe that if you take it relatively sensible, especially if we were going as a unit, you should be OK.... On the day we attended, all the drivers of 458's, GT3's, Lambo's were very sensible... I believe there was only one impact where a GT3 had a blowout and hit the armco, but all in all, sensible drivers looking after their cars...

Having been on 10 T/D's this year I can agree on some of the above comments, that the cheaper the day, the more Chav's turn up in their racing Fords, Peugeots etc, and I tend to steer away from them...

If you do decide to take Jo's advice, please consider that some of the Premier UK Tracks are just so difficult to get on from a noise perspective... Spa is pretty much in the higher levels at 105dbs+, and if I recall correctly, some cars were much higher than that... and were able to get on track...

To have the enjoyment of motoring through some of the continents best roads too, would be a great experience...

I am interested in any circuit that a good group of us attend.

I have not done Croft or Oulton so they sound like a good idea, but do want to do Spa at some point soon.

I am sure Abbeville would be a laugh, but not really suited to the Esprits, and having done that one a couple of times would prefer somewhere else.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling