Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
>85 S3 front caliper recon - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

>85 S3 front caliper recon

Halletts5

Question

Hello, I am currently disassembling the front suspension with the intention of getting it all cleaned up, while I save my pennies for work on the engine. (Yes i have realised that to replace the bushes etc. will be expensive also) Anyway loking at the front calipers it seems that it is probably cheaper to get reconditioned ones than to do the job myself. I have found a company called brake parts superstore, http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d7858.html. This link refers to the front caliper to a Lotus Excel, looks very similiar to the calipers on my car. The service manual doesn't seem to give a model number or anything. Does anybody know if these are indeed the correct calipers? If they are, and there isn't anywhere else that does refurb kits cheaper than it makes sense to get reconditioned calipers rather than do them myself,which is a bit of a shame.

7 answers to this question

If your car is the later s3 (often referred to as the '85 Model Year) then, yes it's the same as the Excel, and the same as the MA61 Toyota Supra (that's the donor car for the callipers and discs). Earlier S3 cars are Gilrling which look very different.

How about a front calliper seal kit from SJSportscars at 24.95 + Delivery + VAT for an axle set (both sides) SJ089J0008 ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Buddsy, those calipers look pretty much in the same state as mine. Think I'l see what you do with yours and just copy!

Slewthy, Looks good, what paint did you use. I am currently in negotiation with a local powder coating company, not sure whether it would be suitable for calipers though?

Yes, this is a very old topic .... but no need to create a new one 😉

I rebuilt my front callipers ('85 on) this week-end using a AUTOFREN SEINSA D42138C £15 kit... piston included 🙂

The Toyota OE number is 47750-14150.

Be carefull, the piston diameter on our callipers is 57mm. Some MA61 models seems to have 54mm pistons.

IMG_20230401_192045.jpg.e204aeef82c156f5bb5ff4fd179382a2.jpg

• Like 1