Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dremels/rotary tools - any good? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dremels/rotary tools - any good?

Loose Cannon

Have been thinking about adding one to my toolbox, ostensibly to clean up components/suspesion etc and possibly some cutting jobs ie siezed bolts

However there seems to be a huge gulf price wise between the Dremels and other rotaries. With restoration costs adding up I'm wondering if I can justify it as opposed to some elbow grease.

Does anyone have one? Is it a "how did I manage before" moment or do they sit in shed most of the time?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent tool to have in your kit. I've worn out three in the last 15 years or so. Add an assortment of tungsten burrs for both metal and alloy. (Tool stores will have quality ones better than Dremel originals.) Include the rat tail one as it will probably get a lot of use on jobs you'd never have thought of previously especially in confined/delicate applications. The minature cut-off wheels are worth getting as well. Dremel ones are good enough and cheap too.

They're not that expensive here with starter kits, mains power and variable speed, beginning at around AUD $80. It's the burrs which become expensive, three or so can equal the cost of the Dremel. Look after them and they'll last years.

Make sure you get safety glasses and perhaps ear muffs as well.

Just re-read your post. Dremels are good for fine work but if you're cutting through rusted nuts and bolts a larger 1/4in die grinder and 4in angle grinder, either air or electric , will serve you better. Makita have some fine long reach electric die grinders. Handy too if you want to have a go at head porting etc. If air driven you'll need a large compressor as they need a lot.

DanR

I also have a Dremel, very handy tool, also have a chain saw blade sharpener accessory, cutters, grinders, polishers, I'm after a right angle chuck next.

Danny there's a place over in Perth that does parts and accessories at good prices.

http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

We have the Proxxon version of this tool. Its actually Fran's and she uses it in her jewellery making, but I nick it sometimes as its dead handy for difficult cut off jobs (eg pipes fixed against a floorboard, the stainless steel "chimney" on our extractor hood, etc). The polishers, de-burring, and other stuff also gets an occasional outing if a bit rarer. Its not a "must have" tool for me, but there's been many a time where I'm stuck trying to think how to achieve something and I've managed by using a combination of stuff with the Proxxon. Its something like this http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Tools-$4-Materials/Proxxon-Tools/Proxxon-Tools/Proxxon-FBS-240$1E-Precision-Drill$1Grinder.ice

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

As above, it's good for hard to reach areas but the consumables get used up fast doing man sized jobs.

I also found it was good for cutting fiberglass and so on. Basically it's very good at non-mettalic stuff and so-so on metals.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Gold FFM

Proxxon ..but not one of the high power ones (only suitable for model crafting things) -this one is still good enough for all the fibre cutting and drilling related works (mention that after some years a lot of the metal inserts layed into the fibre lamination will rust away..)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 2 weeks later...

Dremel is great for small jobs, I have standard and flex shaft ones, used both a lot on radio control cars and trucks.

For heaver jobs, a 1/4" air die grinder is the way to go.... got a mini aircat die grinder, and it does a very good job, and is quiet (72db). Just ported a 912hc intake manifold, and will be starting on the head soon. Get the sandpaper rollls for this kind of work, just search for 'porting kit'... you need about 4cfm of air to drive one effectively. I am using a 5hp restored antique service station compressor with an air drier and regulator holding the pressure down to 90psi. I started on the intake manifold to get used to handling the grinder and the sandpaper rolls.

A Rigid 4 1/2" angle grinder handles the nasty cutting.

Brian

I'm definitely in the "how did I manage before" crowd. Do yourself a favor and buy a large starter kit with a few dozen different bits for cutting, sanding, polishing, metal, etc., and take ten minutes to read the leaflet and see what each one does. :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• Gold FFM

Dremel is worth the extra $ from the no-name brands. I too have worn a few out over the years. I buy the 50 pack of carbon fiber cutoff discs... on of the most useful tools I have.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

For me the biggest attraction is the flexi shaft yet people have varying experiences on how long they last. Think I will bite the bit and go for a Dremel set, tried to find reviews on cheaper ones, one guy said his flexi shaft seized and it coiled around his arm tight as a cobra! Suppose you pay yer money etc.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I bought a complete pack on the internet ages ago it has everything, very useful for cleaning the AP disc assemblies the wire brush piece proved to be very good at that job. I think with all these things you get what you pay and its just a nice piece of kit with the variable speed control.