Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust Manifold Cracked - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust Manifold Cracked

I have been feeling pretty good about the car lately....have exorcised most of the demons and fixed a lot of little issues the car has had, and the list was getting pretty small.

Was underneath my car this past weekend looking for a rattle from the rear when peering through the left rear wheel well my heart sank...a large crack in my exhaust manifold where the four runners meet into one.... Along with what looks to be a leaking halfshaft seal. There is no balck soot around the crack, but I imagine there will be at some point in the future. The crack is about an inch and a quarter long. My fear is that this may have happened as a result of no engine undershield (which one of the prior owners must have removed and then sold the car without replacing it). I don't believe there is an actual leak yet that I can hear.

I guess my alternatives are:

1) Buy new (and possibly crack again)

2) Have the crack welded.

3) Have a custom exhaust manifold made.

What are most people's recommendations? Experiences dealing with this problem?

Thanks

Edited by Paul93Lotus

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First sorry to here this, its an expensive fix if you buy the Lotus one, not least because of the other bits, gaskets etc and then the labour. I would get mine welded if it went and see how it lasts, it may go again but my friendly Lotus mech said that he's seen good welders repair one that has lasted and lasted, its all in the quality of the weld. Plus it will be cheaper than the

The manifold cracking is a fact of life that we owners face.

Not sure if the bottom pan helps in avoiding cracks in the manifold.

A lot of owners report somewhere in the 40-60K mile range.

It apppears to be cyclic thing rather than miles as in how many times it heats up and cools. After all the darn things glows red every single time at night.

Welding it is a quick fix but it will crack again. Change it out and it will last for a much longer time. Seems the stock ones last the longest and some of the early SS ones had cracked right away. Not not have a clear opinion on the newer SS parts as they have not been out that long.

Calvin

Crap news man - sorry! :D

With DBredS4 on this one though, SWLC do a stronger than original for 450 quid and if you are a Club LEW member you get discount.

Got to be the long term solution?

I most definately would and am sure i will have to soon!

Chin up,

Rog

B)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Yeah, I have been thinking about that. I plan on pulling it myself, and then sand blasting it (I have a small cabinet) so it is as clean as it can be prior to a weld. Not really keen on dropping a $1000 for another....especially since that is approaching the cost for a custom job. I will have to give lockstich an email and see what they say with a photo of the crack.

Paul,

Try these guys http://www.locknstitch.com/CastIronWelding.htm I've heard good things about them ....
Edited by Bibs

I read that Lotus changed the manifold to stainless for the SE to stop the cracking. I don't know if it worked but if it did it would be worth buying a later type.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

I read that Lotus changed the manifold to stainless for the SE to stop the cracking. I don't know if it worked but if it did it would be worth buying a later type.

No, all the 4cyl Esprits use a cast iron manifold. The later S4s had a revised manifold with stronger webbing.

Replacing the manifold with an exact copy in stainless steel will not work as the steel is heated by the exhaust it won't be able to support the weight of the turbo. When going to a stainless manifold it would be necessary to support the turbo with a seperate bracket, and posslibly use a flexible coupler. Though one guy (Dr. Hess) did a thick sturdy flange from the main header flang on the head, to hold the turbo.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

If your manifoil is 13years I think you should be happy have heard that they let go after 5year in the woorst cases.But I agree its a expensive piece.

I belive if we can suport the turbo better from the engine/gearbox and mount some plates to avoid water splash from the wheel it will last mutch longer or for ever.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

My car was fitted with the later type (stronger) OEM Lotus manifold and it only lasted 43k (8 years) before cracking. :)

Ended up putting on the 'SW Lotus' variant. :lol:

Here's a pic when it was all nice and shiney.

6588.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

rydning Posted Yesterday, 07:49 PM

'If your manifoil is 13years I think you should be happy have heard that they let go after 5year in the woorst cases.But I agree its a expensive piece.'

I wish I could be 'happy', but I've only owned the car 3 months. I would post a larger picture, but with only 11K left after simon's pic of his shiney new one it's the best I can do. (global limit for thread) Is the reliability of this SW one questionable...i.e. it hasn't had enough time on the road yet to be sure it won't crack too?

The crack is near the collector merge....before the turbo flange. It doesn't look like it runs behind (at least I hope not!) But this definitely looks like some type of weight stress crack in my case.

Anyone have any photos of custom manifolds? If you have them could you start a new thread and post them(this thread is full for pics) or email them to paul_andre@earthlink.net ? There are lots of speedshops / custom fab places within 50 miles....if I had some pictures to show I could get some estimates on the cost to make one up.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

I gess if you want a aftermarked/custom build manifoil in better quality than stock one you have to pay a LOT.I have buddys with custom build manifoils that are cracing several times during the summer.

Go for the new casting.It looks like they are made in the same mold.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Paul,

Try these guys http://www.locknstitch.com/CastIronWelding.htm I've heard good things about them ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Locknstitch quoted me $200, and said it could be repaired after seeing a close up pic of the crack at 5 megapixels.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Here is Burt Waite's '93 Esprit manifold.

His car is highly modified

header-s.JPG

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/rescr/gallery/mi...22/lotus22.html

Pat Phong (Pong) on this forum has one too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that link Travis...that car is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a used manifold though...I'd hate to have it crack again after the hassle (and expense) of installing one.

Is it an engineering or material design flaw that causes these manifolds to crack? It seems even the S4 with upgraded manifolds have the same cracking problem. I've also heard (don't know how true) that improperly adjusted exhaust valves can accelerate the cracking likelyhood. Can anyone verify that?

-Chandra

91SE

There is an Esprit manifold on ebay at the moment -  Item number: 270006276837

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had mine replaced BECAUSE it was welded, it wasn't blowing or anything.

:lol:

Thing is, it was welded at the point the manifold has two banks side by

side (like this: OO ) in it's cross section (does this make sense?), thing

is, i was unhappy as...

A, the weld obviously could only cover the outer crack.

What if the crack ran through and was open between the

banks inside the section? (unproven)

B, I had this imaginary 'blob' of weld hanging inside the pipe,

waiting to break off and fly into my turbo. (unproven)

• Gold FFM

The exhaust manifold is a weak spot on the Esprit.

The crack on mine was definetely not repairable:

cracked_exhaust_manifold_01.jpg

So I got a new one from SJ's and had it Cermakrome'd and it sure did look the business:

exhaust_manifold_chrome_01.jpg

But after around 6 to 8 months later...

chrome_no_more_01a.jpg

The exhaust manifold needs to be kept clean and free from water splashes, but at the same time it needs good airflow to keep it resonably cool (it does glow cherry red after a good run). Both are pretty difficult to do at the same time.

Signature not working...

Has anyone had a coated exhaust manifold on an Esprit last? I have seen nothing but reports of ALL coatings (ceramic what have you) flake off. Money would be better spent I think on building some type of splash shield. Any water in large amounts (like driving in the rain) I think would be bad as you're dealing with a constant spray. Metal typically doesn't react well to super fast cooling from intense temperatures. :lol:

Edited by Paul93Lotus

• Gold FFM

I actually have a splashguard that I bought from someone in the US quite a few years ago when the Yahoo list was one (can't remember who, sorry). I never fitted it like a right plank and so don't know how effective it is. When the car is back together again I'll fit it then.

Signature not working...

Has anyone had a coated exhaust manifold on an Esprit last? I have seen nothing but reports of ALL coatings (ceramic what have you) flake off. Money would be better spent I think on building some type of splash shield. Any water in large amounts (like driving in the rain) I think would be bad as you're dealing with a constant spray. Metal typically doesn't react well to super fast cooling from intense temperatures.  :huh:

My friend used a Techline coating on his (revised S4s manifold) on his X180-R. Seems to be holding up and noticeably reduced heat off the manifold.

He has some left, so I will be doing mine now that my manifold is off the car for my engine rebuild.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Paul,

DO NOT weld it!!! It will last for 14 days. What is the worse, a peace of material could jump into your turbocharger!

Buy a new one and you will sleep OK again.

rgds, Borut

I have been feeling pretty good about the car lately....have exorcised most of the demons and fixed a lot of little issues the car has had, and the list was getting pretty small.

Was underneath my car this past weekend looking for a rattle from the rear when peering through the left rear wheel well my heart sank...a large crack in my exhaust manifold where the four runners meet into one.... Along with what looks to be a leaking halfshaft seal. There is no balck soot around the crack, but I imagine there will be at some point in the future. The crack is about an inch and a quarter long. My fear is that this may have happened as a result of no engine undershield (which one of the prior owners must have removed and then sold the car without replacing it). I don't believe there is an actual leak yet that I can hear.

I guess my alternatives are:

1) Buy new (and possibly crack again)

2) Have the crack welded.

3) Have a custom exhaust manifold made.

What are most people's recommendations? Experiences dealing with this problem?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOTUS Esprit Turbo SE, 1990

P.U.K. racing turbo charger

ECU chip 1.1 bar

Motorsport racing fuel pump

RC racing High Flow secondary injectors

RC racing High Flow primary injectors

custom made titanium free flow exhaust

Electric CC pump

Double size Chargecooler, heavy duty version

Racing air filter

BOV

Crankcase Breather filter

Ram air converison

Uprated Valeo clutch with 25% more torque

KW85 HT leads, IW22 spark plugs

S4S wheels, front mask, rear spoiler

Hi Paul,

DO NOT weld it!!! It will last for 14 days. What is the worse, a peace of material could jump into your turbocharger!

Buy a new one and you will sleep OK again.

rgds, Borut

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The crack on mine is near the turbo flange, so the repair will be visable from the inside. Plus if I have it welded, it will be 'furnace welded'...the proper way to repair cast iron. The reason most of these welds have failed is because they were not welded the correct way to begin with....of course if the metal is that fragile around the crack (once it is removed) I will buy new.