Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gear Box gate link stuck - what causes that? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gear Box gate link stuck - what causes that?

MPx

Hadn't used the Esprit since November so its been on the top bunk in the barn. But needed to use the lift to work on the Elan so had to swap everything around. It started fine as always but I couldn't select reverse. The stick was stuck in the 3/4 plane. Could easily get either of them. Tried for first/second....no go, and nowhere near 5/R over the detente either. Popped the thing up in the air and had a look. I didn't know how it should work but could see there was a lever under the main selector rod which made it look like linkage should slide in and out of the box ... but it didn't budge. Stuck a meaty screwdriver behind and with a bit of grunt it suddenly gave way and started to move in and out freely. Got back in the car and all gears were available just as easily as normal.

So my questions are:

Whatever is there in the gearbox that would have become siezed up? Why? How do I avoid it happening again?

cheers.gif

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train one of the sheep to hoof-and-toe once a day?

sofa.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

The crossgate linkage works via a couple off bellcranks, one at the lever end and one at the gearbox. They are connected by a cable. SO...reluctance to move across the gate has to be seizure of the cable, one or both bellcranks, or the selectors in the gearbox. The bellcrank in the car is well protected from the elements, so that's not likely. The cable would be my prime suspect...or the rear bellcrank mechanism. A peer under the car at the back rh corner will reveal this...and you can disconnect it from the cable by removing a split pin and the clevis pin joining the bellcrank and the cable. Then you can see if the bellcrank moves easily, or if the cable is stuck! A pity you didn't do this before applying main force, as you would have isolated the fault easily. Now it moves OK, it'll be more difficult to sort out...as, since it's freed up, it'll probably be OK for quite a while! If it is the cable that is sticky, a bit of lubrication would probably help...but that won't be easy due to the design of the cable. The gearbox end is the most likely to be corroded..the cable end becomes a rod which enables the cable to push as well as pull. Have a good look around it and things will become clearer!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Nice idea John H....just need to buy some sheep then. Any thoughts on the future of ovine aviation.....harhar.gif

Really interesting and helpful John D. I saw some of what you mention from underneath by the ns rear wheel and brake. Of course I was looking for something that looked corroded and/or stuck. I may have misinterpreted my symptoms, but it really did look and feel to me like the linkages were all loose enough (indeed had some free play) but the rod that actually passes into the gearbox itself seemed to be stuck rigid. After it was freed and slid in and out easily, that rod was quite clean and shiney and so almost certainly wasn't stuck on the seal where it passes into the gearbox. My thought therefore was that it was something internal to the gearbox... but I've no idea what there might be inside that would get stuck, but then be fine again when freed. As I say, I may have got that wrong so I'll try and trace the linkages further forward, though they disappear from easy view pretty quickly. Ta much.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

"Any thoughts on the future of ovine aviation..."

Funny you should ask, Mike.....

http://www.learn2flygame.com/flying-sheep.html

biggrin.png

Hope your issue with the transaxle turns out to be a one time anomaly.

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

All that is attached to the rod you mention are two projections, which fit into the selectors on the selector rods in the gearbox. The gearbox top comes off easily, all you have to do is remove the rear floor (!) and then the bolts around the top and lift it off. Make sure it's all clean first ....! Then you can see the innards pretty well. I think it is possible that the rod coming out of the gearbox could stick; but I would have thought the cable was the prime suspect. If you take the top off the gearbox, check the gear selectors on their shafts...some of them are indexed into position, but - if geriatric memory serves - one or some are not, and could move about if the screws holding them in place aren't proper tight. If a selector was mislocated, that could jam the mechanism. Unlikely, though. I assume all the gears now work and the problem hasn't happened again? Most gear selection problems are down to crossgate adjustment....having the crossgate stick solid is a new one on me!! You have a full forum account, so you can use the parts list the forum provides...download the whole thing and you'll see the full set of exploded diagrams of the gearbox and all the parts; obvious, then!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I agree with John, cable is prime suspect. However, the gearbox does have a design flaw that allow moisture/rust to be introduced to the box. Where the input shaft splines into the mainshaft is prone to quite severe corrosion - This then travels down the overflow from the oil seal scroll back into the box. I have dismantled one box where the results were pretty dramatic - Moral of the story, change the gearbox oil at the specified intervals....