Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Daytime Running Lights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Daytime Running Lights

Hello,

I am posting this message a second time since the first one seems to be corrupted in the SQL server.

I am planning on importing a U.S. spec 2000 Esprit V8 into Canada. To bring the car up to canadian regulations, I need to have Daytime Running Lights (DRL). By law, DRLs must come on autmatically when the car is started, one cannot simply click on the light switch.

I wish to use the fog lamps as DRLs in order to avoid having the light pods out all the time...

Does anyone know of a way to safely rewire the fog lamps so that they light up when the engine is started?

I thought about getting the power from the horn which is nearby. However, if the horn is fed power continuously whether the ignition key is turned on or not, this would not help.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,

Phil

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil, I would think the easiest way to do it would be to splice a wire into the ignition hot in run position wire at the steering column loom and then splice that wire into the outgoing (live when switched on ) wire at the foglamp switch. As long as the foglamps are relay controlled, I wouldnt think it would put any additional strain on the ignition wiring circuit :lol:

Of course Im not an Esprit V8 expert so I might be wrong! :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I have brought a number of cars up from the US into Canada and all i did for wiring the DRL's was to go into the fuse block under the hood and go with a test light until i found a wire that went hot when the ignition was in the run position. Once i found a wire i simply wired that into a relay and hooked it to the desired lights i choose to use for my DRL's. I would assume it could work the same way on the Esprit, however i am not familiar with the wiring of them.

What part of Canada are you in? I am in Manitoba.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The lights are getting there main source of power straight from the battery. The wire from the fuse box is mainly just there to trigger the relay to turn the lights on. It basically just makes the connection. If you worried about this, just wire it up for the federal and provincial safety and then take it off after. You can just turn on your fogs manually after. Cops aren't usually that concerned with DRL's anyways. I did this on my M3 when i brought it up a couple of months ago. Now i just turn on my headlights manually when i remember, but have never gotten bugged with them on or off.

• 9 months later...

I should have shared this earlier with the community.

For future reference, I attach the schematic to use the fog lamps as DRLs straight from the horse's mouth. It's an easy mod.

I forwarded a copy to LEW in the hope that it will be added to the Guide section.

Regards,

Phil

DRL_Schematic.pdf

I think that in the UK driving with the fog lights on is an offence unless it's foggy. :D

Doesnt that only apply to the rear fog light, as many of the front fogs are termed "long distance driving lights etc"? The fronts are also well dipped whereas the rear isnt and blinds the driver following.

Alex

Nope

Applies to front fogs as well. There was a case on the news where some old fella had inadvertently left them on and was done by the police for it.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Nope

Applies to front fogs as well. There was a case on the news where some old fella had inadvertently left them on and was done by the police for it.

Talk about police state!! I mean i bet there is some law against farting whilst driving. Whats the world coming too. :thumbsup:

I removed the fog light relay and took the power from the cigarette lighter 15 A fuse and routed it to the out of the relay. Instant day time running lights. It passed the Provincial and Federal Canadian inspections!!!