Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rover non VVC to VVC - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rover non VVC to VVC

For over 11 years I'm driving my MK1 Elise and I already had loads of fun.

The enige is still running as if it is new, nothing to complain, but after 11 years I'd like to have little bit more power. I have a Honda K20A2 lying next to the Elise, but the conversion kits are very expensive imho. If I cold find an affordable I would go that route.

A good alternative might be a replacing my engine with a 160 BHP (VVC) engine from an mg-f, I'm able to buy a decent second hand engine, but should I go that route what needs to be changed? Any one an idea, how I can change the cable tree easily? I need to change the ECU as well I presume?

Any thoughts would be great, before I jump into this project..

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand the 143 bhp EU2 VVC engine is a lot easier to fit than the later 160 bhp EU3 VCC

You would need the ECU, engine wiring loom and coil packs and I think it's pretty straight forward.

Many people are beginning to use the EU3 but think it needs more wiring changes or an Emerald.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

I would consider the Emerald as I really would like to have 160 BHP, this means having an EU3 engine over an EU2.

Do I need the Lucas unit as well? How do they call it, the 5AS unit?

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

My stock 143bhp 111s was running 170bhp on an Emerald and then a DTA Mappable ECU.

:)

If I got another S1 Elise I would go for a non VVC every time and tune/mod that engine, there are loads of goodies you can get for the non VVC head and it ran to 190bhp in the Exige/Elise without a VVC. I say this because a VVC failure on my Elise bust shedloads of bits in the head, in general I'm not a lover of 'clever' engine heads that mess around with cams and valves, your pistons have no sympathy when that kind of stuff fails...