Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coil Spring Compressors - S4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coil Spring Compressors - S4

Can anyone recommend compressors for the front conical coil springs. They are quite narrow and there is only a small gap to get the hooks on?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I uesd the triple set from machine mart. It was a bit of a fiddle but did the job on my 88 n/a.

Yeh I thougth about that Bibbo. Wasnt sure if they would have enough strength?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I use a hydraulic press, shock upside down, and something over the now top round surface, I used a small baked bean to prevent any likelihood of it spitting out under load.

The problem with a spring compressor is that even if you can pull the spring down straight, you can't get hooks out once mounted on the shock because the coils are too tight.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Might be a bit difficult to turn the car upside down !!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I used these several times. make sure to use the safety hooks... I almost lost a finger the first time when the spring exploded out! Almost hit me in the face too!!! You guys would have been calling me Travis "ring face, no-teeth" :vava:

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

ProtechShocks.jpg

There seems to be a difference in the coils, mine are X180, 1988 S3, which appear tighter, I bought a new set of clamps for the job but couldn't use them.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

my rear springs in the photos are original SE. The rear aren't that tight, but the fronts are very tight when in place. Lotus really preload that log spring to fit it in the front wishbones. I could barely get the spring compressors between coils.

I remember the first time I had trouble getting the shocks in and out even fully compressed. I actually removed the sway bar mounts and top wishbones.

Here they are in place, but suspension unloaded.

P3220011.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Travis that's dirty. :shock:

Indecently my front coils are slightly tapered the O/D slightly less at the top.

At least with the fronts you can just remove the whole assemble and do the job in the vice (or bench press).

For the rears, last time I changed them I didn't even use spring compressors, I put the top in place, put the damper in the cup of a jack and jacked up until the base of the damper would allow the 1/2 inch shaft in.

The dirt keeps the rust away... :scooter:

My original springs were also progressive (tapered).

My JRZ double adjustable race suspension went in without the need for a spring compressor!

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE