Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Paint Defect - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Paint Defect

lotusesprits2

Question

Hi all,

I guess a photo would make this easier to explain/understand so that's my next job.

Has anyone ever experienced a paint defect that results in very small pin holes in isolated areas?

The holes are like 'freckles' and using lay-man terms go through the top colour coat of paint but not the primer.

This happened to my S2 about 3 years ago and at the time I had a little trouble with some sloppy builders next door (airborne cement etc.) and I had a really poor car cover. I assumed it was one of those causes but chatting to someone last year they suggested it's quite common.

I've had the car for 20 odd years and up until about 9 years ago it was kept inside. As we all know, they don't like being kept outside but alas that's just the way it is.

From about 6 foot away you simply can't see the defects so it's not an issue per se.

Whilst I can't imagine anything other than a respray would fully resolve (and I haven't the intention or funds), I'm interested in the cause and anything that may prevent further effects or deterioration.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Will.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Has anyone ever experienced a paint defect that results in very small pin holes in isolated areas?

Pinholes are normally caused by moisture when spraying in humid conditions.

Rectify by flatting the panel back until the holes are removed & respray. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Also a symptom of spraying with silicon in the air. A major concern in bodyshops if wax has been used recently.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks all,

Interesting stuff.

I have read about contamination during prep/spraying but was a little bemused why it waited over 25 years to manifest itself - hence my focus on immediate 'issues.'

It's all original paint on the car - at least it will remain like that if those freckles don't all merge into one!

Thanks guys,

Will.

Hi Will,

Without actually seeing the car it will be impossible to be exact, but, It very much sound like micro blister to me...

When this appears in old paint it is usually due to the ingress of moisture that has sweated under a cover and popped.

You find it in new paint when water gets into the system during the process and is prevalent at the moment with the

change over to water based paints being incorrectly applied.

For some reason it is quite common to see it on some older f/glass construction cars.

There is no hard and fast rule to prevent it but the obvious is to keep in the dry and only use quality breathable covers.

Saying that i know of several cars that live out without covers that are fine...

The down side is the only correct way to resolve is to remove the paint and inspect the gel coat , then go through the

painting procedures to return to pristine finish.

You did say that it only looks like its in the top coat but i think you will find it goes deeper when properly examined.

A quick cheap respray will only hide the problem for a while and will be wasted as micro blister is like rust unless you

eradicate the source it will return.

You should be able to get a good assessment from a classic restorer who is used to working with f/glass construction,

an ordinary body shop will be limited in the experience and may try to sell you a paint job.

Sorry this is not what you wanted to hear but hope it sheds light on the issue.

Dave..

Thanks Dave et al.

The comments are all very helpful - I know what the ultimate solution is but like so many of us I can't persuade the wife and kids to fund the work!

I'm actually pleased that there is some evidence to support the issue around the car cover - which is something I did suspect due to the timing of the defect and the fact that the last cover seemed to get very 'stuck' to the car. For what its worth, the last car cover I had was an expensive purchase and was sold as 'breathable.'

My wife always reckoned that the cover was making the car sweat and it does fit in with all the other evidence.

Unfortunately, my car is kept outside - something that causes me great concern as I simply can't keep on top of all the work that needs doing (weather, light, deterioration).

After 20 odd years of wonership I'm not giving up though!

Thanks again,

Will.