Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Nigel Mansell - black JPS Esprit turbo - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Nigel Mansell - black JPS Esprit turbo

Lowtus

Catching up with Sky F1 HD this morning I saw a half hour show "Grand Prix Legends, Nigel Mansell". It included footage from about 1981 with Chapman and Mansell standing next to a black Esprit turbo in JPS livery with Nigel Mansell written on the side much like an F1 car.

Anyone know if that car still exists?

The owner lives in SE London, his son came on here and posted some info about the car a few years back. I recall we displayed it at Brands Hatch around that time and almost got it in te concours at Salon Prive but the interior was in need of too much work.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 8 months later...

Yes car still in existance wrapped up for winter now though ! (will the rain never stop ?)

Did a few laps at Brands Hatch at the back of the parade many years back, great experience

Never entered for concours, interior needs restoring will undertake this when funds become available, these are difficult times for everyone.

Used Lakeside engineering once, had not seen the posted pictures before today, all I can say is that the car felt and drove great after the lads had done service on it, however they are not in my neck of the woods. Previously Steve Grenald (top bloke !) of lotus servicentre Ilford looked after the car but he moved further out. Suspension fine although a bit creaky, car is 33 years old in January 2013.

Interesting to note Mark's comments re car for sale re coterie press, would like to find said article Mark if you could help me there as I have had the car for nearly 17 years and it has never been up for sale in that time. The picture certainly looks like the car although it never had gold wheels as in the picture. I know that Elio de Angelis was presented with a twin but with a different coloured interior, beige I think, when he partnered Mansell at Lotus.

I'll post some piccies in the spring, meanwhile thanks to you all for your interest

kind regards

Jerry

• Like 1

Hello Jerry and welcome. Sorry my statement above wasn't well worded, I meant the image was available to purchase from Coterie Press;

http://www.coteriepress.com/site/COTE/Templates/ProductImage.aspx?pageid=2774&cc=GB

The car is credited to Mansell there but the writing in the image is a little small to make out

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Sorry Mark silly me misunderstood your message, picture taken at British GP July 1981 fantastic and in GP Legends on sky thanyou to Steve  Sky footage shows Colin Chapman handing over the keys  to Mansell for the car. To Roger the Dodger I took the car to a Williams test day at Silverstone when Damon Hill was driving for them and met a Williams mechanic who had worked on the car, it was local knowledge that Ayrton Senna's gear changes were so precise comparred to other Lotus F1 drivers.

For the more technically minded , the car originally dry sump. was converted to wet sump pre my ownership !

All I know is that it still turns heads at 33  years and reminds me of when I was a yougnster watching a sports car go by  (E Type Jag, Ferrari 308, Lambo countach etc etc ).

Havent been on here for quite some time so havent read u too much , but had run in with local council when they put in speed humps that play havosc with the front underside (cooling fans) to whickh I wa told I must have modified the suspension !! Anyone else having grief where they live ?

regards best wishes and many happy trouble free motoring miles in 2013

Jerry

Jerry

I met up with Chris Cole just before Christmas and Steve Greenauld came along to the pub too. He mentioned that he had looked after your car and said that he'd try to encourage you to come out for a drink and give the car a run !!!

I saw that car displayed at Donnington at the Lotus show circa 1995. I have some photos somewhere as my car was in the exhibition  hall too. Will try to dig out....

Hi Neil,

yes it was in the JPS section at Donnington in 1996 I think, my how the years roll on quickly. A big thankyou to Steve Grenald that year as the car was in bits, collected it at 7 to 8 P.M. on the Friday and drove up the M1 in Snow so it could be in the show the next morning and Sunday !

• 6 months later...

Hi All:

I just made my own 1/43 Mansell´s esprit

I used a Auto Art Esprit ,painted interior in red and applied Tameo decals

I hopr you like it

I forgot when I took the photo to delete the two golden stripes, but now is OK

7093406b4a12314249f34881a3e9d21ao.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The video Steve mentioned at the start of this thread is here with Colin passing the keys to Nigel at 02:07 in this film.......

Quality not very good and the images seems to have been flipped around but worth a watch.

Edited by nello

• 2 months later...