Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1988 Commemorative Edition - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1988 Commemorative Edition

tcole6

Although I have loved Lotus (in particular the Esprit) for as long as I can remember, I can't claim to have extensive knowledge of it's history, especially with regards to special editions, etc.

Anyway, in my quest for an Esprit I have come across a vehicle that has peaked my interest, it is listed as a 1988 Commemorative Edition, #79 of 88. The link to the item is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOW-MILEAGE-ESPRIT-COMM-79-88-TURBO-5-SPEED-JUST-SERVICED-/110894298621?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d1d0b5fd

Does the interior color scheme look correct/original? Not a big fan of the interior color, but if it came on the car, that's how it would stay.

Looking for any input you more knowledgable folks can provide. Would also be interested in your opinions of the asking price, etc.

Best Regards and thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been repainted?, it doesn't look like pearlesecent white but the wheels do. The car below is original - note the wheels match the body color.

143956d1269785461-stunning-40th-anniversary-88-esprit-turbo-sale-lotus15.jpg

If the one on ebay has been repainted then I think it lowers the value, as the cool thing about the 40th Com models is the pearlesecent white paint and the very funky blue interior. Steering wheel is aftermarket.

Edited by GavinT

Does the interior color scheme look correct/original? Not a big fan of the interior color, but if it came on the car, that's how it would stay.

Tom, I used to own number 4 of 40 limited edition to celebrate 40 years of Lotus cars in the same colour scheme, pictures here.

The interior looks pretty original, except for the steering wheel & gear knob, and in very good condition. Mine had a plaque fitted below the glove box stating the model number which I think I can see in that one in one of the interior pictures. There should be a Sony CD multi changer in the compartment between the seats. Don't US cars have a collar on the gear lever for the reverse gear lock like UK cars do, that one doesn't??

Otherwise she looks to be in remarkable condition for a 24 year old car. :thumbsup:

Good luck & if you get her I'm sure you'll love every minute of ownership, I did. :D

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

If I'm not wrong, that's the gear lever of a Citroen box. I tried looking through LEW but it doesn't really refer to the 40th Com models.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yep, Citroen gear lever but then the Federal cars retained the Citroen 'box for a few years into the Stevens Restyle.

The paint looks Pearlescent to me, you can see a blue and pink hue to it on the same panel in different panel angels.

• Gold FFM

When I was looking for mine, I was told to steer clear of the Citroen boxed cars due to the unavailability of parts. Especialy down here in Oz. Consequently I got an S4.

Mind you, Tony K has 4 S1's so the Citroen box thing may not be a big issue.

I actually test drove the esprit turbo version in that colour many years ago when I lived in WA and the first time I had seen an esprit in the flesh. The colour is gorgeous. No denying that. I believe the wheels on the OZ cars were silver though, not colour coded. They had an SE as well in the same colour, but it was buried in the showroom, so the un-chargecooled turbo it was. Still awesome.

Worth a look. It's a pity about the wheel having been changed as the original wheel in that model is just stunning. I agree on the paint Andy. I think it's pearlescent as well.

Contact them Tom and ask for some engine pics and underside as well. Ask them if the undertray is still there as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks everyone. I have forwarded my inquiries and will post back with what I hear.

I have a friend in Dallas, Texas as well. Maybe I can turn this into an all around fun weekend :). He's got a few Porsche track cars!

Well, it was confirmed that the gearbox is a Citreon. Anything in particular I should be concerned with or anything special I should check out?

Contacted my friend in Dallas, it's only 10 miles north of where he works, Hopefully he has a desire to check it out for me. Guess we'll see. He is out of the country so often I don't even know if he'll be available. Fingers are crossed.

The seller had no pictures of the engine bay, says he will try to get some together and sent over later today. Can't wait... Maybe this will be it... I will post up what I get.

I nearly bought one of these in the uk, as far as I know apart from the trim and colour they are a pretty standard carb turbo.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The Citroen transaxle is OK, it was replaced for a couple of reasons> The lack of ongoing supplies (I think Lotus would have been about the only real user) and more importantly, as they wanted to increase the power but needed to not incur a high failure rate they needed something a little more robust. The rest of the world switched to Renault transaxles with the Stevens re-style but the Federal cars used them a little longer. So, do't be put off by the Citroen transaxle, it does the job.

So my friend is in SF for the next month with his family, that's the bad news. The goods news is that he has a friend who is a Porsche mechanic (they're all Porsche-heads) who is willing to take the short 10 mile trip to check it out (well that and they've got a few RUFs he found of particular interest). So hopefully by next week early I will have some sort of report :)

So...with this Citroen transmission...Should I just go with it for as long as it lasts, then should something go wrong replace it with something else or do you think parts would be available, at least for the next few years? To be quite honest, I don't see myself thrashing this thing about. It's more a sentimental thing for me. I've got a car now that redlines at like 10K RPM, but it rarely sees anything over 6K or so, and then it's just on the on-ramp to open things up a bit (good to keep the carbon build up to a minimum) so I'm hpoing it will last a good long stint.

I'm getting some quotes on insurance, just in case. Any recommendations on what should be expected for annual maintenance? I read somewhere $3-4K should cover it barring any significant events. Getting all those little quackers in a row should good luck prevail...

Maybe this time next month I will be posting pics of a Lotus from within my garage :)

Thanks again.

P.S. I find myself reading reading these posts with a bit of a Cockney accent? I have heard that can happen. I've even stopped enunciating my t's. Hahahahahahaha.

Don't fixate on the transmission, nothing wrong with it.

The pearl white paint seems to discolour on various components outside the main shell especially the wheels (I would imagine to do with heat/brake dust etc). get the wheels redone and she'll look as good as new.

Always loved those editions BTW, really rare special cars

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

One more question regarding the price. He (the seller) asked me "Do you have a number you see yourself a buyer at?". The price he has listed ($22,500 or abouts) seems reasonable given the mileage of the car if it is in good running order.

Does anyone else have an opinion on that? Don't want to beat him up if it sounds like a fair market value for the car.

Tom,

I'm not nearly as much a fan of the Stevens Esprits as the Giugiaro Esprits, but I've always loved this particular special edition. Looks great. I hope it goes to you as an enthusiastic owner.

Just keep in mind that once you buy it, you need to join Lotus Ltd. and then your local chapter, Tri-State Loti, covering NY, NJ, CT, and even a few members in MA and PA. We're just getting off the ground and are looking for members. A bunch of us are going to the Berkshire British Motorcar Festival tomorrow. Too bad you and that car won't be there! One of our members has an S4 and could probably help you out with ownership and maintenance issues.

Anyway, good luck, and if you'd like more info about the chapter, shoot me a private message.

Regards,

Matt

P.S. I may have misunderstood him from an interview I did with him on another topic, but I think Oliver Winterbottom did the interior and exterior color styling for this special edition, literally over lunch one day.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• 1 month later...

Tom, I used to own number 4 of 40 limited edition to celebrate 40 years of Lotus cars in the same colour scheme, pictures here.

The interior looks pretty original, except for the steering wheel & gear knob, and in very good condition. Mine had a plaque fitted below the glove box stating the model number which I think I can see in that one in one of the interior pictures. There should be a Sony CD multi changer in the compartment between the seats. Don't US cars have a collar on the gear lever for the reverse gear lock like UK cars do, that one doesn't??

Otherwise she looks to be in remarkable condition for a 24 year old car. :thumbsup:

Good luck & if you get her I'm sure you'll love every minute of ownership, I did. :D

Hi John, I bought No.4 off you. I think the thing I remember most about that car, other than the truly offensive blue/grey interior was that it always stank of petrol because the fuel tanks were leaky! I only kept it a year, and it cost me a packet, but it was my first proper sport car and I have some find memories of the odd times that it wasn't broken or stinking of petrol :) I actually still have the black leatherette document wallet for it as I kept it as a souvenir (and to hold my pictures of the car) when I sold it on.

I often wonder what happened to the car after I parted ways with it...

I couldn't go back to an Esprit after the (relative) reliability of an Exige S, mind.

• 1 month later...

No I did not. I couldn't get anyone up there to look at it. Plus to be honest I sort of got cold feet.

I have decided that I would really like a v8 model 98 or newer. My plan is to wait until I have saved enough to get one.