Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you choose your Evora? - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you choose your Evora?

Bibs

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I can safely put my son in it.
  2. It goes like stink and is a sublime driving experience.
  3. It looks stunning.
  4. Your yearlong test reviews.
  5. It's comfy.
  6. It's good value compared to comparable cars.
  7. You can use it as a hotel in Monaco, or so I hear.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I previously had an S1 Elise 111S which I loved. Did many track days over the years then last year after doing a trackday in France I decided I'd enjoyed the drive down there more than the track day. So I decided to buy something more grown up for touring.

My wife and I tried everything we could think of several Aston's, Porsches, Ferraris, and even a Lambo. None of these had the Lotus feel. The Evora feels similar to the S1 Elise - very tight and responsive. In addition my wife thought the Aston's and Porsches were boring for a weekend 'toy'.

We miss the soft top but other than that the Evora gets used more than the Elise did. My wife loves driving it - which I think is great.

When I was first able to buy a real sports car, after driving not so hot hatches as a lad, I bought a VX220. I had fancied an Elan m100 for ages, my first decent job let me get just enough money for a VX though and not enough for an Elise. I loved that car, everything I had read about balance, steering feel etc was right there. I felt quite the lad driving about in that car, roof off, driving just for fun. I sold it to by furniture for my first place and it was a mistake.

Since then I've had various faster, more expensive cars. I berated people on other sites slamming the Evora and Lotus since its launch, talking nonsense, irritating fools who buy German to show off and wouldn't know a Lotus from a packet of Walls porkers. I test drove the car at launch, loved it... and bought an Aston.

This time around it was time to put my money where my mouth is. Sold the Aston, bought the Evora and it's the best car I've had. I like comforts and it has them, I love driving and now I do it just for fun again. I should have got back in a Hethel car earlier. Why did I buy an Evora S? Because its bloody brilliant, and Ill defend that statement to the last!

I tried all sorts of other exotica, and the Evora was the only car that made an involuntary smile spread across my face :)

Pretty much this.

Also the fact its quite useable day to day, its unique, and handles like a Lotus..

I have driven various Audi RS and S models exclusively over the last 20 years and was looking for a new car in autumn 2010. The R8 was too expensive so I tried the TT RS and hated it. Its just so frugging ugly. So I bought a car magazine that had a preview test of the RS3. By coincidence there was also a short presentation of the Evora S which caught my eye. I had never cared for the Elise/Exige models as they would be too small as my only car, but the Esprit was the car of my dreams when I was young.

So I decided to go to the (then) local dealer on my way home, absolutely certain that this car would never ever be an option. A Lotus? As the only car? British build quality? No never! Well, I ended up spending 2 hours at the dealer. I actually spent most of the 2 hours negating my concerns about a Lotus until I recognized that no rational argument could keep me from buying this car. The Evora was just pure sex, love at first sight. I signed the contract the next day, not even having driven the car and not even having seen the Evora S, just the NA.

Now, 18 months later I still enjoy every drive in the Evora S. Even my wife, who thought I was crazy, now loves the car, though she is too short to reach the pedals and consequently can't drive it herself.

Might note that one of the arguments the dealer had that negated my concerns was that the drivetrain came from Toyota. In hindsight the Aisin gearbox has given me the most hassle and my first mod was the KomoTec engine tune.

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Even my wife, who thought I was crazy, now loves the car, though she is too short to reach the pedals and consequently can't drive it herself.

You know the seats can be moved even further forward (or are you happy the way things are!)?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

You know the seats can be moved even further forward (or are you happy the way things are!)?

Problem? What problem? :B)

No, seriously I always move the seat full back for entry and exit. So its either my comfort or her being able to drive that one occasion in the year.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I came within an inch - perhaps half an inch - of not. After a sequence of Elises, the Evora was the natural progression. Fired up by the rave reviews, I went for a test drive in the first Launch Edition to reach a dealer. I came away so disappointed - the gearing as the over-riding issue, but other things too, like the impossibility of even young children in the back and the lack of quality - that I went immediately to try out a Cayman S. Even half an inch more in the rearwards seat adjustment would have probably seen me sign, but my long legs just wouldn't fit. Subsequently I discovered the CR box and that all the Evoras rave-reviewed had it. I bought mine 10 months later when the build quality had improved hugely too, including - and perhaps I've just been lucky - the gear change.

More recently I've tried a Cayman R - has a thinner sports seat - for a day on the road, and an hour on the track. I've posted here before that I wouldn't swap. It's a great car, but it doesn't have the Lotus feel, and now with the CAI, is just not comparable.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

My Story

After having spent most of my driving life in various interesting cars (MGB, NSX, Cerbera, M5, Phaeton, etc…) I moved into a new flat, with one parking space that was small and I needed to parallel park in. I took the opportunity to completely change things around and buy my first ever brand new car… an Abarth 500.

It was an experiment to see whether I could live with something that cheap and small as my only car. 15 months later, 1 pay rise and a wedding coming up in 18 months time, I sat down and thought about cars for a bit and wondered why I wasn't in something ludicrous again :D I could afford it right now, but closer to the wedding I might not be able to quite as easily, so it was now or never to switch.

I started with a budget of £15k, and looking at AMG mercs and the like, but then I looked at my finances a bit closer and realised I could probably afford around £30k really, so started to look at Boxsters and Caymans. I've never liked Porsches (a legacy of being both an NSX and a TVR boy) but they seemed the best car in the market at that price range.

However, and Aston Martin Vantage was not much more at £35k, so I started hunting for one.

All the while I had been talking to friends about my journey and someone piped up "What about an Evora?" To be honest, I had completely forgotten about them and they weren't on my radar. I went and had a look at a leggy non S up for £33k-ish, just to rule it out. I'm nothing if not thorough.

I loved it.

But, I was worried that it already had 35k on the clock, and as I was going to use it as my main car then selling it in a year or two with 50-60k on the clock was a big worry in terms of price. It just so happened the dealer had an Evora S, 1 year old with 1400 miles on the clock, up for £42k.

So there we have it. All of that took about a week in total, I went from buying a £15k car to buying a £42k car, in what seemed like a perfectly reasonable set of man-math justification at each step of the way, but looking back, maybe not so :D

I was smitten with the Evora though, crappy gearbox aside. I've never driven something that combines usability, ride and handling in quite the same fashion. Plus things are looking good depreciation wise for my car, so unless the bottom falls out of the market, when I probably move on just before the wedding, I won't have lost too much!

Thats the easiest question of the day.

No car...

Turns Heads..

Looks as great..

Sounds as good..

Drives like a race car..

for the same money!

Words of clarkson, 'like a killer attack dog and an old sofa at the same time' you cant sum the car up any better i dont think.

My evora S is the best purchase i ever made, who says money cant buy you happiness?

In my opinion, all you guys who have made the leep to lotus - your all legends and we all know whos got the better deal when you pass those souped up voltswagen beatles that everyone seems to be buying these days..

The ride is absolutely magical.

The looks are incredible: yesterday a guy in a Ferrari California stopped to take à picture of my car...

It has a soul, even if sometimes it means being à b**tch... I've had lots of problems during my first year of ownership, but when I watched it go that was very painful. My first true driver's car.

Now, owning a Porsche instead? No, thanks.

I do not yet own an Evora, but I have a 2012 Evora S on order an dhope to take delivery in several months.

For me the choice of Evora has nothing to do with selecting a car as a regular driver or even as a second car. I am a Lotus collector. The aforementioned Evora S will be the 10th car added to my collection. My other vehicles are chosen for their utility - base Subaru Impreza as daily driver, SAAB 9-3 Sport-Combi as family car, Ford F250 for towing and hauling. I would ever consider buying a Porsche or any other non Lotus sports car as they would be anathem to my idiom.

So the decision to get the Evora was not should I buy an Evora vs Prosche, Aston, Merc etc, but rather should I get an Evora or an Esprit, Elige, Elan, Cortina etc. I am basically open to getting any Lotus so long as the cirsumstances, price and condition are right.

So why the Evora? A long and multifacted decision...

When the Evora first came out I was hardly enamored by the styling or specification. As most know it looks a bit awkward from some angles in photos but when I first saw it at the US intro at the local dealer I was totally smitten by the styling, but less so with the driving experience - though I should say I was limited to stop and go traffic for a short distance.

My eye were opened much futher to the Evora when I had the opportunty to drive one for a week (an experience I wrote up for reMarque and can post here if there is any demand). I used the 2010 NA as a daily drive for a week. Took it to work, the gym, through the drive in at KFC, to the pizza joint, beer store and pretty much everywhere. While it shows some limitations in utilty (Bucket of Chicken won't fit upright through window) I was very pleased with the comfort level and abilty to use the car for any purpose.

I also took plenty of opportunities to delve into the perfomance of the car and was totally impressed with the handling and ride (but who isn't). I was even impressed with the acceleration (sport package). Even the "horrible" gear change really wasn't all that bad.

First opportunity I had I took the wife for a drive and at the end she summearized "THis car is so much more comfortable than the Elise. It's much less noisy and smooth over the road. And it is gorgeous. If you want to get one you can" This and our toddler son were major influences on the decision.

I will be turning 50 soon and decided to add another Lotus to the stable as a mid life crisis 50th birthday present to myself. At the time of making the decision Dany's plan was in full media mode and I thought I might not ever be able to afford a new Lotus again if his plan came to fruition, so since the Evora was high up on the list of cars to get, it had its originas in the leadership of MJK - and associate of ACBC, it is modern and reliable, and fit the bill for everything I currently want in a Lotus I ordered an Evora S. The spec has everything, though it is intended to be more of a GT than a sports car I did order all of the standard performance stuff, the appearance and interior are intended to provide maximum comfort and elegance of appearance.

I am sure - based on the comments from numerous other owners and my own blindness to the faults of my Lotus - that I will not be disappointed.

Kyle Kaulback

Kyle,

I'd like to read the ReMarque article. I think that was before I joined Lotus Ltd.

Also, "anathema to my idiom" is quote of the day.

- M@

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

One person requesting is enough of a demand but it'll have to wait until I return home tonight.

And I am glad to have made your quote of the day.

Kyle Kaulback

I am sure - based on the comments from numerous other owners and my own blindness to the faults of my Lotus - that I will not be disappointed.

Hi Kyle, thanks for your post, very interesting! As a new Evora owner myself, I'm convinced that (as long as you keep some of that necessary Lotus-lover blindness), you will be far from disappointed. In fact, I think you'll agree that the Evora takes Lotus-ownership to a whole new level, updated to match the expectations of the modern sports car owner, but (critically) without losing any of that Lotus magic. Hope you don't have to wait too long for that new family member!

Rob S

Kyle,

I'd like to read the ReMarque article. I think that was before I joined Lotus Ltd.

Also, "anathema to my idiom" is quote of the day.

- M@

Here is the aforementioned article. It very much reflect my continued opinion on the Evora. I hope you enjoy it...

Peril!

I implore you friend, do not drive a Lotus Evora. And if you are inclined to ignore my plea, I insist that you do not allow your spouse in the passenger seat. To do so will put you in great peril. I have experienced this peril first hand and know from whence I speak.

It all started when Richard Parramint contacted me about my ProLOG event. Richard, it seemed had attended a VIP gathering at Hethel revolving around Lotus’ Paris Auto Show debuts and chatted up Tom Popadopoulas, dealer principle at Autosport Designs – the Lotus dealer on Long Island. It was this encounter that sealed my fate with no foreknowledge on my part. Richard, you see, arranged for Tom to supply him with a dealer demo Evora to drive to LOG. Well done, Richard! Problem was, the car was on Long Island and Richard was arriving to LOG in Gettsyburg via Pittsburgh. So Richard, being the fine gentleman that he is, and Tom, being an amazingly accommodating gentleman (more on that later) agreed that Bethel, the location of the ProLOG event and home to the Lotus Barn would be a good location for the Evora to be delivered. “Kyle,” Inquired Richard, “Would you be so kind as to take delivery of an Evora for me prior to LOG?” Well, what was I going to say? “Of course, just have them call me to set up the delivery”.

Two days before ProLOG, I was contacted by Mario, Autosport Designs driver. “I’m calling about the Lotus Evora” he said, “I’m in your driveway right now.” What?! I had been cleaning the Barn in preparation for ProLOG and all of the Lotus therein were pushed to the front so the back of the Barn could be swept and mopped. Fortunately, I had the job done, so making room for the Evora was a matter of pushing several cars to the back to clear a spot. Mario deftly unloaded the car and placed it neatly in the Barn.

It was raining at the time, so I resisted the urge to drive it. The rain soon abated and the roads dried by the time my wife Irena was leaving work, so I called her to tell her I had something to show her and to not tarry so she’d get home before darkness was nigh. Upon her arrival, I quickly ushered her into the Barn and presented the Evora like a Carol Marol before curtain number one. Then, it was off for a drive.

I live at the base of a mountain along the peak of which runs a portion of the Appalachian Trail. The pass is, as expected quite twisty, two lane up the south face and four lane up the north. It is a road I know well, for it is my route to work and is the demonstration run for guests who request a drive in a Lotus. As such, I know every foot of the tarmac and have driven it in multiple Lotus including modern iterations such as the Elise and Exige S. So it was that Irena and I embarked for a short jaunt through the pass purely for evaluative purposes, I promise. Now when I have driven the aforementioned 111’s up the north face, I sustain speeds that, well, let’s just say the local constabulary would frown upon. And the 111’s are up to the job. But it is a hard ride, and the bumps are transmitted directly to the spine. And while I am always in control and nowhere near the limit of these wonderful machines, it does require some concentration. And the visceral feel to the passengers usually leaves them hanging on, and in the case of the Lotus salesman who allowed me to drive the Exige S, it scared the bejesus out of him. Not so the Evora. It was able to go significantly faster without feeling like it was even stressed, absorbing the bumps like they didn’t exist while simultaneously feeding back through the steering the nuances of the road and providing such a prodigious amount of grip that I felt I could remove one hand from the steering wheel and rest the other on top like I was cruising the boulevard. As we pulled back into the Barn, Irena summarized: “Kyle, this car is so much easier to get into than the Elise…and it is much more comfortable to sit in…and you don’t feel the bumps as much…and it is so beautiful…I really like it…(pause)…if you want to get one, that’s alright with me.” Now, Irena never protests when I decide to add to the stable, in fact, she encourages the addiction, but to sanction the Evora is high praise indeed. While sounding like a simple endorsement, it was, actually, a thinly veiled simple request, “I want you to get one.”

It got me wondering, “Could the Evora be used as a daily driver?” Reams of paper have been printed on the sublime handling of the Evora, and seemingly hundreds of automotive journalists have waxed eloquent on the joys of performance driving an Evora. But what of its use in everyday driving? Is it up to the job?

Automotive engineers have long pursued a “holy grail”. That is the impossible task of designing a car that has the ability to handle the rigors of performance driving, provide a tactile feel to the driver that stimulates the senses, while simultaneously providing a usability that makes a car desirable to drive in all circumstances. Has Lotus accomplished this? Has the Evora finally combined the driving nirvana that all Lotus provide, but the practicality of everyday pedestrian vehicles?

I seek to find this “holy grail” as well. The brief excursion in the Evora provided a hint at its abilities, but how could I spend enough time it to draw any conclusions?

Fortunately, Richard was not to pick up the Evora for another day, allowing me to avail myself of its charms for another day. Even more fortuitously, when Richard returned the Evora to the Barn after LOG, I was able to ask Tom Popadopoulas to allow me to keep and use it for another week. “Sure, keep it as long as you want” was his reply to the query, an amazingly gracious response. I wanted to keep it forever, but thought another week would be adequate for my purpose.

So there it was, a Quartz Silver Evora optioned to the hilt with Premium Package, Technology Package, Sport Package, Close Ratio 6 Speed "Sport" Gearbox, Reversing Camera etc., poised on the driveway, ready for another jaunt through the twisty roads of central PA. But it was not to be. I had avowed to use it as I envisioned, as a daily driver. Meaning back and forth to work, the gym, the grocery store. Pick up a pizza, a case of beer, a 55” flat screen TV. I drove it to work several days in a row where it generated excitement amongst the hospital staff, almost making one colleague apoplectic and immediately popularizing me with the nursing students (even the pretty ones who generally ignore me). I picked up a pizza (it had to go in the back seat), and a case of beer (back seat again). Went to the grocery store (refrigerated goods in the rear seat, dry goods in the trunk), did an economy run (27.3 mpg over a 40 mile commute). I picked up the teenage daughter of a friend, took her for a ride and attempted to fit her in the back (she fit at 5’3” 98lbs but it wasn’t ideal). And for the record, a baby seat fits in the back. Along the way iPhones galore were whipped from pockets and aimed squarely at the Evora. Passers by stopped regularly to gawk at its gorgeous lines. Other cars got perilously close to attempt look at the badges and figure out what it was. And mile after mile of everyday driving were constant torture. Using the Evora in such a way is a difficult task. Not because it can’t do all of those things, it can (well, not the flat screen TV), but because every minute behind the wheel is a constant torture as there is temptation to veer from your intended course and just drive for pleasure, and what a pleasure it is.

This constant temptation reminds me of the Monty Python’s Tale of Sir Galahad. Sir Galahad the Chaste, in search of the Holy Grail, wounded, and attracted to the grail shaped beacon illuminated by the Castle Anthrax finds himself a prisoner. A prisoner of eight score blondes and brunettes between the ages of sixteen and nineteen and a half who are left to a life of bathing, dressing, undressing, and making exciting underwear. While searching for the Grail he has exposed himself to the greatest of temptations and put his vow of chastity in great peril. It is this peril of which I speak. The Evora is the Holy Grail. It has the capability to carve canyons, tame the dragon’s tail, eat up twisty B roads, and tear up the racetrack. It also has the docility to commute back and forth to work, to get groceries, and to go out for a night on the town. It is both of these virtues that will convince you that you need to have one and with the full complicity and sanction of your spouse no less. However, and you have been warned, to drive the Evora to work is to expose yourself to Galahad’s peril. As you will likely succumb to its charms, make a turn onto the back road and regularly arrive to you place of occupation late, angering your boss and endangering your livelihood. To place a dozen eggs, a sack of flower, a pound of butter and a quart of milk in the boot will likely result in a boot full of cake batter. And driving to any place where members of the opposite sex are inclined to congregate for merriment and entertainment will put your long term relationship in serious danger. Galahad was saved by Launcelot. I, on the other hand, received nor requested such succor, and succumbed to the perilous temptation that is the Lotus Evora. My fate has been sealed.

So if you are inclined to ignore my entreaty, then by all means, do so. Put yourself into great and rapturous peril. Ahh, sweet peril!

Kyle Kaulback

Enjoyed reading that, sums it up well. Many of my journeys have become a lot longer than they needed to be! In fact my parents (who live 75 miles away) have seen me more times in the few months since I've had the Evora than the rest of the last year put together :)