Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wanted: Old, old laptop - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wanted: Old, old laptop

Bibs

The TLF membership card printer is back up and running-ish, it's just the drivers haven't been updated since '05 and don't work on W7 64 bit would you believe!

I need an old laptop, XP/Vista vintage just to run this on, anyone care to donate one to TLF?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tux-yolinux-homeV2-t1.gif

Be cooool my bruda.

Sorry don't have a spare, I've just been switching my old netbook to Win 7 as I though it might be more salable on Ebay, tell me about win 7 drivers I've been stuffing with it for days (on and off) trying to get the correct and updated drivers working in 7, still no WiFi, or webcam, yet I can put a Ubuntu pen drive in it and do a full install in under 20 minutes, and it works.

Go on try Linux, you know you want to, and it much less resource hungry. :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

How about running a virtual XP machine on your Win 7 laptop using Virtual PC 2007 ?? Only needs to be a basic install with minimal resources... Would save on having to have extra hardware lying around.

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

Sounds odd. Be interested to know what kernel... If it can run off XP with drivers then the virtual machine option would be fine. Failing that, I can lay my hands on a number of redundant 5 - 8 year old laptops.

Happy to help out with either option :)

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

I'm sure you've already verified it, Bibs, but is the correct "default" printer selected with the checkmark symbol in the Printers Folder?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I solved my issue, when I upgraded XP to 7 it was just that an upgrade, I'm lead to believe that this is a no, no, because 7 thinks the XP drivers are OK and leaves them, when thy're not OK.

I re-formatted the drive, reloaded, still had the get the correct 7 drivers, but it's working fine, it'll be on Ebay tomorrow.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

What error are you getting when you try to print ?? There's no reason why the virtual XP machine would behave any differently to a physical one as long as its seeing the USB connected printer OK.

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

It comes up with a dialogue box in the system tray say it couldn't print, click it to run through the troubleshooter.

I'm attaching the printer via USB to the virtual machine just fine.

• 1 year later...

Just to reliven this, anyone got an old XP laptop they don't want and would like to donate to TLF please? Happy to pay a nominal sum and shipping etc?

Either that or a copy of XP I can use on CD?

Ta :)