Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Engine Cover Paint - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Engine Cover Paint

Hi All,

Thinking of re-finishing my S2 engine cover but am having a difficult time finding a suitable paint that will provide the "textured" satin black finish as per original. I looked at Hammerite but they seem to be specifically for metal. There are plenty of "hammer finish" paints available but they only provide a textured look - not an actual textured finish. I'll be removing all of the existing paint on the cover and starting from bare fiberglass. Has anyone managed to achieve a textured finish similar to the factory finish ?

Also, I'd like to refinish the underside of the cover as well and then glue on a thermo-acoustic barrier. I'd be most interested in any advice/comments from others who have addressed this same decision before.

Thanks,

Lou R

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I refinished my cover a number of years ago using SEM Hot Rod black paint - it has (IMO) the best mix of satin and gloss to match the original.  I was never able to get a textured finish but I'm happy with the outcome.  Just strip off the old paint down to the fiberglass, repair any gouges or deep scratches and then re-finish with a high build primer.  Once dry, lightly sand and then topcoat with the SEM Hot Rod black or whatever other paint you decide to muse.

Lou R

I have good results with that; used it on some of the under trays and also on the engine cover and side panels. It’s not shiny but has a silky matte finish. Rolled it on.

Ad initium

I’ve done those bits in 2017 and I can say the black coat stood the test of time, looks the same today. The roller provided a light texture as well.

DC764F4A-0F2E-4388-9C37-77E08438E3F6.jpeg

AD9E50CA-C4B9-4148-95AD-314393A2059C.jpeg

Ad initium

Though my engine cover is for an S1 I would agree with @Gisand consider Raptor by Upol. It can be applied in a number of different textures from smooth to heavily textured. It will be a process of testing configurations. It is also very hard wearing.

For under cover sound insulation I would suggest the material used by Porsche as advised by @Tony KI forget what it is called, but it is expensive.

• Like 1

I achieved excellent results using black Hammerite spray paint when I refinished all the panels and engine lid on my 84 turbo. Different model I know, but the texture and finish is a great match to the original. Can throw up a pic or two if amyone's nterested.