Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Car Rig - Page 6 - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Car Rig

Malcolm Feth

Yes, previous rig might look a little bit awkward, but that's the only photo when I used two camera to create timelapse :)

On 211 shot you get those little wiggles from shacking rig... Some people like it, others hate it. As you can see in my timelapse and other pics, I don't use tension cable. It's not needed for 4.5m long boom.
I'm thinking now to extend to 6 or 7.5m and I have idea how to do it without tension cable, but I need to experiment first. One change at a time.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My recent shots are at 24mm on 5D canon and 4.5 rig. Unfortunately my old lens (10-22mm) was not compatible with 5D. After last rigging, I've decided to get a better lens for the job and ordered 16-40mm L :)
Should be here by now, but I'm still waiting! Wrrr....

17-40mm or 16-35mm? I've got the 16-35mm, which is my standard wide, but a bit heavy to be happy to swing around at 6m. Of course you may find that the extra weight actually helps stabilise. I was more worried about the load at the farthest suction cup.

I picked up a 24mm f/2.8 IS partly for boom duty, which is nice and light but still plenty crisp.

I'm now waiting until after the Crystal Serum is applied so I don't feel as concerned about the cups marring the clearcoat. Not having rear glass cuts down my options a bit.

7 hours ago, Malcolm Feth said:

@VisualEchoscan you tell me what makes this photo your favourite?

Sure, be happy to.

Being a rigger myself, certain things look good to me, and certain things don't.  Let me compare the 4 shots you posted to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

1. This is your second strongest shot IMO.  Car is sharp, ground is detailed, exposure is perfect for the day, but the tree above the car hurts it, as does the fact that it looks like it's going so fast, but you're very near the beginning of a driveway, which totally undermines the shot IMO.  I see this all the time, it's a common issue.

2. Strongest shot easily.  Car appears to be on a race track, or near grandstands (where it belongs), no barrier in front, none in the back, super awesome leading lines, angle isn't too crazy, stupid sharp, reflection.  In fact, it just needs a crop to be on another level IMO.

3. This is a cool shot, but is hurt by the big white splotch above the bonnet, and the tire face towards the viewer.  You make those points back up for showing the driver's eyes, but it still doesn't beat #2 IMO.

4. This is the weakest of the bunch.  Odd angle, too tight, distortion, weird vantage, it just doesn't work IMO.

Now, having said that, you know I'm a critic, so most would fall in love with all 4, it's only because I'm particular, and I'm used to looking at rig-shots that I find any fault.  Great exposure on all, detail in the road surface (another common rig issue), sense of motion, they all rock in that regard.

Edited by VisualEchos
  • Like 1

- Andrew

@VisualEchos, thank you very much for your feedback. It's good to find out (in details) what you see and what I have missed. I agree with few things you mentioned, with other few not really, but that's how it is... Everybody has their own opinion and like something else. Notes taken and I will keep my eye in future for some of the issues you mentioned. For me #3 is still the best of bunch ;) 

My new lens should arrive tomorrow, so I'm hoping to take some car (or my TypeR) for some rigging next Saturday ;)

@Bibs I had to sell it after upgrade from 7D to 5D. Canon 5D does not support EF-S lenses. For a while I've managed to use 24-70 for rigshots, but after last session with the Exige, I decided to get something wider (with stabilization). This will be also a great lens for my trip to Geneva next month :)
I was thinking to maybe get 16-35 2.8L but for rigshots it makes more sense to get stabilization than brighter lens. 4 is still really good and it uses 77mm filters, which means I don't have to buy new set (currently running two sets of Hoya UV & Marumi SuperSlim CPL).

I think I will sell my 85mm 1.4. I barely use it...

• Like 2

Good call on the f/4. I've got the f/2.8 and it's a bit heavier, not significantly sharper and as you say the IS can be useful in some cases. I got the 24mm IS for the rig, but had variable results with it on. I suspect that it can cause odd effects.

When the boom bounces with a non IS lens, the whole assembly tends to rotate about the car. This causes the ripples we were discussing in the background.

If you have IS engaged, I suspect that the vertical linear component will not be removed by the IS element displacement, so the car itself becomes blurred by the amplitude of that vertical component. So, maybe watch out for that

The best FF rig-shot lens is the 20mm prime, if you're using 20 feet.  If not, then the Tokina 17mm prime is.

Remember, all rig-shots are taken between f9 & f11 where EVERY lens is sharp, so there is no need for heavy, 2.8 glass.  In fact, it hurts performance because of the weight.

Used Tokina 17mm ƒ3.5 FTW

- Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Something from this morning and not Lotus ;)
I still have few nice shots to work on from the exige and elise sessions.

This picture was taken with only 0.5 second exposure. I never tried such short time.

index.jpg.9f29cbe787feae198177dc839c14b99e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, Andrzej. I find the simplicity and airiness of that shot really pleasing. I like how the linear light "thing" chases down all the main body lines. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I haven't shared anything here for quite a while... so there you go...
We were shooting almost whole day inside, but I had some time left at the end and decided to the car out.
I managed to take a few rigshots with new GT430. I wasn't really planning to do so. I took the rig with me "just in case"... and it was a good idea ;)

IMG_6800_small_logo.jpg.66bd90f91eae2bc4877fcdad2d9b77b2.jpg

I've got an epic selfie with my enormous selfie-stick ;)IMG_6839_small_logo.jpg.d236b3075fda4a2aa011f6d76843c5d1.jpg

Edited by Malcolm Feth
  • Like 2