Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Taking S3 Lotus Esprit via Eurotunnel - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Taking S3 Lotus Esprit via Eurotunnel

electraglide

I want to take my Esprit to France. Its a standard ride height i.e. its not been lowered. I have just taken my family car to France via a car ferry and there is no way my Esprit would make it over the angles of the ramps on the ferry particularly the external dockside to ship ramps at low tide! Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of taking an Esprit on the Folkstone-Calais Eurotunnel and whether they had any problems at either end with steep ramp angles?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken Esprits on both the ferry and tunnel and not had a problem. The staff usually know a low car (which the Esprit isn't particularly) and are always very helpful in either giving you a thumbs up/down kind of assistance of blocking the ramp to other traffic so you can drive up it at an angle to get one wheel on the ramp at a time. On the tunnel, the top floor is OK but sometimes they direct you to the front of the train and lower, wider floor reserved for trucks. :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I took my MY2002 Esprit V8 (which has an extremely low front) on the Eurotunnel a couple of times, and as Bibs says, there were no problems at all with the ramps, and the staff were really helpful. They directed me out of the main flow and loaded me onto the lower level (for cars, not trucks) of the train, where there were very few ramps. The ramps that were there were fine.... I just had to drive slowly and carefully!

Rob S

I have taken the S350 (with low front) on the tunnel several times - no problem. When approaching the train the loading guys see you coming and will direct you to the lower compartment which is a level entry and exit. Some carriages only have one level so those are OK.

Only thing to watch is that you drive along the train inside and the gap between wheels and the side of the "road" is not great.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I have taken the TurboEsprit through the Eurotunnel, couple of ferries even a car train - never had any problem. As Bibs said, try to drive up the ramps on a 45 degree angle, if possible and you'll be fine...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have just been to France in my Renault ( couldn't take the Esprit for various reasons ) I phoned Eurotunnel to ask their advice and they just said 'simple, book it as though you had a roof rack with bikes on it' Can you imagine that? So I did and the Renault was directed into the 'tall vehicles' line after I'd explained I was pretending to be a Lotus! All worked fine I was directed to the low level on the train which would be ideal for the Esprit. Coming back we were directed onto the truck carrying train which was even better. Looking forward to taking the Esprit to France and Germany in May. Thanks for all the advice.