Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is the dash removable so I can repair the leather? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is the dash removable so I can repair the leather?

Afternoon all,

Can someone please tell me if the dash is removable as the leather has come unstuck right be the windscreen in the middle.

I'm on about the large flat panel that runs up to the base of the windscreen, I've got a 3" strip that has come unstuck revealing a strip of the white undercoat showing. It's not that obvious but it's annoying me!

I'm happy with getting the binnacle out (Well I say happy - I've done it a few times)

I'll try and grab a piccy later.

Thanks

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone?

Didn't get a pic as my MOT is tomorrow and the abttery was dead (Not flat unrecoverably DEAD) so had to swap it at Halfords.

Rich, if the S4 is anything like the S3 in this area, you are referring to the screen landing part of the dash. Your parts manual will demonstrate if they changed to a separate piece in the S4

In the S3, this is part of the body and therefore, not removable! Access is difficult as this part was trimmed before the screen goes in at the factory. Have a look at my dash retrim blog if this is the same with yours.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/blog/21/entry-41-screen-landing-re-trim-procedure/

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I've heard of people recovering the dash without removing the windscreen but I found it next to impossible to do a good job. The only way I was able to get a quality job was to remove the glass. The glass was just over the edge of the leather on the S4 I did...

1995 S4s

It would be quicker to have the windscreen removed, a windscreen guy would have it out in 20 minutes. A good opportunity to replace the front speakers too if they are getting old.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Yes I was planning on having a go but I suspect the leather has shrunk which will make it a nightmare.

Is the screen bonded in?

Thanks will haev a go.

It's in for it's MOT today so may haev higher priorities but will haev a go next week

Ta

Rich

Rich, my s4 has the same 3inch strip peeled away, on the windscreen edge between the binnacle and screen. As a temporary repair to hide the white colour underneath...ive got some high temp spray adhesive to stick it back down. However, before doing this is used a strip of black wiring insulation tape over the white showing, having tucked the.edges under the leather then glued the leather down.

Now you my think this mad, but the shade of colour of the tape is a match to the colour of the leather! So, without peering closely it just looks as if the leather has wrinkled a bit... A ten min job and it appears a lot better...one day it will be done properly as mentioned with tue screen out, but it wont be yet!

Oh and the speakers can be changed with the screen in place...i did!

Cheers was thinking similar thoughts.

It passed it's MOT with flying colours so I'll have a crack at the weekend if I get the chance.

Ta

Rich